Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
This is the definition of censorship;

Censorship is the suppression of speech, public communication, or other information. This may be done on the basis that such material is considered objectionable, harmful, sensitive, or "inconvenient". Censorship can be conducted by governments, private institutions, and other controlling bodies.

Would you also be happy to accept posts/comments of a racist/homophobic/vulgar nature, as that's what things could revert to, without some form of censorship?

I don't think you would, and as I said, I don't consider such restrictions as 'censorship' (although you obviously do), merely as a set of guidelines/rules which prevent such occurrences.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
Which is precisely what I was doing until the current debate on censorship - talking of which, is having an "ignore" facility censorship in a way?

The ignore function is not censorship at all.

You can choose not to listen or engage with someone, that is your right.

Ignoring someone is very different from de-platforming or cancelling

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
[MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION]’s made nsc a Covid misinformation free zone.

That’s not censorship, it’s highly responsible.

The subject matter here isn’t harmless - people die, fill icu beds, infect others.

Suckers wanting to tune in to the lies of UK and US loons/corrupt professors, know where to look, facebook and twatter awaits.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
[MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION]’s made nsc a Covid misinformation free zone.

That’s not censorship, it’s highly responsible.

The subject matter here isn’t harmless - people die, fill icu beds, infect others.

Suckers wanting to tune in to the lies of UK and US loons/corrupt professors, know where to look, facebook and twatter awaits.

It is censorship. You just happen to agree with it

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It is censorship. You just happen to agree with it

Not imho. Just responsible stewardship from the publisher, seeing the greater public good.

If I posted secondhand unfounded arguments as to why parents shouldn't have their kids inoculated for MMR, or questioned the existence of The Holocaust, it may not be illegal in this country, but I shouldn't be allowed to use someone else's platform to air lies that could lead others to be harmed or to hurt them.

A privately owned forum isn't a free for all.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Not imho. Just responsible stewardship from the publisher, seeing the greater public good.

If I posted secondhand unfounded arguments as to why parents shouldn't have their kids inoculated for MMR, or questioned the existence of The Holocaust, it may not be illegal in this country, but I shouldn't be allowed to use someone else's platform to air lies that could lead others to be harmed or to hurt them.

A privately owned forum isn't a free for all.

Whether it is your opinion or not, it is still technically censorship. In this case because some perspectives are considered harmful, which is a common reason for censhorship.

Not saying that all censorship is bad or that censorship is intrinsically evil/wrong - but it is censorship.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
we havent had a new mutant variant to scare us for a while.

nothing about it in scientific sources though, just the same piece syndicated across the web.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Whether it is your opinion or not, it is still technically censorship.

If that's the case, then we live with 'technical' censorship all day, every day of our lives, from morning till night. Of course, not everyone sees it that way, as that could prove intolerable.

Most people see it as a set of rules. which we (mostly) live by, in comfort. Of course, there are some who see it as blight on our 'rights', but they remain in a small minority, and the rest of us go about our business with no effect.

You seem to want to argue over definitions, rather than realities - good for you - fill your boots - unless you prefer anarchy?

Tbh, I don't actually know why I'm bothering. :) Have fun, anyway.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
The World Health Organization has issued a warning in the lead-up to Christmas, saying social mixing is back at pre-pandemic levels and threatens to spread the virus in the run-up to the holidays.

“We are concerned about a false sense of security that vaccines have ended the pandemic, and that people who are vaccinated do not need to take any other precautions,” WHO director-general Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said.

“Vaccines save lives, but they do not fully prevent transmission.”

Last week, more than 60% of all reported cases and deaths from Covid-19 globally were in Europe, Tedros told a news conference.

WHO emergency director Mike Ryan added: “We are back to pre-pandemic levels of social mixing (in Europe)... even in the midst of very strong resurgence in cases and even in the midst of some of those countries under high pressure in health systems.”

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Gotta love some good old-fashioned Aussie bluntness...

Aboriginal elders, health organisations and frontline workers in the Australia’s Northern Territory’s Covid outbreak have lashed out at false information about public health measures on social media, with the NT chief minister blaming the misinformation on “tinfoil hat wearing tossers, sitting in their parents’ basements in Florida”.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
Gotta love some good old-fashioned Aussie bluntness...

The Australian ARMY has now been brought in to TRANSFER INDIGENOUS peoples’ positive Covid cases & close contacts in the Northern Territories to quarantine CAMPS

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The Australian ARMY has now been brought in to TRANSFER INDIGENOUS peoples’ positive Covid cases & close contacts in the Northern Territories to quarantine CAMPS

The rest of that piece:

Over the past few days false claims have been circulating online that Aboriginal people from Binjari and Rockhole were being forcibly removed from their homes and taken to enforced quarantine in Howard Springs, and people including children were being forcibly vaccinated.

None of these claims are true, according to the Aboriginal Medical Services Alliance Northern Territory (AMSANT), the local Aboriginal health services and community leaders.

On Thursday, the chief minister, Michael Gunner, laid into “conspiracy theorists” online, blaming overseas groups for the misinformation.

“Hello to all the conspiracy theorists overseas watching this. Please get a life,” Gunner told a media briefing on Thursday.

“There are ridiculous, untrue rumours about the ADF’s involvement. As we all know, they aren’t carrying weapons – they are carrying fresh food for people.

“Ninety-nine-point-nine-nine per cent of the BS that is flying around on the internet about the Territory is coming from flogs outside the Territory – mostly America, Canada and the UK, people who have nothing better to do than make up lies about us because their own lives are so small and so sad.

“If anybody thinks that we are going to be distracted or intimidated by tinfoil hat wearing tossers, sitting in their parents’ basements in Florida, then you do not know us Territorians,” he said.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Problem specific to the Covid 'debate' on NSC is it doesn't really reflect the wider population. The fact that most of the population followed the lockdown rules and went on to have vaccines suggest the views of people like me are fairly mainstream while on here you got the impression they were up for debate, especially when a couple of posters with more out there beliefs get going.

Although to be fair there are examples of posters over exaggerating as well.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
The rest of that piece:

Over the past few days false claims have been circulating online that Aboriginal people from Binjari and Rockhole were being forcibly removed from their homes and taken to enforced quarantine in Howard Springs, and people including children were being forcibly vaccinated.

None of these claims are true, according to the Aboriginal Medical Services Alliance Northern Territory (AMSANT), the local Aboriginal health services and community leaders.

On Thursday, the chief minister, Michael Gunner, laid into “conspiracy theorists” online, blaming overseas groups for the misinformation.

“Hello to all the conspiracy theorists overseas watching this. Please get a life,” Gunner told a media briefing on Thursday.

“There are ridiculous, untrue rumours about the ADF’s involvement. As we all know, they aren’t carrying weapons – they are carrying fresh food for people.

“Ninety-nine-point-nine-nine per cent of the BS that is flying around on the internet about the Territory is coming from flogs outside the Territory – mostly America, Canada and the UK, people who have nothing better to do than make up lies about us because their own lives are so small and so sad.

“If anybody thinks that we are going to be distracted or intimidated by tinfoil hat wearing tossers, sitting in their parents’ basements in Florida, then you do not know us Territorians,” he said.

Anyone would think some people don't do their research when jumping on a statement that fits into their dystopian world view.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Problem specific to the Covid 'debate' on NSC is it doesn't really reflect the wider population. The fact that most of the population followed the lockdown rules and went on to have vaccines suggest the views of people like me are fairly mainstream while on here you got the impression they were up for debate, especially when a couple of posters with more out there beliefs get going.

Although to be fair there are examples of posters over exaggerating as well.

It's one single UK based poster on NSC who vocalises not having the vaccine and that's reflected in the national numbers, the UK has one of the highest uptakes in the world for adults. I'm pretty sure everyone else on these threads has been vaccinated and followed rules during lockdown.

I think you're confusing this with views on voluntary mask wearing and social distancing since they stopped being mandatory.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here