Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The only people in the example that appear to be anti-vaxxers were the couple in their 60's.

Just as in the example, I suspect anti-vaxxers actually are a minority throughout unvaccinated people, as it's an irrational view.

Ok - antivaxxers and the careless/forgetful/deluded/misinformed etc

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'm not going to get the vaccine and I don't fall under any of those categories.

The message to everyone in this country is clear: please get the vaccine if you can.

You say you can. You say you choose not to. You are part of the problem.

When millions of low-risk people say "I don't need the vaccine", that translates to lots of people ending up in hospital who don't need to. The odds of any given individual ending up in hospital is very, very small. Unfortunately when you take those odds and multiply it up to millions of people, the number who will need help can become quite large.

Our heath service is on its knees, and a contributing factor is the resources needed to treat those who chose not to take the vaccine, for whatever reason, including "I don't need to", who end up in hospital.

I repeat again: you are part of the problem, whether you can see it and will admit it or not. As the NHS doctor says: it's selfish and avoidable.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I hate doing this, but I'm going to make some back-end changes to NSC and those who peddle dangerous information regarding this, including "I don't need the vaccine" will now be excluded from these discussions.

It may influence others to think "I don't need the vaccine either" and I've read too many stories of people wishing they had taken this vaccine at the point it was too late for them to do so.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I hate doing this, but I'm going to make some back-end changes to NSC and those who peddle dangerous information regarding this, including "I don't need the vaccine" will now be excluded from these discussions.

It may influence others to think "I don't need the vaccine either" and I've read too many stories of people wishing they had taken this vaccine at the point it was too late for them to do so.

So you are excluding Mustafa? …..there seems to be a good balance of people on this thread so i cant see how for example he would be a great influence on people who surely can make their own minds up?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The message to everyone in this country is clear: please get the vaccine if you can.

You say you can. You say you choose not to. You are part of the problem.

When millions of low-risk people say "I don't need the vaccine", that translates to lots of people ending up in hospital who don't need to. The odds of any given individual ending up in hospital is very, very small. Unfortunately when you take those odds and multiply it up to millions of people, the number who will need help can become quite large.

Our heath service is on its knees, and a contributing factor is the resources needed to treat those who chose not to take the vaccine, for whatever reason, including "I don't need to", who end up in hospital.

I repeat again: you are part of the problem, whether you can see it and will admit it or not. As the NHS doctor says: it's selfish and avoidable.

This.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The ICUs are full of unvaccinated people of a certain age.

Anyone over 50, or even late 40's, choosing not to get the vaccine is mad... and these are the people putting unnecessary strain on the NHS.

I've been over my personal choice in depth on here before, and my view isn't going to change. However if I was over 50 I would get the vaccine in a heartbeat.

Bet people like this chap wish they'd had it as well - 'In hospital, Covid-19 has largely become a disease of the unvaccinated. The man in his 20s who had always watched what he ate, worked out in the gym, was too healthy to ever catch Covid badly'.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
So you are excluding Mustafa? …..there seems to be a good balance of people on this thread so i cant see how for example he would be a great influence on people who surely can make their own minds up?

Yes.

Allowing to someone repeatedly broadcast a message of "not needing the vaccine" doesn't sit well with me when all health leaders in this country are imploring everyone to get the vaccine if they can, as soon as they can.

I don't like excluding anyone from any conversation, as witnessed by my confession of probably being too lenient on others on other parts of the site, but I feel some responsibility here.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The ICUs are full of unvaccinated people of a certain age.

Anyone over 50, or even late 40's, choosing not to get the vaccine is mad... and these are the people putting unnecessary strain on the NHS.

I've been over my personal choice in depth on here before, and my view isn't going to change. However if I was over 50 I would get the vaccine in a heartbeat.

i know of two people who had trips to the hospital with covid thise autumn. neither thought they needed the vaccine, one an outspoken anti-vaxxer, the other a quiet refusnik. both in thier 30's.

the problem is your personal choice is impacting on others negatively and people are getting seriously ill due to this "i dont need it" attitude. abroad they are locking down nations because of minority following this train of thought. it may yet happen here, because of those that refuse to vaccinate when they can.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Yes.

Allowing to someone repeatedly broadcast a message of "not needing the vaccine" doesn't sit well with me when all health leaders in this country are imploring everyone to get the vaccine if they can, as soon as they can.

I don't like excluding anyone from any conversation, as witnessed by my confession of probably being too lenient on others on other parts of the site, but I feel some responsibility here.

Thanks for the reply ….i don’t agree with the decision, but then this board isn’t my responsibility. He’s made it clear its his personal decision as of now…….and from what I’ve seen not campaigned against vaccination

I will therefore exclude myself from any discussion on the covid forum (no great loss for anyone I’m sure).

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Thanks for the reply ….i don’t agree with the decision, but then this board isn’t my responsibility. He’s made it clear its his personal decision as of now…….and from what I’ve seen not campaigned against vaccination

He's gone well beyond "personal choice" numerous times, eg:

Getting vaccinated ... certainly isn't required in healthy people anymore.

The only people that need the vaccine now are the old and vulnerable.

This is completely at odds with all advice from all those in this country who are actually qualified to dispense advice to others.

I don't want anyone who uses this site to be influenced into a bad decision and end up as another one of these tragic stories:

Fit, healthy 42-year-old father who refused vaccine dies of Covid ‘wishing he had listened’ - https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/covid-vaccine-hesitant-john-eyers-dies-b1896650.html

'My super fit twin brother died of Covid wishing he had been vaccinated' - https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/uk-news/john-eyres-my-super-fit-21227018

Though young and healthy, unvaccinated father dies of COVID - https://apnews.com/article/health-coronavirus-pandemic-32b7763e53ec1c77b18e842a264ecb03

I will therefore exclude myself from any discussion on the covid forum (no great loss for anyone I’m sure).

Sure thing - you do whatever is right for you.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

I'm with the bossman on this one - he's persistently and repeatedly claimed that he 'doesn't need it because......', flying in the face of increasingly unanimous and data-supported views and evidence and arguing with anyone who suggests otherwise - if even one person reads that and thinks the same, doesn't get jabbed and then ends up very ill as a result it's a bad outcome.

The vaccine effectiveness in preventing death and serious illness is finally getting the profile it should have (and the opposite of course - the relative propensity of the unvaccinated to get seriously ill or worse, plus the impact of that on services). If he or anyone else suggesting they didn't need the vaccine was able to support his view with unequivocal facts then fair enough, but I don't recall much of that

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I'm with the bossman on this one - he's persistently and repeatedly claimed that he 'doesn't need it because......', flying in the face of increasingly unanimous and data-supported views and evidence and arguing with anyone who suggests otherwise - if even one person reads that and thinks the same, doesn't get jabbed and then ends up very ill as a result it's a bad outcome.

The vaccine effectiveness in preventing death and serious illness is finally getting the profile it should have (and the opposite of course - the relative propensity of the unvaccinated to get seriously ill or worse, plus the impact of that on services). If he or anyone else suggesting they didn't need the vaccine was able to support his view with unequivocal facts then fair enough, but I don't recall much of that

Climate change causes 150k+ deaths per year expected to rise to 250k+ per year. Do people get banned from threads for suggestions to drive somewhere? 1 out of every 20 deaths on the planet is due to alcohol, should people be banned for suggesting to have a beer?

It is Bozzas forum and decision obviously but if the real reason is "feeling some responsibility" rather than "difference of opinions" then there is a lot of inconsequency in that regard. There is a lot of things causing more deaths than covid - sugar for example - that appears perfectly fine to promote despite all the evidence saying it is bad for us.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Climate change causes 150k+ deaths per year expected to rise to 250k+ per year. Do people get banned from threads for suggestions to drive somewhere? 1 out of every 20 deaths on the planet is due to alcohol, should people be banned for suggesting to have a beer?

It is Bozzas forum and decision obviously but if the real reason is "feeling some responsibility" rather than "difference of opinions" then there is a lot of inconsequency in that regard. There is a lot of things causing more deaths than covid - sugar for example - that appears perfectly fine to promote despite all the evidence saying it is bad for us.

That's an absurd argument, imo.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I think you're bright enough to figure that one out for yourself - if you chose to.

Sounds to me like you want it to be "absurd" but you cant explain why it is.

Its pretty much the same thing:

Mostafa talks about not vaccinating. Not vaccinating is dangerous. Results in a lot of death. To possibly save a person or two, Bozza bans him from threads on that topic.

Someone talks about the best tasting biscuits. Eating biscuits is dangerous. Results in (even more) deaths. To possibly save a person or two, what happens?

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
Sounds to me like you want it to be "absurd" but you cant explain why it is.

Its pretty much the same thing:

Mostafa talks about not vaccinating. Not vaccinating is dangerous. Results in a lot of death. To possibly save a person or two, Bozza bans him from threads on that topic.

Someone talks about the best tasting biscuits. Eating biscuits is dangerous. Results in (even more) deaths. To possibly save a person or two, what happens?

There is a difference because:

- biscuits can safely be enjoyed as part of a balanced diet

- those who do eat too many biscuits (sugar) know this is bad for them. There aren't posts on NSC that are saying 'I can eat as many biscuits as I like as I'm young. People under 50 don't need to eat healthily', so there isn't a risk people will be misled into eating more biscuits, thinking it is fine.

The problem here is that there are some who could be influenced by content that is false or unscientific. There isn't any of that on the biscuit threads.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here