Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
The clamour is growing by the day for 21st June to be cancelled and moved until we have got on top of the third wave. I think we can forget the 21st June, I don't understand the clamour anyway when the mantra all along has been data not dates.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
When one reads stories like this, I have little wonder why things like Track & Trace are a waste of time in this country.

Paper.JPG

:facepalm:

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
The clamour is growing by the day for 21st June to be cancelled and moved until we have got on top of the third wave. I think we can forget the 21st June, I don't understand the clamour anyway when the mantra all along has been data not dates.
#Why are you so bothered? You're going to remain in hiding for months anyway, so you won't be affected. Do you realise that the single death recorded yesterday was from last February? When they said "data not dates", it was not with the proviso that a single case is too many.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

so lets wait to see what the data is in two weeks time, rather than fuel the clamour based on hypothesising and fears.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
15 months into this crises and people still come out with things like we shouldn't be held hostage by the NHS and criticising experts who between them have basically got it right at every turn.

I get the frustration at being close to normality after so long and the vaccine is the difference this time round but at the same time if some things can't return to normal until the vaccine coverage is higher than so be it and we will have to live with it for a little while longer.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
When one reads stories like this, I have little wonder why things like Track & Trace are a waste of time in this country.

View attachment 137243

:facepalm:

This is the problem with anything which relies on self-policing, it never ever works. If they aren't going to enforce the rules with proper enforcement agencies then what's the point of even having rules in place at all?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
This is the problem with anything which relies on self-policing, it never ever works. If they aren't going to enforce the rules with proper enforcement agencies then what's the point of even having rules in place at all?

This 100%. My theory is we would have been out of all restrictions months ago if the government and the police had been far more strict with their implementation and enforcement of rigid restrictions.
They have been far too soft and as a result we are still on Lockdown indefinitely.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Agree with the above, but it has as much to do with the approach of those subject to such restrictions.

On a similar vein, one only has to read the 'how to get around masks' posts when they attend a game.

Printed off certs of exemption, constant eating drinking/eating etc etc.

This country, and it's not alone, has its fair share of 'now, how can I beat the system?' rather than 'how might I help?'

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
15 months into this crises and people still come out with things like we shouldn't be held hostage by the NHS and criticising experts who between them have basically got it right at every turn.

I get the frustration at being close to normality after so long and the vaccine is the difference this time round but at the same time if some things can't return to normal until the vaccine coverage is higher than so be it and we will have to live with it for a little while longer.

So you think we should keep restrictions because of other illnesses now that are (predictably) now swamping the NHS because it was shut to anything but covid?

If so when does that end? 4.7 million now on the waiting list, a bad flu season would take those beds as well, do we lockdown for this as well?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So you think we should keep restrictions because of other illnesses now that are (predictably) now swamping the NHS because it was shut to anything but covid?

If so when does that end? 4.7 million now on the waiting list, a bad flu season would take those beds as well, do we lockdown for this as well?

What’s the 4.7m waiting list?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Tbh I expect measures such as lockdowns or restrictions to become more common from now on.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing

I would have thought the best way to reduce waiting lists is to keep people out of hospital after catching Covid?

Every time things improve we get the usual suspects come wading in with statements like 'this has to end now' as if the restrictions were unnecessary before going quiet when another wave started up. Now the increased coverage of the vaccine rightly reduces the chances of another wave capable of overwhelming the NHS but we apparently won't have Herd Immunity until September and a lot of younger people at the back of the queue will need to get to and from work.

I am not suggesting any rolling back of loosening of restrictions and I think we can go further on the 21st but equally I think anyone who thinks we will be entirely back to normal is being naive.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Many on here know my situation, so will think I'm just being over cautious for my own personal reasons.

However, the June 21st deadline does now seem to be an economic decision, to save the hospitality sector having another summer wiped out, where common sense says get everyone over 18 double jabbed - that though would likely take until late September - a decision the government clearly don't want to make for economic reasons.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
criticising experts who between them have basically got it right at every turn

I disagree with this.

The models have been wrong throughout the pandemic. At every stage of the roadmap there's been "experts" in the media saying we should delay opening, so far they've all been wrong. The same experts said opening schools would cause a spike in infections. These people don't seem to get pulled up when they're wrong but are happy to give the big I told you so when there has been a spike like at Christmas.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Many on here know my situation, so will think I'm just being over cautious for my own personal reasons.

However, the June 21st deadline does now seem to be an economic decision, to save the hospitality sector having another summer wiped out, where common sense says get everyone over 18 double jabbed - that though would likely take until late September - a decision the government clearly don't want to make for economic reasons.

Everyone over 18 wont get jabbed

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I would have thought the best way to reduce waiting lists is to keep people out of hospital after catching Covid?

Every time things improve we get the usual suspects come wading in with statements like 'this has to end now' as if the restrictions were unnecessary before going quiet when another wave started up. Now the increased coverage of the vaccine rightly reduces the chances of another wave capable of overwhelming the NHS but we apparently won't have Herd Immunity until September and a lot of younger people at the back of the queue will need to get to and from work.

I am not suggesting any rolling back of loosening of restrictions and I think we can go further on the 21st but equally I think anyone who thinks we will be entirely back to normal is being naive.

Even when everyone is jabbed it wont keep people out of hospital due to covid, and those that are at risk are in the large majority being protected from being sent into hospital.

They have had a year to come up with a plan to deal with this problem.

Young people are not getting hospitalised and those who are over 50 and have not have a jab, I couldn't care less about.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Cases up 32% weekly and hospitalisations up 23% which is particularly concerning given there is usually a few weeks lag between cases and those unfortunate people being poorly enough to have to go to hospital.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here