Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
I feel this lockdown in partnership with the vaccination and the long overdue travel restrictions provide a great opportunity for us to get on top of this. If we release too early and end up doing this again it will be inexcusable. Sadly we still have a some weeks of grim news re deaths and hospital admissions, but if we keep this effort up the continuing falling number of cases should hopefully herald in some more positive news sooner rather than later.

Had quite a distressing phone call with my mum who is in a nursing home and hasn't seen any family since March, has missed the birth of a great grand child and all her 9 grandchildren. Basically in tears sayin she cant cope and saying she wishes she was dead ( that left me with that cold feeling ) so yes I fully agree she would have taken the covid gamble rather than spending what could be over a year locked up. Its beyond crawl.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
https://www.bbc.com/news/health-55736239

Deeply concerning from Imperial College London that the current lockdown is not having the affect of getting the R rate beyond 1 and we can expect to see an increase in cases again very soon, putting massive further pressure on the NHS. The government really needs to act now and ensure extra enforcement of the current measures and indeed a tougher, longer lockdown to try and start seeing infections decline. Talk of emerging from lockdown in mid Feb or even March is beginning to look like pie in the sky.

Old news. Now below 1. Everyone needs to hold the nerve and stop panicking!

https://metro.co.uk/2021/01/22/uks-...-to-below-1-for-first-time-in-weeks-13949873/

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Had quite a distressing phone call with my mum who is in a nursing home and hasn't seen any family since March, has missed the birth of a great grand child and all her 9 grandchildren. Basically in tears sayin she cant cope and saying she wishes she was dead ( that left me with that cold feeling ) so yes I fully agree she would have taken the covid gamble rather than spending what could be over a year locked up. Its beyond crawl.

Very sorry to hear that I can only hope that she will be able to see both you and your family soon.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
there is, and i dont think people quite grasp the required level and length of lockdown to achieve this. people need to accept there will be deaths from covid, like other respiratory virus we live with.

I think most people understand this. I think most people would like to get to a level playing field first though!

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I think most people understand this. I think most people would like to get to a level playing field first though!

DW, I seem to remember you saying your wife(?) was particularly poorly and vulnerable, may I ask has she had her vaccine yet or is she one of the next in line?

Besides our obvious disagreements on near enough everything :lolol:, hopefully that will be some worry off your shoulders.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
DW, I seem to remember you saying your wife(?) was particularly poorly and vulnerable, may I ask has she had her vaccine yet or is she one of the next in line?

Besides our obvious disagreements on near enough everything :lolol:, hopefully that will be some worry off your shoulders.

What disagreements? :)

No, the wife is still waiting for her vaccine - I contacted our GP to ask if her jab was going to be tied in with her chemotherapy, as ideally she should have it 7 days before her next cycle - and guess what, no reply!

Not that there is any rush, as she has been told to continue shielding even when she has had the vaccine, as they have no data on how much protection, if any, the vaccine will give to those with blood cancer!

Carry On Shielding, sounds like a new bloody Carry On film, without the jokes or double entendre!

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Good old Boris. Bit selective to start the conference. Spoke about the new variant and it's increased lethality but no mention of the r rate dropping.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Suggesting Locking down longer

There we go, completely predictable.

Longer than when ? Not sure there's been any commitment to end lockdown - which is completely the right approach until the data supports it & no-one has much of a clue yet when that will be...............at least there are signs things are moving in the right direction (cases, R number, vaccinations and hospitalisations all starting to show positive trends to varying degrees, but will get worse in terms of deaths before it gets better)

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Incredibly bleak picture painted there by the scientists, even Boris who usually manages a positive spin on things couldn't raise anything to be optimistic about. Looks like we're in this lockdown for many more months, the summer and possibly beyond.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Longer than when ? Not sure there's been any commitment to end lockdown - which is completely the right approach until the data supports it & no-one has much of a clue yet when that will be...............at least there are signs things are moving in the right direction (cases, R number, vaccinations and hospitalisations all starting to show positive trends to varying degrees, but will get worse in terms of deaths before it gets better)

The Government suggested March all along, so anything beyond the starting to lift then (rightly or wrongly) is extending the lockdown as sold.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Yes - suggested, subject to circumstances permitting.....which they may or may not......

Come on, it’s wasn’t sold like that in the slightest - Once the at risked at jabbed lifting would start.

The Prime Minister said “We cannot consider unlocking until we know there are no new variants“

Does the above sound like we will be coming out anytime soon? It’s mutating, it’s what it does.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Incredibly bleak picture painted there by the scientists, even Boris who usually manages a positive spin on things couldn't raise anything to be optimistic about. Looks like we're in this lockdown for many more months, the summer and possibly beyond.

Funny. I thought the scientists were a lot more positive than is often the case.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014

It’s only being so cheerful that keeps you going.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Funny. I thought the scientists were a lot more positive than is often the case.

Same, as someone who watches all of these press conferences it was relatively upbeat, not that that says much considering the tone is always deathly gloom.

The way Boris said the new variant ‘might be more deadly’ was a despicable IMO, how can you use guesswork language like that. Science should be factual, don’t scare people with MIGHT or COULD, it’s almost as if it was a daily Mail headline. Horrible.

I feel for Crodo as he has made clear his circumstances but I try to skip his posts now as it genuinely is like reading a tabloid news article.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Come on, it’s wasn’t sold like that in the slightest - Once the at risked at jabbed lifting would start.

The Prime Minister said “We cannot consider unlocking until we know there are no new variants“

Does the above sound like we will be coming out anytime soon? It’s mutating, it’s what it does.

I still think restrictions will start to be lifted in March. Was never likely to be until after the 15m have been jabbed, plus another 3 weeks minimum. Anyone who thought otherwise was deluded.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here