Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Remember too that the scientists only told all 4 governments on Friday 18 December that the new variant probably carried a greater risk of transmission.

I don't think that is true. Hancock was confident enough to talk about it in Parliament on Monday 14th December. On Friday 18th a meeting was held and a formal note issued by NERVTAG to the Government.

Furthermore, the scientists who first discovered this were part of Public Health England, which is part of the Department of Health and Social Care, which is part of the Government. Consequently, the Government have been aware of this from the get go, right from when it was a complete unknown in September/October, when it meant nothing, through to when they received the formal note last Friday from NERVTAG.

Either the Government bodies weren't communicating between each other regarding a new variant that was increasingly likely to be serious, or they were.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
Just your opinions.

I recall the media and non-cabinet MP’s from several parties goading/pressurising Sturgeon and Johnson (did Drakeford receive the same?) throughout November and early December with “Are you going to allow families to see each other over Christmas, they’ve been through enough already?”. Sturgeon in particular and some Scottish universities were attacked for proposals for uni students to stay on campus. Public, media and political pressure was huge. Remember too that the scientists only told all 4 governments on Friday 18 December that the new variant probably carried a greater risk of transmission.

Aside from your inevitable churlish bitching about Johnson, how do you explain Wales being the CV19 capital of Europe? Far lower population north Wales doesn’t not balance out the shocking metrics in the towns and cities of south Wales. Drakeford’s serious tone and purported gravitas have done nothing to prevent the astonishing numbers.

Imho the 4 governments have faced one huge factor beyond their control .... Covidiots and Covid deniers doing exactly as they please, particularly post Lockdown 1. The mayor and a public official expert for Merthyr were interviewed on the radio recently. Through sampled track n trace working back from outbreaks, they established that illegal gatherings in homes had been THE key factor.

I watched a YouTube interview with a well respected scientist yesterday one of the things he stated is that 10% of those carrying this virus are causing the infections of 80% of the cases! It doesn't take too many prats to keep this thing spreading more and more.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
That's the thing, they had, no argument. But that was a Boris Johnson driven decision - It was not something that Drakeford, in particular, wanted to do as you will see from the fact it was immediately a diluted version of only 2 households then reduced to 1 day with country in lockdown from the 24th. The devolved governments were always under pressure once we knew that Johnson wanted to save Christmas and be the festive hero. Drakeford has not been perfect (His banning of golf continues to baffle me) but he's shown leadership and resolve that Johnson would not recognise.

You know, if we're comparing leaders, the striking thing from me is how serious Drakeford has been throughout - No jocularity, no fantastical promises, no tussled by design hair and a squiffy tie. Just factual serious messaging.

Drakeford’s refusal to see that the north and south of Wales are very different is frustrating to those of us in the north. Anglesey for example has just about the lowest infection rates in the UK but is in full lockdown. I think he is afraid that he will be criticised by his South Wales chums if we are seen to get preferential treatment.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
That prick Hancock is leading another briefing today at 3pm, I like to watch these to keep up with what the government are saying but I cannot stand the sight of this under qualified smug tw*t anymore

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Hancock looks like he is going to cry again. This won't end well.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I'm not sure there's any need to describe my comments as churlish bitching - I feel very strongly about what an appalling individual he is, just articulating that. I'm hardly alone.

That said, I agree, there's no doubt that people's actions are driving some of this, the behaviour of many in South Wales (and I assume in other parts of the UK) is astonishing, I've spent a lot of time in Swansea over the past few months and seeing packed out hairdressers without a mask in sight, people mingling in the pubs as normal was quite depressing. I called my father in law yesterday, he was round the house of one of his grandsons helping with DIY, passed over the phone to the grandsons girlfriend for a chat, I'm at a loss as to what to say, there's no telling some people.

We'll end it there, in the spirit of Xmas and all that. Have a nice break whatever you're up to.

[I fully accept that significant gaffs have been made btw, throughout I've envied the likes of Denmark and the Danish people. The estimated 1/3 of Brits who don't give a toss thesedays, are abhorant individuals].

D

Deleted member 22389

People around me are getting Covid19. Wife's parents, now our next door neighbour has it. I think Newhaven / Peacehaven is quite bad. Merry Xmas and try to keep safe.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
Why did the UK (having discovered the new strain in September) take until December to tell the rest of the world? Why did they continue international flights all over the place? It's been up to other countries to impose travel sanctions on UK.

I wonder why Trump doesn't come out and pillory the UK handling?

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
People around me are getting Covid19. Wife's parents, now our next door neighbour has it. I think Newhaven / Peacehaven is quite bad. Merry Xmas and try to keep safe.

It's absolutely rife in Sussex now. Up until the last couple of weeks I barely heard of anyone testing positive. In the last couple of days pretty much everyone I've spoken to knows someone who currently got it.

Now is definitely the time to take it seriously.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
It's absolutely rife in Sussex now. Up until the last couple of weeks I barely heard of anyone testing positive. In the last couple of days pretty much everyone I've spoken to knows someone who currently got it.

Now is definitely the time to take it seriously.

Not really sure what to make of your last point.

I took it seriously some 11 months ago. Problem is the twats that didn’t

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Vaccinations began in Sweden today... mainly people 90+ years old... I have some immoral thoughts about that - would have preferred giving it to 70-75 year olds etc.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
Yea or "prioritse those that are likely to have 10-15 years left", depends on how you see it.
That's a terrible way to look at things. With that argument we should terminate every child we know that will be born disabled and with a projected short life span. We're better than that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here