Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Making all venues close at a certain time in a densely populated city was always going to cause packed public transport, at a time when there is less bus and tubes services than during the day as well. It’s still a decision I can’t make sense of and I’ve yet to see a legitimate reason for such a high impact rule that will destroy an industry, does the virus wake up and become extra infectious after 10PM?

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Making all venues close at a certain time in a densely populated city was always going to cause packed public transport, at a time when there is less bus and tubes services than during the day as well. It’s still a decision I can’t make sense of and I’ve yet to see a legitimate reason for such a high impact rule that will destroy an industry, does the virus wake up and become extra infectious after 10PM?

You know what, I reckon it might be due to the fact that p1ssed up eejuts become less aware of social distancing when they've had 2½ pints.

I might be wrong though......

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Genuine question from a position of ignorance, does the assistance announced apply to all those?

self employed income support grants have been extended.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Suggest you reread ..my post doesn’t say that....there is a difference in emphasis if you look at there plan ..and i was merely posing the question

There's a strong implication that here in the UK we are either not paying enough attention to hospitalisations or paying no attention to hospitalisations. I don't believe either is true.

Our hospitalisations are rising quite rapidly, and we're increasing restrictions. That strikes me as the right thing to do.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Dublin's wet pubs are closed, whilst restaurants and pubs that serve food can only operate outdoors currently.

Would people prefer we do the same immediately, or try a less-forceful approach first and see if it works?

I'd have preferred a step by step approach to reopening. I would have been quite happy with pubs and restaurants reopening starting with a 10pm curfew, monitor that and only extend when it's clear numbers are staying low.

Eat out to help out, message to get out might have helped those places short term, but if they have to shut again could be devastating. It was a gamble to open up as much as we did, and now people have got used to old routines, drinking with friends again, to pull back once more is tough to impose.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
You know what, I reckon it might be due to the fact that p1ssed up eejuts become less aware of social distancing when they've had 2½ pints.

And you do realise the people who want to get ‘pissed up’ will still be able to get pissed by 10pm? ???

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
There's a strong implication that here in the UK we are either not paying enough attention to hospitalisations or paying no attention to hospitalisations. I don't believe either is true.

Our hospitalisations are rising quite rapidly, and we're increasing restrictions. That strikes me as the right thing to do.

I don’t disagree with the need for restrictions of some sort at all....but I will sometimes question the methods that are used to try and achieve that goal..to help me more fully understand the reasoning behind sone decisions

I fully agree with the first sentence

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

How about the people that are not pissed up still being kicked out at that time?

Its an ill thought out idea.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I feel we're back to the common sense and acting responsibly with consideration for others mantra.

Eh? If people want to go out and get pissed mate, they will. Closing at 10 makes no difference to whether people have common sense or not. If anything it could make the situation worse, people who want to get sloshed will just drink more in a shorter period and then get on buses and tubes after :shrug:

I’ve still yet to see a valid reason why 10pm makes any difference to the spread of the virus, all it does it destroy an industry that’s already on its knees from closing for 3 months the first time. It’s potentially very small gain for a massive smack in the face to the hospitality industry.

Ok, kill everyone instead. Bravo.

Oh, I see you’re one of those types. Sigh.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Selfish behaviour such as denying people the ability to earn money, businesses to be open ?

Which has a knock on affect to those peoples well being?

You are correct.

A free-for-all, no restrictions will mean businesses can operate freely.

Get on with it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here