Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
In a roundabout way I agree with you, especially as they give Climate Change deniers a lot of exposure when the science is fairly much all behind man made climate change being real.

i don't see how any rational minded person could not think that the activity of nearly 8 billion humans that have come out of nowhere ,in the blink of an eye literally, will not have an effect on the environment.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I do see this as MSM jumping on things as they always do....I’d challenge the well known fact bit ...prior this pandemic I doubt whether many people would have even heard of the guy let alone know he was previously involved at such a high level with GSK ...so to I’d say to the majority of people this will come as a tad of a surprise....do I think it’s influencing things ..nah ...they aren’t even involved in the ‘Oxford’ one (although have partnered up with another company)..but just maybe it would have been prudent for him to dump them..

For disclosure purposes I do hold shares in GSK

Quite frankly I am disgusted that the Chief Scientific Officer used to work for and lead one of the worlds top scientific companies - disgraceful.

Glad this sort of logic isn’t applied to politics, or we wouldn’t have that nice Matt Hancock in charge of the country’s health...

Last edited:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
shirley its for business to define viable jobs, not the government? we havent gone full state control yet.

Also, this is the final straw for clubs/late night bars/ some arts/Hospitality

No support for Aviation/Local football clubs like Eastbourne

All things the Gov have shut down

All Viable jobs when open

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
The new Scottish laws forbid students returning to their home at their parents (another household).

Now social prisoners of their halls of residence/digs, with no student parties, gigs or the Union Bar.

What a grim existence, especially for youngsters.
Can they really 'forbid' students returning home? I know there is talk of students, generally, being advised not to return home for Christmas for fear of spreading the virus to the olds, but in reality it isn't just Christmas is it. Following the logic, surely they shouldn't go home until a vaccine is found.
Hmm, I just can't see such draconian rules/advice being adhered to.

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I guess “viable jobs” discounts anyone on a zero hours contract then...

on the contrary, flexible workers would benefit as employers and employees can adjust work patterns more easily.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Common sense, it ain't so common is it?

If folks simply used their noggin instead of 'what ifs' and realised the whole idea was to minimise the risk of infection I'm sure the world would run smoother.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Policies made on the hoof without 5 seconds thought.

There's a whole load of countries, or cities/regions within countries, where 10pm curfews had already been put in place ahead of our own, most notably Belgium where the measure seems to be credited with being a significant factor in suppressing their second wave.

As I'm not sure your accusation is well-founded - you could probably call them copy-cats with some accuracy though.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
But how is it a viable job, when it has no set hours or no guarantee of hours?

you mean like self employed? or banked staff, or freelance? the job is viable and required because someone needs some work doing.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
There's a whole load of countries, or cities/regions within countries, where 10pm curfews had already been put in place ahead of our own, most notably Belgium where the measure seems to be credited with being a significant factor in suppressing their second wave.

As I'm not sure your accusation is well-founded - you could probably call them copy-cats with some accuracy though.

odd isnt it, how anywhere else applies same policies without comment, when we do here its wrong.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
The Covid Marshalls are here for your safety people. Treat them with the respect they deserve.

[tweet]1309410365361487872?s=20[/tweet]

[tweet]1309410365361487872[/tweet]

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
odd isnt it, how anywhere else applies same policies without comment, when we do here its wrong.

Dublin's wet pubs are closed, whilst restaurants and pubs that serve food can only operate outdoors currently.

Would people prefer we do the same immediately, or try a less-forceful approach first and see if it works?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Just for clarity it wasn’t the whole of Belgium (from what i can see) but Antwerp....and not purely aimed at pubs but part of an overall curfew ...all businesses were closed between 11pm and 6 am.

Interesting article here

https://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/...ement-coronavirus-covid-19-pubs-opening-hours

I see Belgium have now instigated a new policy re Covid....part of which concentrates on hospitalisations rather than case numbers....wonder if we will follow suit in time?

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex

No No, its a silly policy in what ever country its applied in...TBF in a country pub it would be OK but not in a city, but then again in a lot of rural England Covid is almost non existent.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I see Belgium have now instigated a new policy re Covid....part of which concentrates on hospitalisations rather than case numbers....wonder if we will follow suit in time?

Do you really think our escalating hospitalisation (and death) numbers are playing no part in what we are doing?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here