Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Other half works at local Waitrose and says the same.

One of her her jobs is doing the reductions and she says no matter how many times the selfish cretins are told to keep their distance, they still crowd close around looking to pick up a bargain. Makes me so angry and worried.

I’m not overly bothered about people getting close, just because if I get it I’m more likely to get it from one of the hundreds of crew I see every other day

But I get the stuff that are getting annoyed - think so will just leave soon

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
As well as M&S and Poundland, I was in Morrison's earlier too and it's now a 3 items of beer & 3 bottles of wine per customer limit since I was last in there due to customer demand.

Looks like more people have finally discovered M&S is a winner too, as there was a far bigger queue to get in than last time and very little wine left under £10 a bottle. I made my first >£30 Contactless payment in there as well.

There's certainly some serious drinking going on in the country.

(I helped myself to 3 cases of Heineken at £8 each and 3 bottles of on offer Wolf Blass in Morrison's as they were there though, in addition to the 2 bottles of £10 Argentine red I picked up in M&S . :drink: :drunk: )

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Also just to clarify that death number, 40 of the deaths are deaths from Scotland that weren’t previously added to the death toll which means the number is slightly down on yesterday’s death toll. Daily cases also down a couple of percent.

Obviously still terrible numbers, but small solace in the fact they aren’t massive increases again

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
So the rate of infection has slowed down very slightly just a few actually.... is this a result of social distancing or just more tests being done meaning more infections confirmed. I hope it's the latter rather than social distancing isn't reducing the numbers in a bigger way than is hoped?

Its pretty busy out and about. Not sure it will impact it that much.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
So the rate of infection has slowed down very slightly just a few actually.... is this a result of social distancing or just more tests being done meaning more infections confirmed. I hope it's the latter rather than social distancing isn't reducing the numbers in a bigger way than is hoped?

Bit of both - social distancing will take weeks to have a real impact, as we have seen in Italy. Just have to hope our plateau is slower and lower than theirs.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Its pretty busy out and about. Not sure it will impact it that much.

Bit of a generalisation, I'd say.

Sorry to hear it's not being adhered to where you live, has been a massive difference in my location.

Studies suggest there has been a change of 70% in social contact, meaning (approx.) a change in rate of transmission from 2.6 to 0.6. Pretty big difference to be fair, even if they're some way off with calculations.

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
Bit of a generalisation, I'd say.

Sorry to hear it's not being adhered to where you live, has been a massive difference in my location.

Studies suggest there has been a change of 70% in social contact, meaning (approx.) a change in rate of transmission from 2.6 to 0.6. Pretty big difference to be fair, even if they're some way off with calculations.

Do you have a link to that study? Don't doubt what you're saying, but have tried a Google search & can't seem to find it.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Do you have a link to that study? Don't doubt what you're saying, but have tried a Google search & can't seem to find it.

Apologies in that I may have amalgamated two studies.

The first - relating to the transmission rate - is referred to in this tweet;

[TWEET]1245284388004298752[/TWEET]

I recommend following Prof Karol Sikora - he is rational, level-headed, constructive and positive.

Here's the study - they give themselves a margin of error of something like 0-39-0.89;

https://www.lshtm.ac.uk/newsevents/news/2020/reproduction-number-covid-19-could-be-below-one-uk-lockdown

Last edited:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Dicsussion Thread

Masks work. Who would have thought it?
Whilst we’ve (the West) been sneering at SE Asian Countries for wearing them, those clever Czechs have emulated their tactic and slowed the spread:

https://youtu.be/jZtEX2-n2Hc

The WHO are now looking at the evidence and we could see a worldwide change of advice soon.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-52126735

Will our government follow the lead of the WHO if they change their advice?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
[TWEET]1245466020053164034[/TWEET]

Didn't put this in the good news thread as - whilst it looks increasingly positive for Italy, and to a lesser extent Spain, the US is still concerning.

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003

I recommend following Prof Karol Sikora - he is rational, level-headed, constructive and positive.

Here's the study - they give themselves a margin of error of something like 0-39-0.89;

https://www.lshtm.ac.uk/newsevents/news/2020/reproduction-number-covid-19-could-be-below-one-uk-lockdown

Thanks!

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    26.1 KB · Views: 160

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
As another aside, I’ve known racists before, who love a good Indian or Chinese meal. I guess their reasoning is “ the food’s allowed, but no Pa*i’s in my country”.

I went for an Indian meal with a group of colleagues once in Manchester - great restaurant, excellent meal and service etc. We got a cab back to the hotel and one of our group started chatting to the Asian driver......long story short he ended up rowing with him going into a rant about '****ing Bangladeshis in this country.......' etc. Irony totally lost on him of course :shrug:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I went for an Indian meal with a group of colleagues once in Manchester - great restaurant, excellent meal and service etc. We got a cab back to the hotel and one of our group started chatting to the Asian driver......long story short he ended up rowing with him going into a rant about '****ing Bangladeshis in this country.......' etc. Irony totally lost on him of course :shrug:

Surely the curry mile in Rusholme? Marvelous place!

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

PS this is the same Prof Karol Sikora that advocates getting rid of the NHS. I recommend Anthony Costello, Tedros, and Neil Ferguson. I don't recommend Patrick Vallance who, unfortunately, is in a position of maximum influence.

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea
PS this is the same Prof Karol Sikora that advocates getting rid of the NHS. I recommend Anthony Costello, Tedros, and Neil Ferguson. I don't recommend Patrick Vallance who, unfortunately, is in a position of maximum influence.

Tedros, no. Neil Ferguson absolutely, been following his analysis since January and was shot down many times quoting his predictions.
They've all come true.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here