Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I haven’t, but daughter went to her local Asda at 8am this morning and said there were dozens outside waiting when it opened......unfortunately it was an ‘NHS Hour’ 8-9 so they had to carry on waiting......

I don’t get why people are doing it. I’ve been to the ‘main’ supermarket once in the last 2 weeks to get some staples we were getting low on, and to shops within walking distance twice for fresh fruit, veg and meat. Only time I’ve used the car in all that time was for the one supermarket visit. Wife’s car hasn’t been used at all. Only one of us goes to the shop (if we’re out for a walk, still only one of us will go in) - immediately halving the risk of catching/spreading the virus. There’s not even any need to queue up early now......unless I was particularly lucky on my two shop visits, everything I needed was in stock.

A similar story for me. I’m not averse to getting up early, but I refuse to do so to stand outside in the cold for a couple of hours to be one of the ‘winners’ in the groceries race.

Boils down to control freakery. By the time I get there, I have to be flexible and take some different options on brands or food types to our norm. For some others that would ruin their week. Human nature can be weird.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
A similar story for me. I’m not averse to getting up early, but I refuse to do so to stand outside in the cold for a couple of hours to be one of the ‘winners’ in the groceries race.

Boils down to control freakery. By the time I there, I have to be flexible and take some different options on brands or food types to our norm. For some others that would ruin their week. Human nature can be weird.

Exactly.......done a bit of on the hoof meal planning whilst in the shop, plenty there to be able to get meals for 3-4 days at a time as long as you’re prepared to be a bit flexible. It’s really no drama.......

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

Boils down to control freakery. By the time I get there, I have to be flexible and take some different options on brands or food types to our norm. For some others that would ruin their week. Human nature can be weird.

Exactly.......done a bit of on the hoof meal planning whilst in the shop, plenty there to be able to get meals for 3-4 days at a time as long as you’re prepared to be a bit flexible. It’s really no drama.......

Before the crisis used to go to the supermarket with a shopping list, now go without one, and just get what is available, and work menus around the items we have been able to get. I find this works and is less stressful than going with a list (now) and fretting because you couldn't get certain items.

May even stick with this approach once we are back to normal.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
When talking peak, is everyone talking about peak increase in infections, peak hospitalisations, or peak deaths? Each will obviously have a different date.

I think deaths... well i was talking deaths... as grim as that sounds.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
I haven’t, but daughter went to her local Asda at 8am this morning and said there were dozens outside waiting when it opened......unfortunately it was an ‘NHS Hour’ 8-9 so they had to carry on waiting......

I don’t get why people are doing it. I’ve been to the ‘main’ supermarket once in the last 2 weeks to get some staples we were getting low on, and to shops within walking distance twice for fresh fruit, veg and meat. Only time I’ve used the car in all that time was for the one supermarket visit. Wife’s car hasn’t been used at all. Only one of us goes to the shop (if we’re out for a walk, still only one of us will go in) - immediately halving the risk of catching/spreading the virus. There’s not even any need to queue up early now......unless I was particularly lucky on my two shop visits, everything I needed was in stock.

I don't get it either... We got a friend to do our shopping once in 2 weeks when she did hers. We didn't even do a big shop. Are people genuinely worried that they are going to starve to death... ridiculous

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
on another note has anyone seeing these videos doing the rounds about the Corona being a hoax and it is due to 5g being so dangerous that they are trying to keep people off the streets. In china they are pulling down these masts and birds have been dropping down dead everywhere...

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
The most ironic thing is what these morons don’t realise, is that by going out and doing that they are only extending this lock down. Where are these people driving even going?

Drove home from work this afternoon, people sitting on Hove lawns all close together. I even noticed groups sitting together on the beach.

The best thing is when delivering to some Sainsbury's local store we have to go through the front doors, some of the people queuing have have even asked if I could just get them some items for them.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
on another note has anyone seeing these videos doing the rounds about the Corona being a hoax and it is due to 5g being so dangerous that they are trying to keep people off the streets. In china they are pulling down these masts and birds have been dropping down dead everywhere...

No. I think we can safely rule that theory out.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Watching the BBC news, it's so sad and so depressing.
Those poor people in NI especially the old boy that could not go to his wife's funeral and the doctor who died after returning to help out after 40 years service.
There was noticeably far more traffic in Plymouth today, what are people thinking of, don't they realise that far worse is still to come and how there selfish actions are actually putting many people's life at risk.
We are going to have to have full lockdown, you can't trust people, it's something we should have done at least 2 weeks ago.
I'm have been trying to stay calm but I'm getting really angry now that we just have not done the right thing to at least try and stop it.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Before the crisis used to go to the supermarket with a shopping list, now go without one, and just get what is available, and work menus around the items we have been able to get. I find this works and is less stressful than going with a list (now) and fretting because you couldn't get certain items.

May even stick with this approach once we are back to normal.

Definitely.......doing exactly this......

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I’ve taken a part time time job in ASDA to top up my 80 percent and for something to do to stop me going crazy for 2 months.

I see the same people every shift coming in for a single item or so - can of Coke, bag of crisps etc.

So for some it is!

Other half works at local Waitrose and says the same.

One of her her jobs is doing the reductions and she says no matter how many times the selfish cretins are told to keep their distance, they still crowd close around looking to pick up a bargain. Makes me so angry and worried.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds

I’ve seen a few of these, and it’s an interesting coincidence that 5G was rolled out in Wuhan at the back end of last year. I think that much is true.

However, how would it explain the massive death toll in places like Iran, where to my knowledge, the 5G scene ain’t that great?

There were some relatively convincing 9/11 conspiracy theories back in the day, but when you start to think about how many people would have had to have ‘bought in’ to such a thing you realise how unviable that would have been. This though? This is global. As a very minimum, you’d need hundreds of thousands of health professionals globally to be in on it.

As conspiracy theories go, this one’s lazy. But then, the average person is a bit daft, so don’t expect Apple to be launching their new 5G wonderphone anytime soon.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Other half works at local Waitrose and says the same.

One of her her jobs is doing the reductions and she says no matter how many times the selfish cretins are told to keep their distance, they still crowd close around looking to pick up a bargain. Makes me so angry and worried.

Surely this is partly the supermarkets fault? This is what reductions are designed to do.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Just heard a good friend from my London days in the rockabilly scene and DJ on the scene has committed suicide linked to depression and his last conversation about the virus to another friend, spare a thought for those with mental health issues.

I’m now on three people I know who have died, let this ****ing thing be over, ****in Chinese eating ****in bats ****k off

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I was wondering where all the loons had gone I have found you all safe and well on this thread, conspiracy theories and anecdotal stories are be more dangerous than the virus it's self my advice don't go on Twitter, Facebook limit your time on here and follow the Governments advice stay at home don't mix with others outside of your household limit time out to try keep you and yours safe, this virus will run its course as did The plague, Spanish Flu, Ebola and SARS it is highly unlikely you will die sit tight and do somthing useful as necessity is the mother of invention just look at the two Italian lads who converted a snorkelling mask into a respirator mask, we all have it within us go serch for your inner creativity, peace love goodnight all

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
this virus will run its course as did The plague, Spanish Flu, Ebola and SARS

Ebola and SARS were not pandemics. If this "runs it's course" in the way that Spanish Flu and The Plague did, we will looking at between 100 and 200 MILLION people dead.

I don't think it will be that bad but it'll still be enough for me to treat overly flippant opinions on the matter with the utmost scrutiny.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Surely this is partly the supermarkets fault? This is what reductions are designed to do.

So despite the warnings around the store, markings for where people should stand and general awareness of social distancing, these vultures still can’t wait a few minutes for her to finish marking down the items in that area without getting up close?

No, these people are thoughtless and selfish.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Just heard a good friend from my London days in the rockabilly scene and DJ on the scene has committed suicide linked to depression and his last conversation about the virus to another friend, spare a thought for those with mental health issues.

I’m now on three people I know who have died, let this ****ing thing be over, ****in Chinese eating ****in bats ****k off
I am very sorry to hear of your loss. That's terrible to hear, especially in the light of the two other losses.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
There are so many figures being thrown around that you can get a bit lost in the deluge. One simple figure I just heard made an impact: at the royal Berkshire Hosptial yesterday, a grand total of 7 staff were given the Covid test.

A couple of weeks ago unless I misheard, our wonderful PM was taling about 250K (not 'just' 25K) tests a day being administered.

My daughter-in-law works on the wards at St Richards in Chichester.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here