Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Interesting thing with swine flu is that it killed about 12000 people in the UK alone, and yet we never closed borders or quarantined towns or even really worried about it too much. I guess because we couldn't distinguish it from normal flu.

But as soon as we have 1 death from coronavirus in UK we will all start panicking.

Not that panicking might be inappropriate in this case.

My granddaughter caught swine flu aged 8. Nobody else in the family, including her 5 year old brother, caught it. I helped to nurse her.
These viruses are strange because being in contact with them doesn’t automatically mea n infection.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
My granddaughter caught swine flu aged 8. Nobody else in the family, including her 5 year old brother, caught it. I helped to nurse her.
These viruses are strange because being in contact with them doesn’t automatically mea n infection.
Similar experience with our now 17 year old who was probably about 6. He was quite poorly with swine flu, but we were all okay.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I’m not worried nor am I going to panic. We’ve had over 300 people in this country who had had contact with the virus, and very few have developed it, with none dying.
I’m not playing down what is happening in the world but neither am I going to keep searching for figures every day of various countries around the world so I can frighten myself to death.
As I posted earlier in this thread, I survived a smallpox outbreak in Brighton in 1952, and the Asian flu epidemic in 67/68 winter.

Absolutely this.

The scaremongering on this is unreal and some of the posts on here are bordering on sheer panic. Try spouting some of these stats to my partner who’s a ward sister and she’ll tell you there are far more important things to worry about - like savings peoples lives who are actually ill.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I really suggest you try your hardest to try and avoid this topic for a few days. It seems to have totally consumed you. You will do some long term damage to your mental health if you continue to work yourself into a panic every single day about something completely and utterly out of your control.

Not sure I'd want 'Solid at the Back' at the heart of our defence. He'd panic the living daylights out of everybody!:D

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Same old.

Don't forget, this is a country where, within the last 15 years, a political leader declared 'there are no gay people in our country'.

Italy is a major source of scientific fraud in my research area. Dwarfed only by....China*. Who knew? :shrug:

*And America.

This has all the hallmarks of a weapons grade virus - ten times as lethal as flu, but spreads less easily. But nowhere near less easily to be containable, especially given that it incubates (no symptoms during the first few days after you are infected).

If I were tasked with designing a major disruptive weapon, this would be it. Stage two would be designing a more easily transmissable version, and of course a vaccine (for 'local' use).[\B]

That's just a guess of course. This could easily be just a coincidental mutation of something mundane, such as measels, mumps and rubella (hi there, Andy Wakefield) or yoghurt. Before you all shit yourselves, I made that last bit up (yoghurt is not a virus). Wakefield is a ****, though.

Maybe this virus is 'the vaccine' against the one in the next door lab that is much worse ?

I reckon Porton Down is all over the samples from our quarantined 'lab rats'.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

Well, when you say 'these viruses' you mean 'all viruses', no virus has a 100% infection rate. So when you say 'strange' you mean 'completely normal' :thumbsup:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I was tempted to start a thread on this (a related topic) and apologise if there is a thread on it already:

How many of you have been ill for months with a 'cold'?

Mine started in November, with a cough that I still have (it comes and goes). Sometimes the cough is debilitating (I pulled varous intercostal and abdominal muscles a few weeks ago, while barking at the moon). My right ear has been on 50% receptivity for 6 weeks owing to congestion. Low energy....

What worries me is that this virus is softening me up so that when the corona virus arrives I'll soon be toast.

I know at least 5 people who have had the same thing, all adults. Things like this didn't exist in the 60s. I am prepared to accept this is simply the product of viral mutation and easy trasglobal spread, because I'm not a conspiracy theory-loving looney. But on the other hand.

I think I'll scrub that appointment at work in London later today.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I was tempted to start a thread on this (a related topic) and apologise if there is a thread on it already:

How many of you have been ill for months with a 'cold'?

Mine started in November, with a cough that I still have (it comes and goes). Sometimes the cough is debilitating (I pulled varous intercostal and abdominal muscles a few weeks ago, while barking at the moon). My right ear has been on 50% receptivity for 6 weeks owing to congestion. Low energy....

What worries me is that this virus is softening me up so that when the corona virus arrives I'll soon be toast.

I know at least 5 people who have had the same thing, all adults. Things like this didn't exist in the 60s. I am prepared to accept this is simply the product of viral mutation and easy trasglobal spread, because I'm not a conspiracy theory-loving looney. But on the other hand.

I think I'll scrub that appointment at work in London later today.

You probably have secondary infections. Have you been to the quacks?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You probably have secondary infections. Have you been to the quacks?

Yes indeed. Sat in the waiting room for a full 90 minutes. Doc measure my body temperature, declared it normal, and diagnosed a viral infection for which, as we all know, has no cure.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yes indeed. Sat in the waiting room for a full 90 minutes. Doc measure my body temperature, declared it normal, and diagnosed a viral infection for which, as we all know, has no cure.

Rest. Don’t underestimate the value of rest.
I had sinusitis for weeks feeling really grotty, and when I went to the doctors, he said rest completely for a few days, as it’s the only way to completely throw off an infection. Three days in bed, a couple of hot toddies, and that did the trick.

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
[ Three days in bed, a couple of hot toddies, and that did the trick.[/QUOTE]

Any excuse for a tot :smile:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Is this good or bad, I'm so lost on this now.
This virus has got my anxiety so bad the Mrs and my mum recommended I see a doc, so I did and they've signed me off work and given me propranolol. I'm just worried as have an 11 month old child that I'm worried I couldn't protect if they got it
I would think the main danger to your 11 month old child right now is the mental state of his father. Your family are worried about you and you've been signed off work. You really should stop reading this thread, stop watching the news and try to forget about this for a while. You're not a lead advisor in the fight against the virus, it's not your job to fix it, and you can't fix it. You only have the power to do one of two things - either continue following the news about it, and damage your health further, or try and take your mind off of it, and improve your health.

I really think its time for every country on the planet to self isolate, no border crossings. That really is the only way this'll stop spreading. If world leaders don't act now, immediately and let this run its course hundreds of millions are going to die.
Stop.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
True. Although if the same number of people in the world who get the flu every year also got coronavirus, around 100 million would die at current mortality rates
What are you suggesting the current mortality rate is?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Italy is a major source of scientific fraud in my research area. Dwarfed only by....China*. Who knew? :shrug:

*And America.
Could you be more specific about what that means? What are the likes of America doing wrong?

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
What are you suggesting the current mortality rate is?

Everyone is saying 1-2% aren't they? Although the Chinese say 77,000-ish cases and 2400 deaths, and the Italians 160 cases and 5 deaths, which in both cases is substantially higher than that but its been said that this figure can't yet be determined.

Anyway based on that I estimated half the world's population infected, as per 2019 flu epidemic, at 2.5% mortality, as a worst-case scenario to give a round figure of 100 million.

If you prefer to go for a fifth of the world's population infected, as in normal seasonal flu, at the lower-end 1% mortality, then we get around 15 million dead, which is still substantially more than the 650,000 who die every year from flu.

The point being to counter those who say this is 'no worse than flu'. But of course we don't yet know if this is as contagious as flu.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Anyway based on that I estimated half the world's population infected, as per 2019 flu epidemic, at 2.5% mortality, as a worst-case scenario to give a round figure of 100 million.

If you prefer to go for a fifth of the world's population infected, as in normal seasonal flu
It's not about what I prefer, I was just looking at what you wrote: "if the same number of people in the world who get the flu every year also got coronavirus, around 100 million would die at current mortality rates". Nowhere near as many as half the world's population get flu each year.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
It's not about what I prefer, I was just looking at what you wrote: "if the same number of people in the world who get the flu every year also got coronavirus, around 100 million would die at current mortality rates". Nowhere near as many as half the world's population get flu each year.

But they have done in bad years. But yes, usually nearer a fifth than a half, lets change the maths to 40 million from 100 million

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
But they have done in bad years. But yes, usually nearer a fifth than a half, lets change the maths to 40 million from 100 million

... and then remember that if this disease gets widespread in poor countries with bad health care etc death tolls will probably be a lot higher than in China or Italy, so lets change the math from 40 million to 100 million.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
... and then remember that if this disease gets widespread in poor countries with bad health care etc death tolls will probably be a lot higher than in China or Italy
I'm not sure the health care is that great in much of Hubei province.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here