Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Soylent Blue

Banned
Mar 13, 2019
Absolutely no expert on this but if 60+ people in Italy are infected, this realistically means its out of control surely? It must be impossible to track down every human that these 60+ interacted with?

And in that case it feels pretty likely its going to spread rapidly all over (at least) mainland Europe...

I never feared the swine flu, bird flu, the old SARS etc... but this shit feels like a pretty cataclysmic event. My biggest fear isnt getting the virus, but the impact it will have on the world.

132 now

From what ive been reading it has potential for Pandemic if its R0 is 2.5 or higher, atm its estimated to be between 3.7 and 6.7. Its also out of controll if the number is above 100 in more than 2 areas.

My opinion also is if one of the main 4 countries in Europe catch it big time the rest will(UK, Germany, France and Italy). There is no way to efectivly isolate the UK in a short time as we deliberatley lost control of our borders 20 years ago.

I would also worry alot about Iran, the number of deaths suggest it has been on the loose there for 6 weeks or so with Iranian carriers turning up in canada and Lenanon having no contact with any chinese or visitors returning from China.

The good news it skips the very young, it is more of a boomer plague(not saying thats good).

I would also say that barring a super spreader we have a few months to prepare so no need to panic.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Well I booked China a year ago due to go end of March, last week booked Venice for October. I think I may stop trying to find a holiday!

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Don't be too worried about the lack of Anti-bac sanitiser, I'm pretty sure ordinary soap and hot water does just as well. As for the WHO, they moved pretty fast when they had to. The Chinese were a bit reluctant to publicise anything as they were trying to keep a lid on things as usual, when the information came out things moved as quickly as can be expected.

North Korea keeping very quiet as well. The numbers in China are much higher than reported as well

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Absolutely no expert on this but if 60+ people in Italy are infected, this realistically means its out of control surely? It must be impossible to track down every human that these 60+ interacted with?

And in that case it feels pretty likely its going to spread rapidly all over (at least) mainland Europe...

I never feared the swine flu, bird flu, the old SARS etc... but this shit feels like a pretty cataclysmic event. My biggest fear isnt getting the virus, but the impact it will have on the world.

How many cases of this season’s flu?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
How many cases of this season’s flu?

**** do I know.

I guess you are trying to express the "well its no worse than the flu" opinion and that may or may not be the case, but regardless I'm not the one to convince if you want to decrease worry about this thing. I suggest you email (my go-to solution..) Xi Jinping and ask him or tell him not to lock down 10 million cities losing billions and billions on whatever-the-****-currency-they-have-in-China because of something that you believe is no worse than the flu.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
**** do I know.

I guess you are trying to express the "well its no worse than the flu" opinion and that may or may not be the case, but regardless I'm not the one to convince if you want to decrease worry about this thing. I suggest you email (my go-to solution..) Xi Jinping and ask him or tell him not to lock down 10 million cities losing billions and billions on whatever-the-****-currency-they-have-in-China because of something that you believe is no worse than the flu.

I’m not worried nor am I going to panic. We’ve had over 300 people in this country who had had contact with the virus, and very few have developed it, with none dying.
I’m not playing down what is happening in the world but neither am I going to keep searching for figures every day of various countries around the world so I can frighten myself to death.
As I posted earlier in this thread, I survived a smallpox outbreak in Brighton in 1952, and the Asian flu epidemic in 67/68 winter.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I’m not worried nor am I going to panic. We’ve had over 300 people in this country who had had contact with the virus, and very few have developed it, with none dying.
I’m not playing down what is happening in the world but neither am I going to keep searching for figures every day of various countries around the world so I can frighten myself to death.
As I posted earlier in this thread, I survived a smallpox outbreak in Brighton in 1952, and the Asian flu epidemic in 67/68 winter.

I'm not panicking either. I'm not even that worried about what would happen if I caught this virus.

Something I do worry about is the well overdue economic depression only restrained by Chinese investment. Problems from last time around was never really solved, it was merely subdued with Chinese money. If this economical locomotive break because of this disease, who knows what will happen? This" indirect," but also the direct, economical impact is why I consider it a potential cataclysmic event - not the virus in itself.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

Attachments

• ani1580470025.jpg
    ani1580470025.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Last edited:

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
150 in Italy now. I really think its time for every country on the planet to self isolate, no border crossings. That really is the only way this'll stop spreading. If world leaders don't act now, immediately and let this run its course hundreds of millions are going to die. The economy will take a short term hit, so be it. It will, be no where near as big a hit it'll take if this runs it's course.

Also, where the f is our PM? He's been very quiet on this subject!

I really suggest you try your hardest to try and avoid this topic for a few days. It seems to have totally consumed you. You will do some long term damage to your mental health if you continue to work yourself into a panic every single day about something completely and utterly out of your control.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Interesting now this diamond princess has so many people that have been repatriated and fallen ill in the uk, USA and Australia.

And these were ones that were in quarantine and watched...BUT. What about all the people who got off the ship and went straight into CABs and busses..and then planes? No extra quarantine for them! The chances of none of them having the virus is zero!

Also what the hell is happening in Italy?

If this goes on, you can see airports and ports being closed!

Coronavirus: Austria stops all trains to and from Italy amid Europe's biggest coronavirus outbreak....jeez

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
150 in Italy now. I really think its time for every country on the planet to self isolate, no border crossings. That really is the only way this'll stop spreading. If world leaders don't act now, immediately and let this run its course hundreds of millions are going to die. The economy will take a short term hit, so be it. It will, be no where near as big a hit it'll take if this runs it's course.

Also, where the f is our PM? He's been very quiet on this subject!

end of world.jpg

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

Interesting thing with swine flu is that it killed about 12000 people in the UK alone, and yet we never closed borders or quarantined towns or even really worried about it too much. I guess because we couldn't distinguish it from normal flu.

But as soon as we have 1 death from coronavirus in UK we will all start panicking.

Not that panicking might be inappropriate in this case.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Also what the hell is happening in Italy?

Same old.

Don't forget, this is a country where, within the last 15 years, a political leader declared 'there are no gay people in our country'.

Italy is a major source of scientific fraud in my research area. Dwarfed only by....China*. Who knew? :shrug:

*And America.

This has all the hallmarks of a weapons grade virus - ten times as lethal as flu, but spreads less easily. But nowhere near less easily to be containable, especially given that it incubates (no symptoms during the first few days after you are infected).

If I were tasked with designing a major disruptive weapon, this would be it. Stage two would be designing a more easily transmissable version, and of course a vaccine (for 'local' use).

That's just a guess of course. This could easily be just a coincidental mutation of something mundane, such as measels, mumps and rubella (hi there, Andy Wakefield) or yoghurt. Before you all shit yourselves, I made that last bit up (yoghurt is not a virus). Wakefield is a ****, though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here