Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Well, like a lockdown but slightly less restricted - like the "half way house" thing you mentioned.

I also hope it will work but its going to be impossible to tell before the whole pandemic is over. I also believe that it is going to cost a lot of lives now (could see us being very high in deaths per capita when we reach the expected drop in May/June) but save us a lot of lives in the very likely second wave of the pandemic and in the possible third.

I'm not sure anything 'works' better than anything else, isn't it just a case of quicker vs slower?

When 'the whole pandemic is over' has to be when a vaccine is widely available I'd have thought ... can't see how it's over before then, but more than happy to be corrected

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
40 minutes on hold now - this is really going well.

I did happen to notice some quite large queues outside a couple of banks earlier and ATM's on the way home. Obviously the social distancing makes the queues appear longer, but it did make me wonder.

Anyone else noticed this today?

Dr Bandler

Dec 17, 2005
Peterborough
I'm not sure anything 'works' better than anything else, isn't it just a case of quicker vs slower?

When 'the whole pandemic is over' has to be when a vaccine is widely available I'd have thought ... can't see how it's over before then, but more than happy to be corrected

I think you are right. I have seen medical experts say that we will have rolling waves of shutdowns until a vaccine is issued and administered to around 60% of the population (I assume those without immunity). That is the only exit. The shutdowns are to prevent the health systems becoming overloaded. Until the vaccine the pandemic will not "be over."

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I think you are right. I have seen medical experts say that we will have rolling waves of shutdowns until a vaccine is issued and administered to around 60% of the population (I assume those without immunity). That is the only exit. The shutdowns are to prevent the health systems becoming overloaded. Until the vaccine the pandemic will not "be over."

thats the long term, for the short term the focus is getting healthcare ramped up. then we can ease restrictions go back to some normality and let infection spread. keep start stop on lockdown is not practical.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
thats the long term, for the short term the focus is getting healthcare ramped up. then we can ease restrictions go back to some normality and let infection spread. keep start stop on lockdown is not practical.

Whilst I agree stop/start lockdown is impractical it does regulate the problem. I'm not sure that our healthcare system can be ramped up sufficiently to deal with anything else. It may not be numerous times but over the summer I was expecting another 2/3, not based on anything other than my own supposition

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Despite being a key worker, I get the distinct impression I won't be WFH on my second hand laptop with the wrong charger, that doesn't work and that should only be set up in the office anytime soon.

It's a bit like some of the kids at work who were also issued with laptops today when I went in, who don't actually have the internet at home, as they just go online on their phones.

We're listed on the LSE and regulated by The FCA though, so I'm sure it'll all be rather lovely.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
There's a video circulating with 2 housing officers in full protective gear, putting letters through everyones door in a block of flats, saying a man had died from Corona virus. People saw the man leave in a police car half an hour before, very suspicious.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
UK figures in total delayed

5071CD1F-D08A-4F7C-970B-2E4519DD6114.png

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Figures to now include deaths in the community as well as in hospital.

How will this affect the overall death toll I wonder?

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
It's a bit like some of the kids at work who were also issued with laptops today when I went in, who don't actually have the internet at home, as they just go online on their phones.

They can tether their laptops to their phone to use the phones Internet. Hopefully they have plenty of data on their phone plan though.

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

No I don't think that's true. Having had 60% (or whatever) of the population infected by the virus will have the same effect and is likely to happen long before a vaccine becomes available.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
No I don't think that's true. Having had 60% (or whatever) of the population infected by the virus will have the same effect and is likely to happen long before a vaccine becomes available.

We might even be nearly there now. I’ve a feeling this virus was at large sooner than first believed. Any deaths could well have been put down to flu and pneumonia.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
They can tether their laptops to their phone to use the phones Internet. Hopefully they have plenty of data on their phone plan though.

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk

They'll need unlimited data if they do that, won't they? Unfortunately it doesn't stipulate in their work contracts what plans they needed from which mobile providers, or the need for WiFi at home. It's all going to be very hit and miss.

If I ever get set up, I'll be fine WFH in terms of fixed WiFi signal and working environment, but those in flats without desks and intermittent mobile signals and crying babies in the background won't.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
180 deaths reported uk. Metro doing their best to put a different slant on the figures so.ehow claiming its 3 days in a row of figures going upwards

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
The UK doesn't seem to following the rate of increase as Italy and Spain, a good sign, but RIP to those significant number of people.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
We might even be nearly there now. I’ve a feeling this virus was at large sooner than first believed. Any deaths could well have been put down to flu and pneumonia.

I agree with this, there was a wave of sickness at the turn of the year which have symptoms much like corona.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Italy on the 16th were on 2158 deaths, as of yesterday they are on 10779 deaths.
Spain on the 16th were on 342 deaths, they are now on 7500 deaths. What a shockingly horrible fast rise they’ve had.

UK looks to be on a better trajectory, still horrible but we are now nearly 800 deaths behind where Italy were, after initially being equal at one point, let’s be positive and hope we are doing something right. RIP to all those lost.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here