Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I’m going to predict the address to the nation.

1. Further lockdown measures announced due to the behaviour of ‘some people’. Not the government’s fault.

2. The government are being led by ‘the science’ (he’ll say this repeatedly like he said ‘let’s get Brexit done’). Not the government’s fault if the advice is wrong and thousands die.

3. The government can’t stop Covid-19 (so don’t blame them) only the nation working together can.

so in are you saying we shouldnt lockdown? ???

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The new dictate tonight is “only when absolutely necessary”.
My work say I'm a key worker ( lol ) and haven't said it isn't necessary.

I hope they finally catch up from the back of the class tomorrow.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
So what are these key worker travel passes and who issues them - employers?

My wife is a care worker in a home for adults who are severely autistic and physically disabled. She knows nothing about this.

I think this is to prove that you need to be out as you are a key worker should you be stopped by the police.
I remember being issued with a pass to be able to get petrol in my car when there was the fuel shortage, again this was issued by the NHS.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
What about general workers who can't work from home in other words millions of us?

I do not feel this was clear. BBC News seem to think BJ meant essential / key workers only- ie the people who can still send their children to school.

I didn’t get that- it seems like all workplaces other than those specifically closed (eg pubs) can continue to operate if the workers cannot work from home.

If so that means packed trains and tubes continue?

Marty___Mcfly

Sep 14, 2011
Takeaways still open as well? Guess so if they have told all the pubs to convert to takeaway.

Kebab shops live to fight another day..

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
You can only go outside for exercise one time a day? I doubt very much there would be any way they could enforce this. If someone gets stopped they will say ' its my first bit exercise today' even if it wasn't.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I’ve never supported measures in France, Italy and Spain. The Countries I’ve advocated copying the methods of are SE Asian ones (Japan, South Korea, Singapore, Hong Kong & Taiwan), Germany, Rep Of Ireland & New Zealand. I’ve done this based on reading about their methods and monitoring their infection rates and deaths.

Measures have not been working and the government has finally introduced the sort of draconian measures that were needed.

Not even a tad of Tory hating, brought to COVID-19 threads?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
You can only go outside for exercise one time a day? I doubt very much there would be any way they could enforce this. If someone gets stopped they will say ' its my first bit exercise today' even if it wasn't.

Unless you get unlucky and a young WPC remembered your physique from an earlier drive past.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Travel to work is permitted (at present)

Not clear from the briefing but this has since been posted which suggests travel to work is permitted for key workers only

cdcecf4cbcb448dbe5a29c7dc9179cd6.jpg

https://twitter.com/10downingstreet/status/1242193317510684678?s=21

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
I do not feel this was clear. BBC News seem to think BJ meant essential / key workers only- ie the people who can still send their children to school.

I didn’t get that- it seems like all workplaces other than those specifically closed (eg pubs) can continue to operate if the workers cannot work from home.

Gov.uk website is now stark:

Stay at Home
Only go outside for food, health reasons and essential work

I think the sentiment here is clear. It’s a national emergency. Only travel to work if the work is absolutely necessary.

However, there must be some ambiguity if people don’t ‘clearly’ don’t get it!

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Will I get pulled over if I'm seen out in the van? I thought plumbers were key workers

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

its a serious question, missue manages maintanence across the country and not a scooby whether they'll be able to carry on. and given they're self employed and nothing announced for them, they will go to anything already booked.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
You can only go outside for exercise one time a day? I doubt very much there would be any way they could enforce this.

its not really enforceable, its telling people not to go the park for the afternoon.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
its a serious question, missue manages maintanence across the country and not a scooby whether they'll be able to carry on. and given they're self employed and nothing announced for them, they will go to anything already booked.

Of course you carry on, trade suppliers haven’t been told to shut and the self employed have still got to work.

Marty___Mcfly

Sep 14, 2011
If it’s only key workers allowed to go to work- that has shut down a huge number of businesses. Anyone else, who cannot work from home, now cannot work?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Key workers remains this list. Each press conference would last for inordinate amount of time, and be a literal turn off, if they had to repeat all key information from all previous press conferences.

Key workers - shirley the employer determines whether they are or not, the employee doesn’t need to fret with the dichotomy of is or isn’t?

EA5BD5A5-8437-41C0-B644-6FBAA0D85F44.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here