Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
From what I understand its not as easy as just getting enough test kits.

For every test, a healthcare worker needs to dress up in complete safety equipment, take the test, remove all the equipment, put on new safety equipment, test the next one... takes time and staff resources and a lot of these masks and gloves and stuff are basically for one time use, then you need to throw it.
I had a test last Thursday. The guy doing the test was in full hazmat suit. He did not change it for each person. Would be a bit mad if they did, as in time, cost and supply.

On a separate note, my mum lives in Spain. They are now only allowed to go shopping twice a week (which seems fair enough and ample) but only 1 person is allowed in the car. Keeps the queues down at the shops I suppose.

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Just watched a programme out here called 60 minutes on CBS. They were discussing a possible treatment called Remdesiver. It has still to be trialed and given FDA approval but patients who have a bad case of Covid 19 have agreed to be test subjects. It seems to be showing some promise when tested against a placebo. The FDA have agreed to relax as many regulatory hurdles as they safely can so it can be fast tracked. Hopefully things are moving in the right direction.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The site linked will generally update each country a few times throughout the day. At one point (possibly around lunchtime), the UK was listed as 11 deaths for the day.

But the final figure for the 24 hour period was 48 and that is what will be shown. The first update is just an interim figure.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I had a test last Thursday. The guy doing the test was in full hazmat suit. He did not change it for each person. Would be a bit mad if they did, as in time, cost and supply.

Shouldnt that mean that if you are infected, the next guy getting tested could get it through the suit?

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
View attachment 121353

Lowest percentage increase in Italy so far! Even if its still a lot of people, I really really really hope Italy are getting getting some results from the lockdown now. It would give people a lot of hope when we go into lockdown.

Let's pray that this isn't just an anomaly and that it's the start of some downward trend, however gradual. Got to have something to hang on to

I'm sure our Gov't are all over these numbers and if they do indeed begin to improve, then they swiftly put us into lockdown so that we might follow the same curve

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Can I just ask all those above, can’t be bothered to learn how to multi quote, what the **** does it matter what time the latest figures are released?

These are people’s lives, people who will be leaving behind devastated loved ones!

If it bothers you all so much, I will be sure to pm you all, before 9am, if my wife becomes another statistic for you to puzzle over!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Just watched a programme out here called 60 minutes on CBS. They were discussing a possible treatment called Remdesiver. It has still to be trialed and given FDA approval but patients who have a bad case of Covid 19 have agreed to be test subjects. It seems to be showing some promise when tested against a placebo. The FDA have agreed to relax as many regulatory hurdles as they safely can so it can be fast tracked. Hopefully things are moving in the right direction.

Into the Coronavirus Positive News thread please? :thumbsup:

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Can I just ask all those above, can’t be bothered to learn how to multi quote, what the **** does it matter what time the latest figures are released?

These are people’s lives, people who will be leaving behind devastated loved ones!

If it bothers you all so much, I will be sure to pm you all, before 9am, if my wife becomes another statistic for you to puzzle over!

Stressful times for you.

I hope you wife is managing to keep calm amongst all of this.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
This is worth a quick read.

https://www.hsj.co.uk/news/coronavi...=t.co&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=newsfeed

The footnote at the end showing 5 deaths in Cornwall, seems to suggest a link to second homers. How you stop people from heading to their second homes, or taking on holiday lets is going to be challenging. If you are in an known infected area, the natural thing to want to do, is get away. This is not helpful from a containment perspective.

Bearing in mind that the first recorded UK case was in Brighton, the contrast with Portsmouth, where there have been 7 deaths is hard to explain.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed

Apologies. I’m just trying to track figures to try and work out where we are on the ‘curve’ in comparison to other countries.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013

I'm well aware they are loved ones and it doesn't bother me at all what time they come out but many thanks for your concern.

I like others am just interested and concerned by the figures and it gives me something to focus on. I'm terrified by the way this is going and the inevitable loss of at least one loved one so I apologise for being interested

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
my dads gone , my mums in care 94 yrs old ....not allowed any visitors , to be honest i haven't got my head around whats going on yet......truly unprecedented measures taken globally but the chinese are just coming out of their shells after nearly 3 months state enforced lockdown ....a truly worrying time in all honesty....number one will this bug piss off when the weather warms up in europe ....no 2 is it actually any worse than the normal flu season no3 what are the authorities actually up to..??

my wife is a nurse btw as is my eldest daughter .........worrying times.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
my dads gone , my mums in care 94 yrs old ....not allowed any visitors , to be honest i haven't got my head around whats going on yet......truly unprecedented measures taken globally but the chinese are just coming out of their shells after nearly 3 months state enforced lockdown ....a truly worrying time in all honesty....number one will this bug piss off when the weather warms up in europe ....no 2 is it actually any worse than the normal flu season no3 what are the authorities actually up to..??

My dad passed away due to COPD 4 years ago. My mum is 85 with chest problems herself. I just feel so helpless because I cant do a thing to help her properly and terrified that i wont get to spend time with her again

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

Good post but Number 2. Come on.

D

Deleted member 22389

Dropped my wife off at school, worried. However that is nothing compared to all those who have to work in the NHS. Hope i'm not lecturing, but as everyone else has said just be sensible and stay in. If you need some fresh air go in the back garden. If you really need a walk stay local and avoid people.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Piers Morgan currently being very aggressive with the Health Secretary

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here