Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
So now as parents are forced to work kids will be looked after by grandparents what a sensible move .......

Yeah, sod the teachers and teaching staff! It's not ideal but schools have been at breaking point this week, especially by now. It simply had to happen

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
These retired health workers that Boris is asking to come back and help the NHS - would they be over 70s?

many who retire early. also cover, older workers can work in low risk areas freeing up staff for acute critical and intenstive care.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
So now as parents are forced to work kids will be looked after by grandparents what a sensible move .......
Bit premature with that moan, eh? Specifically mentioned later as a no-no, if you'd kept listening. Never been a fan of Boris (or the Tories) but to be fair he's putting up a pretty good show so far. Very impressed with the young Chancellor of the Exchequer too - what a maelstrom to suddenly land in days after taking on the job.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Accepted.

I didn't take the original comment to be about Asia in general and certainly not Singapore where the statement was made. But I suspect there are other areas within Asia (and elsewhere) that are similarly uncontrolled and I very much hope that once the dust settles a lot of that will be cleaned up.

Nor was I intending to act 'Trumplike' he is a world leader and some of his rhetoric I find entirely distasteful and as well as totally made up (fake in his own words). But I'm not a world leader, just a bloke that is at risk and who has had his life and the life of his family turned on its head.

That said we are going to see tens of thousands of deaths, the world is in economic meltdown and millions of our own people are going to suffer the ramifications for many years.

I don't disagree there needs to be plans for pandemics (I assumed it to be an obvious tongue in cheek statement) Absolutely it could have been better controlled with a plan but (in this case) the plan would not have been needed if the controls all of us take for granted had been in place

I'm just a bit angry, a bit frightened and a bit confused about what to do and not sure that's going to improve any time soon

Yep, these are some pretty trying times that could and should have been avoided. There's no doubt China needs to tighten up on a number of things, not least these markets, considering their position in the world.

What it's highlighted to me is the arrogance, complacency and incompetence of our governments. I'm sure there's plenty of that in Asian governments too but they at least seem to have a clue how to act decisively in this situation.

Apologies if I missed the humour. It's the early hours of the morning here and I'm being kept awake through the fog of a cold. My wits aren't at their sharpest.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I chaired our staff student liaison committee today (via an internet conferencing platform). I was shocked at how frightened some of our students are. Based in central London, some are self-isolating and even those who aren't are in many cases isolated, with little provisions on the shelves in local shops, and not helped by a constrant stream of updates from the uni, and from individual course organisers. It was quite upsetting (especially when I found I had no solutions to offer, no insight into when it will all end, no idea what will happen to their careers or, in some cases, their rights to stay in the UK and finish their year), and it made me realise how badly some will take the sort of silly-arse facetious comments people, including myself, might have made recently. :down:

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Bit premature with that moan, eh? Specifically mentioned later as a no-no, if you'd kept listening. Never been a fan of Boris (or the Tories) but to be fair he's putting up a pretty good show so far. Very impressed with the young Chancellor of the Exchequer too - what a maelstrom to suddenly land in days after taking on the job.

Not really we now have at least one parent who has children now not working when surely the more sensible thing would be to start testing frontline essential workforce like nurses and teachers to minimise disruption.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Yep, these are some pretty trying times that could and should have been avoided. There's no doubt China needs to tighten up on a number of things, not least these markets, considering their position in the world.

What it's highlighted to me is the arrogance, complacency and incompetence of our governments. I'm sure there's plenty of that in Asian governments too but they at least seem to have a clue how to act decisively in this situation.

Apologies if I missed the humour. It's the early hours of the morning here and I'm being kept awake through the fog of a cold. My wits aren't at their sharpest.

Absolutely agree that .... pretty well any semi sensible person was sat on the outside trying to figure out why Lombardy wasn't shut down at least 3 weeks before it was

You didn't miss any humour, I wish you did :thumbsup:

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
So still nothing for renters and self employed

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 22389

My wife will probably go on a rota at her school. Important someone is there for the keyworkers. I still don't think this will be enough to slow this virus.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Blimey, I've just seen the new figures from Italy. Another 475 deaths yesterday. They'll probably pass the number of Deaths in China today.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here