Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
In 2014/2015 there were over 28,000 flu deaths in the UK.

So I think a death toll of 20,000 or lower for a new flu-like virus with no vaccine would be an achievement, yes.

The annual flu jab is anywhere between 40-60% effective and so a death toll under 40,000 would be an achievement.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 22389

Sweden today announced schools will be closed, leaving you guys the last country in Europe to keep them open.

It should be said that EVERY DAY during this crisis, Sweden & UK have taken (roughly) the same measures, announced the same things etc. Sometimes UK have had their press conference first, other times Sweden, but info and measures have been the same. I think you could expect the school closure to be announced today.

edit: Only closing it for universities/"older kids" atm

Wish they would close schools for a few weeks, but they won't. My 5 year old is slightly asthmatic, my wife is a teacher and is also asthmatic. Everyday my daughter and wife go to school is a gamble. I know I'm not the only one in this position and I completely understand the situation is even worse for those who work in the NHS. Let's hope and prey this virus buggers off. We know it won't go completely, but just to the point people can get back on with their life and the NHS doesn't have this threat over their heads.

Last edited by a moderator:

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
I'm a little confused by this post. Can you clarify?

Your partner's brother, or your partner's sister in law's brother?

He lives with them and they have been tested and confirmed positive?

He lives with them and they have symptoms?

He doesn't live with them?

Which bus company?

My partner's sister in law and niece have it apparently, not sure whether tested or just showing symptoms, imagine the latter. Her brother does live with them yes. They live in Liverpool so Liverpool buses

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Wish they would close schools for a few weeks, but they won't. My 5 year old is slightly asthmatic, my wife is a teacher and is also asthmatic. Everyday my daughter and wife go to school is a gamble. I know I'm not the only one in this position and I completely understand the situation is even worse for those who work in the NHS. Let's hope and prey this virus buggers off. We know it won't go completely, but just to the point people can get back on with their life and the NHS doesn't have this threat over their heads.

I'm pretty sure schools wont last until Easter now. Some schools I know are really at stretching point already re staff, which is obviously only going to get worse by the day the longer they stay open. The pressure to close schools will surely become too much even by the end of this week I think

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Didn't think I'd ever see this advice in my lifetime.....

The Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCO) now advises British people against all non-essential travel worldwide. This advice takes effect immediately and applies initially for a period of 30 days.

With this surely insurance companies have no excuses now

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
they might have an idea of something, being acedemics they want to do some research, run some models write and check a report before publishing. that takes time even if they come to the same conclusion as the commentariat.
Yes, possibly, but if that were the case I'd expect the 'idea' to be one of many options that get dismissed after running the numbers, without ever being aired to the public.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
My son is just home from Varndean College where at least one of his tutors is off with Coronavirus having been in college last week. Still no closure. He's 17 and admirably commited to turning up to his classes but I'm surprised the decision to keep kids and staff away has not been made at a Government level yet. Everything seems to be left for the public to determine.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I would have thought the more at risk you are the more you would use your own initiative for self preservation and isolate yourself, do you really need to be told!
I don't. As I stated here, we cancelled plans to go to the Arsenal game over a week before the game was due. But many others will have carried on mingling, spreading the virus further, and increasing the chance that the rest of us will catch it. It's not possible for our entire family to completely self-isolate for the next year. We (as well as the rest of you) will come into contact with people, so the fewer of them that have the virus, the better for all of us.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Blatchington mill school closed from tomorrow, my main school I work at, rely on the kids breaking things!

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
I don't. As I stated here, we cancelled plans to go to the Arsenal game over a week before the game was due. But many others will have carried on mingling, spreading the virus further, and increasing the chance that the rest of us will catch it. It's not possible for our entire family to completely self-isolate for the next year. We (as well as the rest of you) will come into contact with people, so the fewer of them that have the virus, the better for all of us.

Sorry, didn't mean you should have said, one :smile:

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
My son is just home from Varndean College where at least one of his tutors is off with Coronavirus having been in college last week. Still no closure. He's 17 and admirably commited to turning up to his classes but I'm surprised the decision to keep kids and staff away has not been made at a Government level yet. Everything seems to be left for the public to determine.

It's almost as if the government doesn't give a shit about people and is gambling on herd immunity

Still, at least they're not into eugenics

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I've been out all day, so don't know whether this has been raised, but I haven't heard it on the news. This has been sent to me by someone I know and trust.

We have just been sent a medical alert that no one is to use ant-inflammatories (eg Ibuprofen, Voltarol, Naproxen and others) for pain or high temperature. Use Paracetamol instead. There seems to be a link between severe cases of covid19 affecting young people with no underlying illnesses and taking anti-inflammatories. Initial reports started coming from French Doctors on Friday.

This has been confirmed by infectious disease consultants here. There are 4 young people in ICU in Cork with no underlying illnesses. All were taking anti-inflammatories and there are concerns this has caused a more severe illness. French TV and radio are broadcasting the same warning today.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I've been out all day, so don't know whether this has been raised, but I haven't heard it on the news. This has been sent to me by someone I know and trust.

We have just been sent a medical alert that no one is to use ant-inflammatories (eg Ibuprofen, Voltarol, Naproxen and others) for pain or high temperature. Use Paracetamol instead. There seems to be a link between severe cases of covid19 affecting young people with no underlying illnesses and taking anti-inflammatories. Initial reports started coming from French Doctors on Friday.

This has been confirmed by infectious disease consultants here. There are 4 young people in ICU in Cork with no underlying illnesses. All were taking anti-inflammatories and there are concerns this has caused a more severe illness. French TV and radio are broadcasting the same warning today.

My other half has asthma and cannot take ibuprofen or NSAIDS as it affects his lungs.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
And mabybe this isn't about Tory selfishness* but more that a destroyed economy will cost more lives in the bigger picture? Obviously I'm not ready to sacrifice my nearest and dearest for this greater good but maybe there is compassionate logic to this argument? Those who bang on about "they're only trying to save the economy not lives" don't seem to take this into account, it seems.

*I am not a Tory

Maybe. :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here