Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
First post is about the exponential growth curve every scientist, expert and statesman has been talking about and pointing to and what it means numbers wise if they are correct.

The second post is about the UK:s & Sweden's goal of "flattening the curve" to avoid the scenario in the first post and my personal wishes for this to be succesfull.

Whats the problem?

I'll not be discussing further with exponential growth curve every scientist, expert and statesman has been talking about

So as you were.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Just been informed that people should avoid taking anti inflammatory medicines (ibrufen etc) as they make the condition much worse especially in the young. He caveated this by saying that anyone who is prescribed such medicines should contact there gp or medical advisor.
Source is impeccable and because of his position I trust him completely.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I'll not be discussing further with exponential growth curve every scientist, expert and statesman has been talking about

So as you were.

I've noticed.
1280px-Three_wise_monkeys_figure.jpg

Just been informed that people should avoid taking anti inflammatory medicines (ibrufen etc) as they make the condition much worse especially in the young. He caveated this by saying that anyone who is prescribed such medicines should contact there gp or medical advisor.
Source is impeccable and because of his position I trust him completely.

French government has also warned about it.

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
This morning I had two texts, one from Hove Medical Centre requesting that I don’t visit the surgery etc. the other text reminding me of my dental checkup appointment at Portslade Village dental surgery. I would have thought a routine dental checkup isn’t that important in the grand scale of things. If I had toothache maybe, but I’m not sure I want to sit in a waiting room with others (they are always running late) and then have the dentist poking around in my mouth.

Every time you go out now it's a gamble and as the days pass then the risk increases. I went to the dentist last week as I believed it to be very low risk. I made the decision today would be the last time I have a coffee out with the other half as the odds were still in our favour. Turned out the woman working there had a persistent dry cough that she has never had before. Sake.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
First post is about the exponential growth curve every scientist, expert and statesman has been talking about and pointing to and what it means numbers wise if they are correct.

The second post is about the UK:s & Sweden's goal of "flattening the curve" to avoid the scenario in the first post and my personal wishes for this to be succesfull.

Whats the problem?

Exponential growth assumes that no action takes place. It shows what happens on an open loop system. By taking action we have a closed loop system, even if the action taken isn’t that effective, it’s still closed loop.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
This morning I had two texts, one from Hove Medical Centre requesting that I don’t visit the surgery etc. the other text reminding me of my dental checkup appointment at Portslade Village dental surgery. I would have thought a routine dental checkup isn’t that important in the grand scale of things. If I had toothache maybe, but I’m not sure I want to sit in a waiting room with others (they are always running late) and then have the dentist poking around in my mouth.

I'm still due to have mouth surgery this week, which hasn't been cancelled by the Sussex County (yet).

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've noticed.
Got to be better than making shit up and passing it off as fact.

For all we know your statement of 10,000 people being hospitalised because of the virus, every day, in 3 weeks time, might be spot on.
It might also be far far too low.
It might also be far far too high.

Nobody knows.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I'm still due to have mouth surgery this week, which hasn't been cancelled by the Sussex County (yet).

MUST ....... FIGHT .... URGE ..... TO......MAKE.......70s...... MOTHER-IN-LAW.......JOKE.......ABOUT........WIRING.... IT......

/Sorry TB :smile:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Exponential growth assumes that no action takes place. It shows what happens on an open loop system. By taking action we have a closed loop system, even if the action taken isn’t that effective, it’s still closed loop.

Exactly. And thats why I want action.

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
What about this thread brings out the worst in people?

Fair comment is met with this type of response.

Is it a fair comment though? I asked him for a source to a previous statement s/he made, I am still waiting for a reply. (This comment might indeed be correct, I am not necessarily disputing that)

Honestly there are a few people on this board who seem to be experts in everything and very rarely ask questions or admit a lack of knowledge. On topics as important as this, I think thats dangerous.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Another stupid question, asking for the wife :rolleyes: Can it be caught off the daily post?

According to the doctor on the Jeremy Vine show today the virus can live for up to 24 hours on card or paper. Advice was to open the envelope/parcel and bin the wrapping. Then wash hands very well and use gel. Alternatively don’t touch the post for 24 hours. Getting scarier by the day

Last edited:

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Same as the Brexit thread. People thinking that the more aggressive they get, the more they'll bring people round to their own personal worldview. Never gonna happen :shrug:

I love our very own experts on experts... I take great comfort from being told I'm going to die by someone who has zero authority, yet a massive sense of their own ability to translate all of the complexities for thick people like me.

God bless all of them.

D

Deleted member 22389

If your worried and the treatment can wait, phone up the hospital and cancel. I did this for my mum today. They where actually grateful and completely understood the reasons. In a couple of months we might have a much better picture of what is going on.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I love our very own experts on experts... I take great comfort from being told I'm going to die by someone who has zero authority, yet a massive sense of their own ability to translate all of the complexities for thick people like me.

God bless all of them.

As said yesterday:-

NSC the one stop home for experts in:-

The Political Constitution.
Global pandemic viral contagions.
&
Ventilation systems manufacture and production.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here