Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
In all of this shitstorm, there are a few posts that cut through the gathering gloom and genuinely make me laugh - which let's face it, is a precious commodity at the moment.

The above is one of these moments.

We need a lot more of this. Good work on this one Clamp. Common sense and humour. We want to be able to look back on this in a few weeks and be able to look ourselves in the eye.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Tight shorts

Dec 29, 2004
Sussex
Trying to do an online order to Sainsbury's for my elderly parents, I thought there may be a week wait, but there are NO available time slots for 3 weeks. So I decided to call to see if they had stopped this service altogether or arse holes were just stockpiling. They had me on hold for 10 mins listening to shite adverts and then ended the call, angry, just a tad.

:angry::angry::angry::flounce:

I have cancelled my next two online shops booked with Tesco after hubby quite rightly pointed out I was being selfish as I am neither old nor vulnerable so supermarket shopping for me now to free up for those in greater need.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
In the next 3 weeks the UK will have atleast 2000 deaths. If we act now we can contain this and keep those numbers to a minimum.

We must close borders to prevent further spread. We must enforce strict curfews and close all non-essential businesses. Other countries are doing this, why are we still in denial about the seriousness of this?

If we do all of this now, today, we will get over this. If we act in 3 weeks time we will not see the deaths from those infected then for a further 3 weeks, that will be tens of thousands, and that just keeps going up.

Act now, today - before this does anymore damage. Put our people before profit. Protect us.

A lot of people calling you mad just proves they have zero clue what we're in for.

You can smack all the numbers and all the facts in peoples heads over and over and they still dont get it.

I understand its very difficult for people to grasp psychologically that in any realistic scenario deaths, just in the UK, will count to several hundred thousands of people and in many likely scenarios multiple millions.

I get its difficult to grasp, and many have their defense mechanisms of denial working full time right now and the remaining countries not to take sharp measures - UK, Sweden and Finland - needs to do it ASAP. Each day of slack restrictions means hundreds of dead at this point.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
It has nothing to do with panic or anxiety, it's an ability to see what is happening, the direction of travel, versus real world realities, like type of country and infrastructure and project that forward.

It's why many of us could clearly see we'd be at this point when only 200 were infected and a couple had died whilst others were calling it all a big fuss about nothing.

It's the same again, looking at European neighbours, our types of liberal society, our health service, available ICU beds and lack of respirators. A viral tsunami is coming, many won't drown but enough will, and with our current strategy our maxed out health service will become overwhelmed, care and equipment will be on a selective basis and people will die at home. Unless a cure or vaccine is found before then.

These are all impending realities not yet realised. What you saw around us 1 month ago is vastly removed from what is going on today, it's going to get a helluva lot worse, we've not even really started yet.

How worse?
A friend texted me to say that he had read that over a million people in the UK could die from this virus. On a sliding scale from 0 - 100, starting at Base Camp Zero. i.e calmness personified to Mountain Top of extreme panic, where does this sort of projection fit in?

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Again in terms of things being put into context - driving to work this morning I came across a huge RTA on the A1 just south of Alnwick, let's just say it wasn't good but loads of people had stopped to help, which was incredible to see. I highly suspect all the people involved were seriously injured if not worse... Yet we all happily jump in our cars everyday without giving much thought to the very real possibility of being badly injured and/or killed in an accident. I could have been involved if I'd set off just a few moments earlier... I'd say right now that possibility is far more likely for me, than I'd care to imagine. This happened to my mum when I was 15, she was very nearly killed and only saved by four heroic off duty police men who saved her life. She has since lived with physical disability as a direct consequence - hence she refuses to panic in the face of this 'plague.' I admire her stoicism much more than she could ever know - a few individuals on here would do well to follow that example, they really would.

This virus is awful, obviously, but spare a thought for all of those dying everyday in this country alone from accident and/or injury.

This thread is so chock full of hysteria, I weep for humanity (as we are today) if something even more deadly rears its head. To put it simply, based on this, I think we'd be utterly ****ed and society would fall apart all too quickly. Sigh.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
We have not always seen eye to eye over the years but I must say The Clamp is doing a great job on this and is becoming a leader amongst NSC

DFL JCL

Jan 8, 2016
What I don't understand is why people are saying we are 2 weeks behind Italy etc. Doesn't our numbers just indicate that as a country we responded to the initial impact better and minimized it?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
A lot of people calling you mad just proves they have zero clue what we're in for.

You can smack all the numbers and all the facts in peoples heads over and over and they still dont get it.

I understand its very difficult for people to grasp psychologically that in any realistic scenario deaths, just in the UK, will count to several hundred thousands of people and in many likely scenarios multiple millions.

I get its difficult to grasp, and many have their defense mechanisms of denial working full time right now and the remaining countries not to take sharp measures - UK, Sweden and Finland - needs to do it ASAP. Each day of slack restrictions means hundreds of dead at this point.

It's not denial. I'm worried about the potential impact. On the whole people are replying to solid at the back due to concern over his mental wellbeing as he only pops on to post the latest statistics or fears relating to mismanagement of this situation.

And this from someone who's been isolating as a precaution having caught it or similar from school

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Last edited:

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Trust you not to agree with sensible advice. Aside from you comprehensively misunderstanding my post and suggestion that multiple, contradictory news sources laden with apocalyptic rhetoric can raise anxiety, the bloke was seeking some practical reassurance because he is scared.

This is exactly why your sort of response is so crap in a crisis.
Someone says they’re scared can you please offer me some reassurance? Your reply? “This is going to get a lot worse”.

You may be right but it’s helpful to temper your response to suit the situation.

Most people will be much more productive and useful if you go through some practical steps to help them rather than sit there saying we’re all doomed.

You do love answering assumptions you yourself write! Its staying calm in the face of evolving threats and challenges, and taking those very practical steps you mention that keeps myself, 5 colleagues and up to 189 others , whose lives I am legally responsible for out of harm's way.

I didn't make any reference to not agreeing with sensible advice. You did. I believe there is a lot of good and very well reasoned analysis on this thread from many sources, you made the point there wasnt.

Sating facts as they are, versus the level of seriousness and threat is in my professional experience, always better than pretending something is different.

You can always still show empathy if someone is scared, (as you suggested) whilst still acknowleging potential severity and threat.

But where do you personally draw the lines? So one person who maybe scared is worthy of empathy and sound advice/ understanding but another disdain?

In the next 3 weeks the UK will have atleast 2000 deaths. If we act now we can contain this and keep those numbers to a minimum.

We must close borders to prevent further spread. We must enforce strict curfews and close all non-essential businesses. Other countries are doing this, why are we still in denial about the seriousness of this?

If we do all of this now, today, we will get over this. If we act in 3 weeks time we will not see the deaths from those infected then for a further 3 weeks, that will be tens of thousands, and that just keeps going up.

Act now, today - before this does anymore damage. Put our people before profit. Protect us.

I'd suggest this person may have anxiety about the impending situation (though I can't speak on their behalf) and everything they suggest is nothing different to the path that has been followed by many leading nations on the advice of their chief advisors, so hardly crazy.

Bit this was the "tempered response and practical steps" to help on this occasion?

Jesus. It’s people like you that I want to distance myself from in times of crisis. Emotional, overwrought, panicked and irrational. For everyone’s sake, leave social media and stay indoors.

I don't want to get into a spat or show disrespect to you, really, everybody is entitled to their opinion and their response. Not agreeing with me is fine, many won't, that's normal. it's the shifting narrative and inconsistent opinion that, maybe even wrongly, had some suggesting trolling and certainly baffled me.

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
I had the misfortune of going to Asda in Hollingbury this morning and the place was packed. It was like Christmas, only without the cheer and and goodwill.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Sorry, why didn't the news make this clear?

It was presented as "overwhelming disagreement" when this first broke...

because if they made it clear it wouldnt make much of a good news story. the media are more interested in ramping up a story than bringing neutral information. sadly this practice has spread beyond the tabloids. one sentence of suggestion will be relayed as government policy, then when criticism and clarification follows they report of indecision and u-turns, keeping the drama alive and never acknowledging they mis-reported in the first place.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Posted this last night and its worth to mention again:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/15/uk-coronavirus-crisis-to-last-until-spring-2021-and-could-see-79m-hospitalised

The Guardian:
"The coronavirus epidemic in the UK will last until next spring and could lead to 7.9 million people being hospitalised, a secret Public Health England (PHE) briefing for senior NHS officials reveals.

The document, seen by the Guardian, is the first time health chiefs tackling the virus have admitted that they expect it to circulate for another 12 months and lead to huge extra strain on an already overstretched NHS.

It also suggests that health chiefs are braced for as many as 80% of Britons becoming infected with the coronavirus over that time.

Prof Chris Whitty, the government’s chief medical adviser, has previously described that figure as the worst-case scenario and suggested that the real number would turn out to be less than that. However, the briefing makes clear that four in five of the population “are expected” to contract the virus.

The document says that: “As many as 80% of the population are expected to be infected with Covid-19 in the next 12 months, and up to 15% (7.9 million people) may require hospitalisation.”"

Also:
"The document also states that:

The health service cannot cope with the sheer number of people with symptoms who need to be tested because laboratories are “under significant demand pressures”.
From now on only the very seriously ill who are already in hospital and people in care homes and prisons where the coronavirus has been detected will get tested.
Testing services are under such strain that even NHS staff will not be swabbed, despite their key role and the risk of them passing the virus on to patients."

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Yes, Yes he did. I will try an find the clip on this morning

He really didn't.

Here is the transcript:

Philip Schofield: Is the delay essentially trying to spread this out so it doesn’t all happen at once and overwhelm the NHS, and that you can actually delay it into perhaps the summer when it’s a little bit quieter and the ordinary flu might have died down a wee bit, is that what you’re doing?

Boris Johnson: Well it’s a very, very important question, and that’s where a lot of the debate has been and one of the theories is, that perhaps you could take it on the chin, take it all in one go and allow the disease, as it were, to move through the population, without taking as many draconian measures. I think we need to strike a balance, I think it is very important, we’ve got a fantastic NHS, we will give them all the support that they need, we will make sure that they have all preparations, all the kit that they need for us to get through it. But I think it would be better if we take all the measures that we can now to stop the peak of the disease being as difficult for the NHS as it might be, I think there are things that we may be able to do.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
I had the misfortune of going to Asda in Hollingbury this morning and the place was packed. It was like Christmas, only without the cheer and and goodwill.

But still had carols playing yeah ?

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here