Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I don't know why broadcasters facilitate such a conversation knowing the doctor can't possibly have the correct answer. The government hasn't published any details of the plan yet...

The game of keeping the listener/viewer hooked.

A broadcaster is like the bloke at a dog fight who occasionally whacks a dog in the bollocks with a stick to keep him lively.

In normal circumstances we tolerate this ('makes great telly') but in times of strife it is basically immoral.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
And this is an example of the lockdown in Benidorm last night:

https://twitter.com/privowen/status/1238916943802961920?s=21

This is what I’m concerned may be a future ‘phase’ for our response plan. This approach may scare and panic people, especially those who haven’t been taking this pandemic seriously.

Just forwarded that to someone who told me a couple of hours ago that this was just flu and nobody had anything to be worried about. That's absolutely terrifying

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Austrian government saying it's the wrong way. BBC article reported earlier they'd sent text messages to UK based citizens telling them to return home to Austria for their own safety as they did not believe in the approach the UK was taking.
yep my mate's Austrian wife got one today.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
The Moderna one was formulated a few weeks back, is being tested on animals and they are expediting human testing to run in parallel, which is unusual.

It is, however, using some funky new tech which is far from guaranteed to work...

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/11...s-vaccine-trial-without-usual-animal-testing/

Wasn't there an American vaccine which was in testing, got some folk very excited... but failed?

Point was/is: it ain't gonna be available any time soon.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The Moderna one was formulated a few weeks back, is being tested on animals and they are expediting human testing to run in parallel, which is unusual.

It is, however, using some funky new tech which is far from guaranteed to work...

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/11...s-vaccine-trial-without-usual-animal-testing/

Thanks for posting that.

Yes, it is all bollocks. The killer text is buried:

"What the company doesn’t say is that it has not yet brought a single product to market, even in non-emergency times. The majority of candidate vaccines fail. If against all odds, this rushed project does work out, then the company needs to be extra careful about monitoring what happens to those people who get it, said Arthur Caplan, head of medical ethics at New York University’s Grossman School of Medicine."

This is like Brighton, considering the overtures of Jocky Scott (RIP), promising to take us to the top of the PL, he with a track record of getting no club anywhere, ever. And he is, actually, dead. Apologies for mentioning football on North Stand Coronavirus.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
No vaccine for at least a year seems to be the prediction of all the experts, think Herd immunity is more likely to come into play with this.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Where do we think this is going to sit in the history of world events? It's certainly going to be in the school text books of the future, I've no doubt about that.

I was born in 1985, and as of three months ago 9/11 ranked comfortably as the most significant global event of my lifetime. I say that, even though the boxing day tsunami of 2004 killed almost 100x as many people - the shock value of 9/11 and the wider global economic impact just sticks in the mind more for me personally and I suspect many others.

Covid-19 somewhat lacks shock value, at least for now. We've seen it coming gradually. Should the day come that we lose hundreds or thousands of our population in a single 24 hour period, that may change. But death toll-wise, it's already comfortably surpsassed 9/11 and will, sadly, almost certainly surpass the deathtoll of the tsunami by the time we reach its endpoint (if such a thing even transpires).

For context, WWII cost something close to 75 million lives. We're not there, and God forbid we won't be or anywhere even close. But I think, without doubt, that what we are about to endure what will be by far the most significant, and the most tragic, event of my life to date.

There's something almost darkly intriguing about witnessing events like 9/11 from a distance. When it's here, on your doorstep, when in all probability it's going to affect you, your family, your friends, your job, your country - it's somewhat more frightening. But still, using WWII for context once more, that must've been absolutely terrifying to live through, if of course you achieved as much.

These are going to be tough, tough times for us all to get through, whether you're young, old or somewhere in the middle. I think most people are clear on that now. To put it into perspective, some people reading this thread tonight may not be with us in six months time, and I include myself in that bracket. I'm not brazen enough to assume that I'll simply be alright.

These are unprecedented, historic times. However, the majority of us will come through it, quite possibly financially worse off but with a new sense of perspective. An appreciation of what's important, and a renewed respect for what nature can do when you f**k it over.

Hang in there everyone - love to you all!

ukpolska

Dec 30, 2017
Warsaw, Poland
This is from 09.00 this morning in Warsaw where I live and normally the streets are packed with cars.

Day four now of lockdown and I am bored bored bored and getting cabin fever. :down: :down:

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
A basic ventilator isn't that hard to put together, and can be relatively low-cost and low-tech. For example http://news.mit.edu/2010/itw-ventilator-0715

It's entirely possible that manufacturers can between them re-tool to make either the components or carry out the assembly.

Interesting article - Esp the when the Doctor theorises about future use in a pandemic..!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Up until a few days ago, my opinion was that the government were following a sensible and informed course of action. Although not admitted I believe that part of the plan is to develop herd immunity in the population. Countries such as China are likely to have a second wave of infections. If the figures are correct 80,000 infections in a few billion leaves the rest of the population vulnerable.
I also think that effect on the economy is also put into models, ultimately if the economy crashes there will be a lot more indirect deaths.
If policy is solely based on mathematical models it is incredibly dangerous, even though most will have mild symptoms there will be many apparently healthy younger people who will need hospitalisation. Our icu provision will be at breaking point in a short time. If our nhs was better South Korea appear to be the country that have got this sussed. We can’t replicate them as their health provision is much better than ours.

I think we just need to follow our European neighbors, I expect our health service will be at breaking point in 2 weeks.

Why exactly do we need to follow our European neighbours?

Have they all identical strategies?

Where’s the evidence that their particular strategies are working, or will prove more successful than eg the UK’s?

This pandemic is a new scenario for every government, so many unknowns.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Where do we think this is going to sit in the history of world events? It's certainly going to be in the school text books of the future, I've no doubt about that.

I was born in 1985, and as of three months ago 9/11 ranked comfortably as the most significant global event of my lifetime. I say that, even though the boxing day tsunami of 2004 killed almost 100x as many people - the shock value of 9/11 and the wider global economic impact just sticks in the mind more for me personally and I suspect many others.

It is a game changer just like 9/11.

Best case scenario there will be a few million deaths and huge "phew" when it is over and even in that case society will transform on a global level to not allow a similar situation to happen. World is always moving in a direction of control, "safety", surveillance etc - this is definitely going to boost it. Technological jump in e-medicine (self diagnosis tools and so on) is also a revolution waiting to happen.

I would also expect political turmoil once both the crisis and initial relief is over. This could be a giant backlash to globalisation. Swedish government went out and said that there is a global lack of equpement and no one is willing to export anything. Since with globalisation, a lot of countries that have moved from industry to service based societys are going to have problems.

It could also bring major changes to how the economy works. This is one of the times where the "basic income" idea would solve a lot of practical issues, and the need for it might increase with this crisis: if it takes several years to recover the economy and you get unemployment rates of 20%, a lot of companies will probably use this time of recovery to transit into emerging technologies, like AI and robotics, and never employ as many as they did before the crisis.

Then of course there is the chance that everything just collapses entirely, but that would be a different type of game changer...

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
Thanks for posting that.

Yes, it is all bollocks. The killer text is buried:

"What the company doesn’t say is that it has not yet brought a single product to market, even in non-emergency times. The majority of candidate vaccines fail. If against all odds, this rushed project does work out, then the company needs to be extra careful about monitoring what happens to those people who get it, said Arthur Caplan, head of medical ethics at New York University’s Grossman School of Medicine."

This is like Brighton, considering the overtures of Jocky Scott (RIP), promising to take us to the top of the PL, he with a track record of getting no club anywhere, ever. And he is, actually, dead. Apologies for mentioning football on North Stand Coronavirus.

You need to update the logo, [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION]. A new name and maybe some hazard tape.

NorthStandChatLogo.jpg

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
I'm interested in whether they have started closing gyms and health clubs in the UK yet. Some places fairly close to NYC have shut their gyms. My local gym was still open today but said they are reviewing this, I'm guessing they will shut shortly. I imagine their attendances are down anyway as some members will be self-isolating. But IMHO I would have thought so long as they enforce the cleanliness regime they have implemented and practice social distancing it would be better to keep them open so members, if they want, can still use them to keep fit and healthy which I would have thought was a plus under the current circumstances.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here