An alternative view from the US...

draper.png

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Meaningless, really. Not all 1.5 Billion people have been exposed to it.

Why is that meaningless. Are you saying everyone in the world will be exposed to it? If so we might as well hold coronavirus exposure parties and crack on with it and just see what happens. The idea, around the world is that we are trying NOT to expose people to it. If not, I demand my marathon place and holiday back.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Why is that meaningless. Are you saying everyone in the world will be exposed to it? If so we might as well hold coronavirus exposure parties and crack on with it and just see what happens. The idea, around the world is that we are trying NOT to expose people to it. If not, I demand my marathon place and holiday back.
No, I'm saying that the lockdown in China meant that the fatalities are mostly within a smaller geographical subset of the total Chinese population. So calculations using the entire Chinese population figure are not very helpful.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
This over 70's isolation plan has to be extremely well defined and explained. I heard a doctor on Radio 5 earlier answering an elderly gentleman who wanted to know whether he would still be able to go for his daily bike ride. The doctor said yes, as long as he did not mix with others. I am sure others will come along and say that he should not do this.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley

I didn’t think that was the proposal at all.

All the talk coming from official sources in this country and others is that the aim is to keep the rate of infection as low as possible so as not to overload health services.

I’ve not seen any claims that the actions being taken are designed to stop people from ever getting infected.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I didn’t think that was the proposal at all.

All the talk coming from official sources in this country and others is that the aim is to keep the rate of infection as low as possible so as not to overload health services.

I’ve not seen any claims that the actions being taken are designed to stop people from ever getting infected.

Agree 100% but my challenge was a statistical one. If we are going to see how successful the above is, we need to measure the infection rates against the whole population.

There are figures of 80% infection being bandied about. To know if that's sane you MUST measure it against the whole population.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Coronavirus / Covid-19

under the surface government may have more action going on, they have banned parallel export of a range of drugs. anti-malaria and anti-rumatism (oddly) ones are reported being trialed in China with positive response. on bad side number of rumours indicating ibuprofen is bad, makes reaction to virus worse.

Daughter mentioned exactly this to me earlier today - those regularly taking ibuprofen showing greater propensity to increased effects of the infection (she has a condition that means she takes a fair amount, and is also a nurse in a ward dealing with elderly patients, so has a vested interest).

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I bloody hope not. For 99% of those of us under 70 to be immune, due to having had it, then about 55 million of us need to get it. If we manage that in 6 months (so a good chunk longer than the 4 months being touted as a quarantine time for the over 70s), then we'll be getting over 2 million new infections per week. Holy shit that's one ****ed country right there.

But for many of us it will be relatively mild symptoms, provided you’re under a certain age and have no respiratory problems.

Some of us may have had if already.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Agree 100% but my challenge was a statistical one. If we are going to see how successful the above is, we need to measure the infection rates against the whole population.

There are figures of 80% infection being bandied about. To know if that's sane you MUST measure it against the whole population.

Agreed in principle - the problem though is that we can’t measure infection rates against the whole population because we don’t know how many have been or are infected. The only definitive number we do have is how many have died of the disease. Even that number is debatable depending on the veracity and accuracy of the reports being made by the various countries.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

[MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] (I think) posted that earlier. I had another look. Apart from the discrepancy with the two countries testing methods, one should bear in mind that the Korean outbreak was largely influenced by a religious cult. It may be that the cult had a very young demographic which would then affect any analysis and render these kind of results almost useless when applied to general populations elsewhere.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[TWEET]1239217522093764608[/TWEET]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here