Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea
France have approx 4x the number of positive cases and deaths compared with the UK.

You're missing very key words: confirmed cases.
Just last week Spain backdated a death from CV to Feb 13th.
When we do similar testing, that we should have been doing all along, we will have the same results. In reality our 'real' numbers will be much closer to our neighbours.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Hundreds of UK scientists are now coming out against the government’s strategy:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/science-environment-51892402

This is in addition to the World Health Organisation apparently:

“...But Anthony Costello, a paediatrician and former World Health Organization director, said that the UK government was out of kilter with other countries in looking to herd immunity as the answer. It could conflict with WHO policy, he said in a series of Twitter posts, which is to contain the virus by tracking and tracing all cases. He quoted Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, the WHO director general, who said: “The idea that countries should shift from containment to mitigation is wrong and dangerous.”
Herd immunity might not even last, Costello said. “Does coronavirus cause strong herd immunity or is it like flu where new strains emerge each year needing repeat vaccines? We have much to learn about Co-V immune responses.” Vaccines, he said, were a much safer way of bringing it about”

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp....munity-will-the-uks-coronavirus-strategy-work

Seems like the government’s plan is marmite amongst the Scientific community.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Good article on the 'herd immunity' policy that the government apparently wants to pursue:

https://theconversation.com/amp/coronavirus-can-herd-immunity-really-protect-us-133583

This is the quote that is shuddering:

"Achieving herd immunity would require well over 47 million people to be infected in the UK. Current estimates are that COVID-19 has a 2.3% case-fatality rate and a 19% rate of severe disease. This means that achieving herd immunity to COVID-19 in the UK could result in the deaths of more than a million people with a further eight million severe infections requiring critical care."

WTF are these 2 bellends thinking? A vaccine maybe found sooner, a hot summer may help it's spread. Is a prime minister going along with a strategy to accept a million deaths, when the whole world does the opposite?

FFS Listen to the open letter today from 229 scientists saying this is the wrong play. It's madness and these 2 advisors are proving the line between genius and madness is small. Sir Patrick and Prof Whittey are deluding themselves.. Get rid of them fronting the response before they get rid of a million Brits.

D

Deleted member 22389

You're missing very key words: confirmed cases.
Just last week Spain backdated a death from CV to Feb 13th.
When we do similar testing, that we should have been doing all along, we will have the same results. In reality our 'real' numbers will be much closer to our neighbours.

I think your right. Just make your own plan of action now.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
WTF are these 2 bellends thinking? A vaccine maybe found sooner, a hot summer may help it's spread. Is a prime minister going along with a strategy to accept a million deaths, when the whole world does the opposite?

the world is not doing the opposite. we are not equiped or inclinded to go full Chinese lockdown - are you going to accept no movement and an army drop off noodles to the street every couple of weeks? the rest of Europe is hoping for a longer delay through less contacts will give the same outcome as us.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I really don't think so. My analogy may not be easy to understand, but I think it's what the government are trying to do. As does someone who knows more than me about this - and he even talks about a tap!

[tweet]1238518371651649538[/tweet]

1. The govt strategy on #Coronavirus is more refined than those used in other countries and potentially very effective. But it is also riskier and based on a number of assumptions. They need to be correct, and the measures they introduce need to work when they are supposed to.

2. This all assumes I'm correct in what I think the govt are doing and why. I could be wrong - and wouldn't be surprised. But it looks to me like. . .

3. A UK starting assumption is that a high number of the population will inevitably get infected whatever is done – up to 80%. As you can’t stop it, so it is best to manage it.

There are limited health resources so the aim is to manage the flow of the seriously ill to these.

4. The Italian model the aims to stop infection. The UKs wants infection BUT of particular categories of people. The aim of the UK is to have as many lower risk people infected as possible. Immune people cannot infect others; the more there are the lower the risk of infection

5. That's herd immunity.
Based on this idea, at the moment the govt wants people to get infected, up until hospitals begin to reach capacity. At that they want to reduce, but not stop infection rate. Ideally they balance it so the numbers entering hospital = the number leaving.

6. That balance is the big risk.

All the time people are being treated, other mildly ill people are recovering and the population grows a higher percent of immune people who can’t infect. They can also return to work and keep things going normally - and go to the pubs.

7.The risk is being able to accurately manage infection flow relative to health case resources. Data on infection rates needs to be accurate, the measures they introduce need to work and at the time they want them to and to the degree they want, or the system is overwhelmed.

8. Schools: Kids generally won’t get very ill, so the govt can use them as a tool to infect others when you want to increase infection. When you need to slow infection, that tap can be turned off – at that point they close the schools. Politically risky for them to say this.

9. The same for large scale events - stop them when you want to slow infection rates; turn another tap off. This means schools etc are closed for a shorter period and disruption generally is therefore for a shorter period, AND with a growing immune population. This is sustainable

10. After a while most of the population is immune, the seriously ill have all received treatment and the country is resistant. The more vulnerable are then less at risk. This is the end state the govt is aiming for and could achieve.
I have an issue with this strategy. I can see the basic logic is not having measures too drastic until close to a time when the health services are on the limit, but I do no accept the notion that we need to be in a hurry to get to that point.

So while I accept that we keep the economy going, and we leave schools open, I do not agree that we should still have mass gatherings. We can get to the point described above (health service at the limit) and then close schools etc, but it would be even better if we didn't get to that point until a bit later - until we're a bit closer to summer, until we're a bit closer to a vaccine, until we've got a few more people already recovered and no longer spreading the virus.

The strategy hypothesised also includes allowing healthy people getting the virus, but not the vulnerable. How are we to achieve that?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Hundreds of UK scientists are now coming out against the government’s strategy:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/science-environment-51892402

This is in addition to the World Health Organisation apparently:

“...But Anthony Costello, a paediatrician and former World Health Organization director, said that the UK government was out of kilter with other countries in looking to herd immunity as the answer. It could conflict with WHO policy, he said in a series of Twitter posts, which is to contain the virus by tracking and tracing all cases. He quoted Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, the WHO director general, who said: “The idea that countries should shift from containment to mitigation is wrong and dangerous.”
Herd immunity might not even last, Costello said. “Does coronavirus cause strong herd immunity or is it like flu where new strains emerge each year needing repeat vaccines? We have much to learn about Co-V immune responses.” Vaccines, he said, were a much safer way of bringing it about”

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp....munity-will-the-uks-coronavirus-strategy-work

Seems like the government’s plan is marmite amongst the Scientific community.

I think the reason the WHO haven’t taken an official stance is that there is not much evidence containment is working, and where containment has slowed or reduced numbers, the risk is a twin peak or second epidemic.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Precisely what the nurses are saying.........
So you're saying that anyone who can be discharged, is being discharged, unless they don't have a family, in which case they're being discharged even if they can't be?

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
While I understand what the medial advisors to the government are trying to do, I suspect it will shortly become untenable to continue with this strategy. It might be better to go along with the other countries in the area and have a more complete lockdown: if we all do it at the same time it will probably be more successful.

Then the problem of how to stop the lockdown will be shared, at least - and when, as we probably will - we go through all of this again in around six months, we will all at least know the drill.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I’ve had a mild fever for the last 2/3 days (clammy legs in bed at night), today I’ve had aching legs while driving - pretty rare for me. And now a cough.

I probably haven’t, but still thinking whether I should go into work on Monday or not.
So you've got a new fever and cough. No, of course you shouldn't go in. You should self-isolate now. That's what the government advice is. Why have you ignored their advice and not self-isolated already?

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
No, but Mrs T works for them.
That's not the point. You don't go 'oh **** it, he's got no family so who cares'.

Look I’m on your side

The Tories have contributed to this shambles by not investing over the last ten years

And now the only scientist who thinks our strategy is correct is the Chief Scientist under pressure from a bunch of right wing nut jobs

We’re all going to be an ex Albion fan sometime, I just might be sooner because of BJ and his ilk

Pisses me off a bit to be honest and full respect to your other half - heroes the lot of them

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I miss BREXIT

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here