Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

johanngull

Jul 8, 2015
Just had to google efficasity-thanks Boris

Used in a sentence-
The efficasity of intravitreal bevacizumab injection for macular edema due to retinal vein occlusion

Glad thats cleared up.

el punal

Aug 29, 2012
The dull part of the south coast
Early signs that absolutely nothing changes. Elderly or at risk not to go on crises and school trips abroad cancelled. That’s about it apparently

History will judge whether this country has already left it too late to take decisive action and is now sitting on its collective hands (after washing them of course)

History will certainly judge - as it always does, you know, hindsight being a wonderful thing and all that. It seems you’ve already made your judgement despite the fact that no one really knows how this is all going to pan out. We can only be advised by scientific and medical experts as to what they believe is the best course of action. Let’s leave it there for the moment - unless of course you have a mind boggling alternative solution that no one else has thought of.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Just imagine Corbyn or May being in charge....

Yes, trying to imagine them evading, blustering and coming up with fatuous soundbites is almost impossible to do.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
A politician being totally open and honest, isn’t that what we have been crying out for?

I have not been a big Boris fan but he’s doing OK in the current crisis imo

Chances are that most of us are going to be getting this virus sooner or later imo
Given his mendacious track record, I wouldn't bet on his honesty.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Used in a sentence-
The efficasity of intravitreal bevacizumab injection for macular edema due to retinal vein occlusion

Glad thats cleared up.

Efficacity.

It just means effectiveness - the word anyone normal - trying to actually INFORM his audience, rather than trying to come across as 'clever', would have used.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013

Used in a sentence-

Glad thats cleared up.

Just keep using this and you will be fine.
purell-antiseptique-avance-gel-rafraichissant-236-ml.png

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Yes, trying to imagine them evading, blustering and coming up with fatuous soundbites is almost impossible to do.

Time to put those prejudices to one side and judge on what he is doing currently. Whatever your political views I doubt there’s anyone out there who’d be more upfront than he is being at the moment.

I am finding it refreshing to see a politician not ducking and diving. Shit is happening, at least he’s calling it.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Laughable innit.

Is it though ?

Someone on NSC has already said they are worried about a cruise being cancelled his wife, children on one or other of their Mums - several pointed out not really a good idea for an older person to go on a cruise.

Cruise ships are lethal in this type of scenario, I would have thought a responsible action for Cruise Companies would be to cancel them all.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
A small number on here.... and governments around the world. :ffsparr:

What they are saying makes sense, and other national governments don't seem to be considering the logic.

If other governments are going into "lock down", while still very much pre-peak, their populations are going to start to wane when it comes to following the instructions, and by the time the peak arrives they will have people who have lost their resolve and become fed up. Their measures taken now will be less effective when they matter the most.

There is nothing about that which doesn't make sense. The real question isn't why our govt isn't following others. It's why others are not accounting for the fact that when their peak hits, their populations will be weeks into these measures and some people could potentially have significantly let their guard down, either through complacency or fatigue.

How much tolerance do you think people have for staying home and isolating? a month? three months?

It's going to be harder than people think, we are chosing to sprint at what will be identified as the correct moment, others are chosing to expend their energy now. Understandable, but reactionary, and very possibly a mistake.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
Trust the science and expert advice or trust the internet. It's a tricky one.

Nope, it's UK experts v Rest of the world experts.

From La Liga to NBA, most other countries have cancelled major sporting events for several weeks.

That alone sets us apart, leaving aside the fact that some have gone into full lockdown, shut schools etc.

Let's hope the UK experts are right, eh?

What they are saying makes sense, and other national governments don't seem to be considering the logic.

If other governments are going into "lock down", while still very much pre-peak, their populations are going to start to wane when it comes to following the instructions, and by the time the peak arrives they will have people who have lost their resolve and become fed up. Their measures taken now will be less effective when they matter the most.

There is nothing about that which doesn't make sense. The real question isn't why our govt isn't following others. It's why others are not accounting for the fact that when their peak hits, their populations will be weeks into these measures and some people could potentially have significantly let their guard down.

How much tolerance do you think people have for staying home and isolating? a month? three months?

It's going to be harder than people think, we are chosing to sprint at what will be identified as the correct moment, others are chosing to expend their energy now. Understandable, but very possibly a mistake.

Yes, I understand the thinking. It may be right (let's hope so!). But let's not pretend that only "a few people on the Internet" don't agree with the UK strategy.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Interesting that the government are advising over 70 year olds to stop going on cruises....that will kill Saga holidays if that goes on for a while. We had a ship visit a few months ago and we were the youngest people on the ship by about 20 years!

johanngull

Jul 8, 2015
Efficacity.

It just means effectiveness - the word anyone normal - trying to actually INFORM his audience, rather than trying to come across as 'clever', would have used.

no need to get all efficasity about it
NowTV has a £1 a month offer for two months sky movies i have just seen
Not really related i know but thats how i efficasitate

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Is it though ?

Someone on NSC has already said they are worried about a cruise being cancelled his wife, children on one or other of their Mums - several pointed out not really a good idea for an older person to go on a cruise.

Cruise ships are lethal in this type of scenario, I would have thought a responsible action for Cruise Companies would be to cancel them all.

Carnival / Princess have announced exactly that.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/12/...-coronavirus-covid-19-cancel-ships-two-months

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here