Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
We are literally watching history play out in front of our eyes. What is happening (or not) will be talked about for hundreds of years to come.

The lack of action from our Government is going to cost hundreds of thousands of people their lives

China has stemmed the tide at around 3.5k deaths in a country of 1.4bn people yet we are going to see 100’s of thousands die. Really?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Had an email this afternoon from my employer to announce that all sit down exams at my university this Spring are cancelled. Staff (like me) are asked to come up with some alternative form of assessment.

If you have kids at university tell them to not let staff fob them off with some half baked old bollocks.

I have a cunning plan for my students, but I would, because I'm good at this shite and I can be bothered.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
The Government of the UK will inevitably take a different route to that of say, China, but that certainly doesn't mean that your arch demons, Cummings and Johnson are willing to put the over 60's at unneccessary risk.Do you really think Johnson would say to the CMO, 'Oh bollocks to that idea Professor Witty, who cares if a load of wrinklies peg'!
Christ on a bike.........anyway, a cynic like you would know that it is the 60+ brigade are the main Tory voters. For what it is worth, this crisis is above politics and I reckon most balanced people in this country appreciate that.
A balance between keeping the country running and at the same time protecting the population has to be found. I believe that is what the Government and its advisers are doing. Not an easy job, but I reckon they are doing ok so far.

I merely posted what the Deputy Editor of the Telegraph posted.....

Maybe it’s being discussed in higher echelons

“take it on the chin”

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
We are literally watching history play out in front of our eyes. What is happening (or not) will be talked about for hundreds of years to come.

The lack of action from our Government is going to cost hundreds of thousands of people their lives

I can only assume you work for the Daily Mail.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
I just don’t believe that the Chief Medical Officer will be able to persuade Cummins and Johnson away from the fact that they are putting economics over the over 60’s

From the Telegraph

8e9484a37661f991b18a84d2fd074607.jpg

I doubt it. They need the over 60s to survive to vote them back in at next election!

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Coronavirus / Covid-19

Italy's health care system is excellent. In terms of capacity to deal with the outbreak, probably somewhat ahead of the UK.

Given our reaction to this so far, I'm thinking the fact we are not where Italy is, may be a lot more luck than judgement.

View attachment 120914

A quote from the independent on line.

Ignoring emergency policy

Experts believe government and international health advice on self-isolation may not have been observed when the first cases were declared in Italy last month.

Professor Della Giusta believes that movement between regions did not stop when the schools were first closed in northern regions a few weeks ago and many people did not take self-isolation measures.

“When schools got shut in Lombardy a lot of people just took their kids and went off on holiday to their holiday homes in the mountains and at the seaside in the other regions.

“They thought they were making their kids safe by taking them away, but this kind of behaviour is really very damaging.”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Only if you're old or have underlying health problems.

Well good for you that you are some kind of ****ing egomaniac imbecill who dont give a shit about anyone else other than yourself.

I care about my grandpa who is 80, my dad who recently had half is lung removed, and I'm not indifferent to the thought of 20% of all 70+ dying from this shit drowning their lungs.

I dont normally go aggressive on a personal level but people with their head so far up their own ass that they dont give a **** about anyone else... psychopath shit.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I merely posted what the Deputy Editor of the Telegraph posted.....

Maybe it’s being discussed in higher echelons

“take it on the chin”

No you didn't Nobby, you added your pennyworth in re Johnson and Cummings.
Anyway, not to worry, I am 71 and if my time is soon to be up, I'll take it on the chin.:D

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I’m genuinely staggered at the sheer ignorance (or stupidity, or hubris, or both) demonstrated by some here and others in Brighton the past week.

There is an official proclamation today that Covid-19 is officially a pandemic. You literally can’t get more official then that. And this thing is just getting started. It’s escalating with no vaccine in sight.

Are people really still suggesting this is “just a flu mate”. I mean really??

Reminded of George Carlin lately:
“Some people are really ****in’ stupid. Look at it this way. Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realise that half of ‘em are stupider then that”.

There’s some real scary dumbass mother******* walking around. This thread is testament to that.

That quote too, as he is a bit confused about averages.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Well good for you that you are some kind of ****ing egomaniac imbecill who dont give a shit about anyone else other than yourself.

I care about my grandpa who is 80, my dad who recently had half is lung removed, and I'm not indifferent to the thought of 20% of all 70+ dying from this shit drowning their lungs.

I dont normally go aggressive on a personal level but people with their head so far up their own ass that they dont give a **** about anyone else... psychopath shit.

I concur .

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Had an email this afternoon from my employer to announce that all sit down exams at my university this Spring are cancelled. Staff (like me) are asked to come up with some alternative form of assessment.

If you have kids at university tell them to not let staff fob them off with some half baked old bollocks.

I have a cunning plan for my students, but I would, because I'm good at this shite and I can be bothered.

Harry Baldrick Wilson.:wink:

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
A quote from the independent on line.

Ignoring emergency policy

Experts believe government and international health advice on self-isolation may not have been observed when the first cases were declared in Italy last month.

Professor Della Giusta believes that movement between regions did not stop when the schools were first closed in northern regions a few weeks ago and many people did not take self-isolation measures.

“When schools got shut in Lombardy a lot of people just took their kids and went off on holiday to their holiday homes in the mountains and at the seaside in the other regions.

“They thought they were making their kids safe by taking them away, but this kind of behaviour is really very damaging.”

We've got the Easter holidays in 3 weeks. I bet there's loads of families who have paid thousands for a break with their kids, if the government wants to stop it (like the Italians), they should come to some arrangement with insurers or with their travel advice. If people could claim their money back, I bet loads would, but as they can't, they'll run the gauntlet and hope for the best.

A lot of people aren't going to heed any government advice of 'its advisable to self quarantine' (if that means - forget your family holiday and write off the money you've been saving for ages) if they're not feeling symptoms.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I want to reiterate again.

The likely number of new infections today was not 83.

It was >1,000.

Maybe you still think that is fine and of little concern, but we should be basing our decision making on a figure more like that rather than <100.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Well, perhaps an email to the Chief Medical Officer and c.c.to the Chief Scientific Adviser would put them in the picture and point out the error of their ways.
Yes, I know that is a sarcastic reply, but I, for one, trust the experts to give the best advice and I don't believe any Government would go against that advice.When and if circumstances change ,so will the advice and subsequent actions to be taken.

No offence taken :)

if there is some scientific master plan we're all meant to trust? Why are so many other nations closing off flights from hotspots/quarantine' zones and we're not?

Do you trust it's in our interest to have daily flights arriving from Milan with no checks at the airport?

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
We've got the Easter holidays in 3 weeks. I bet there's loads of families who have paid thousands for a break with their kids, if the government wants to stop it (like the Italians), they should come to some arrangement with insurers or with their travel advice. If people could claim their money back, I bet loads would, but as they can't, they'll run the gauntlet and hope for the best.

A lot of people aren't going to heed any government advice of 'its advisable to self quarantine' (if that means - forget your family holiday and write off the money you've been saving for ages) if they're not feeling symptoms.

One of the issues with the virus is that apart from the ‘at risk’ 80% of the population may just get a very mild dose. It would have been better if it has been more like a bad case of flu. It would focus the minds regarding behaviours and people would heed advice. I suspect there are a far number of people who ‘think’ they might have it but because they feel ok they think ‘f*ck it no point’.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
I want to reiterate again.

The likely number of new infections today was not 83.

It was >1,000.

Maybe you still think that is fine and of little concern, but we should be basing our decision making on a figure more like that rather than <100.

It's always good to.reiterate the completely obvious. Except those you are trying to change the minds of wont take it on board anyway.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
d7cf5f074165629465197338130130c6.jpg

Expect a step change in approach from tomorrow. Government guidelines say action in this phase includes potential school closures, social distancing, and ban on large gathering events.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
It's always good to.reiterate the completely obvious. Except those you are trying to change the minds of wont take it on board anyway.

I'm not sure it's completely obvious to everyone.

I wish the Govt would point this out to people. Sure, announce the new number of detections. But you must also have modelling which points out what I am saying, and they should be sharing that too.

I recon there are very many people who are currently taking their chances with it while they hear a new figure of <100 today, who would be much more careful if they understood that there were not <100 new cases today, there were very likely >1,000 cases today.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here