Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
I definately recall you playing this situation down only a few days ago, what was it you said?

As for being "sorry to going to insults...but", calling someone a ****ing idiot is completely uncalled for.

Also worth noting that an apology, followed by a conditional (but, or if), is not a sincere apology.

I cant see much of what you've quoted as incorrect?

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
That’s all you’re basically saying.

No, the graph is specifically showing that official/known figures lag behind the real figures. So authorities need to act sooner rather than later.

It explains why the government will shut down schools before the UK figures look that big.

And it shoots down bullsh1t arguments such as "Only 11 people in Sussex have been diagnosed, so of course The Amex is safe!".

If you have nothing constructive to add, and you're not personally bothered by the virus and its potential, why keep coming back to this thread?

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I cant see much of what you've quoted as incorrect?

It’s not but because some people are not panicking it means we don’t care. Typical way that NSC threads end up these days.
Enough to make anyone self isolate :)

I’ve never seen so many graphs all saying the same thing; people are catching the virus.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
That’s all you’re basically saying.

It's saying that because of the lag between onset and detection, when there were 100 new cases detected in one day in Hubei, there were infact 1,500 actual new cases going undetected.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It's saying that because of the lag between onset and detection, when there were 100 new cases detected in one day in Hubei, there were infact 1,500 actual new cases going undetected.

I would have thought it fairly obvious that lots of cases are going undetected. Just goes to show how mild the virus is at present .

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I would have thought it fairly obvious that lots of cases are going undetected.

Fair enough.

But I'm not sure that most people appreciate that when they hear that there are 83 new cases today, the actual number of new cases over the last 24 hours, based on what we know about what happened in China, is more reasonably going to be in the region of 1,250.

I might not be that concerned when I hear about an increase of 83. Personally I consider 1k+ a different matter.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Fair enough.

But I'm not sure that most people appreciate that when they hear that there are 83 new cases today, the actual number of new cases over the last 24 hours, based on what we know about what happened in China, is more reasonably going to be in the region of 1,250.

I might not be that concerned when I hear about an increase of 83. Personally I consider 1k+ a different matter.

I take it as given that there will be thousands more cases than go detected. Demonstrates how mild the virus is in its current form.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

It's widely believed that, unless you are immunocompromised (and even then it's rare), you CAN'T catch it twice.

There was one Japanese case which sparked the "you can get it twice" rumour, but that seems to have largely been discounted as either an incorrect test result or the virus flared up in her again. which some viruses do apparently.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I take it as given that there will be thousands more cases than go detected. Demonstrates how mild the virus is in its current form.

No, you misunderstand. They are not undetected because they are mild, although some will be ultimately.

They are undetected because onset was in the last 24 hours. Incubation period averages 5 days and can be up to 14. They are undetected because they won't be symptomatic for some time yet.

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα

The graph shows the delay in detecting from onset to diagnosis. So it has nothing to do with undetected cases. It says that testing and detection lags behind reality.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
No, you misunderstand. They are not undetected because they are mild, although some will be ultimately.

They are undetected because onset was in the last 24 hours. Incubation period averages 5 days and can be up to 14. They are undetected because they won't be symptomatic for some time yet.

Erm, it's both.

There is absolutely no way we are wasting testing kits on people with very mild symptoms. They may well not even be presenting to the authorities. It's also possible, as with any other virus, to be a carrier without getting sick.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here