Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;9273070 said:
Hasn't been updated since 9am yesterday morning, so expecting the picture to be quite different now. Actually a little bit concerned that they haven't updated it for so long as it seems like they are hiding the data to avoid panic.

Nah.

I noticed this mid-last week. We update our numbers once a day in the afternoon, but the numbers are always as at 9am that day.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;9273070 said:
Hasn't been updated since 9am yesterday morning, so expecting the picture to be quite different now. Actually a little bit concerned that they haven't updated it for so long as it seems like they are hiding the data to avoid panic.

hopefully and more over reactions can ensure work is shut down.

Don't be concerned

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
Nah.

I noticed this mid-last week. We update our numbers once a day in the afternoon, but the numbers are always as at 9am that day.

Hmnn, I'm pretty sure I checked it yesterday morning at around 10:30am and the data on there was exactly the same as this morning. Could well be wrong though! Is there any other official numbers apart from that interactive tracker?

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
Question: Self isolating seems impossible to implement effectively. I can't hole up for months. Is there an alternative?

Answer: Yes. If you are young (under 50) and free from respiratory issues (asthma, COPD etc), just live normally. If you get the virus you will live. If you are old or at risk, I would continue to self isolate provided you can get your shopping done by a family member, but frankly you are not guaranteed to stay well all the time you come into contact with people who go out and about.

Thanks Dr Mike. You say "continue to self-isolate", but older folk have not been advised this and are not currently in isolation.

Those who are "living life normally" (with many blatantly taking no additional hygiene measures) are freely mixing with those at risk, on public transport, at work and at football matches etc.

Also, while your general theme is "can't do much about it", I'm sure you'll agree that we have to slow down the spread as much as possible to manage NHS resources?

Italian-style shutdowns are to protect the vulnerable (and resources), and imo that makes the "I'm alright jack" attitude of some unhelpful at best.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
No, you made a statement that less than 100 will die of a Corona related issue in the UK, care to back it up?

I’m basing my estimate on what is happening in Germany not anywhere else. This is because I believe we are a lot more similar to them in a lot of aspects (including our DNA!) in comparison to Italy, China, Iran and even the States. We also have a lot more control over our borders in the U.K than in Germany which could be an advantage (if the government would only screen travellers from northern Italy, Iran and other hard hit areas).

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
Interesting that the NHS guidance for anyone who is suffering from fever, dry cough, but HAVEN'T travelled to a high risk location or is not known to have been in contact with people with Coronavirus are NOT tested, and to carry on as normal. We still don't know 100% how this is being transmitted, so surely wouldn't it be best to get this nipped in the bud?

jabba

Jul 15, 2009
York
German Chancellor Angela Merkel has warned that according to experts, 60-70% of the German population could become infected with the coronavirus.

She said that since there's no cure yet, governments need to focus on slowing its spread.

"When the virus is out there, the population has no immunity and no therapy exists, then 60 to 70% of the population will be infected," she was quoted by the Reuters news agency as telling reporters in Berlin.

"The process has to be focused on not overburdening the health system by slowing the virus's spread. It's about winning time."

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Cheltenham Festival was 10% down on last year. I suspect we’d be looking at 10% down on Saturday too, around 27,000 if there are no more cases confirmed in Brighton. (Think we have one active at the moment).

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Thanks Dr Mike. You say "continue to self-isolate", but older folk have not been advised this and are not currently in isolation.

Those who are "living life normally" (with many blatantly taking no additional hygiene measures) are freely mixing with those at risk, on public transport, at work and at football matches etc.

Also, while your general theme is "can't do much about it", I'm sure you'll agree that we have to slow down the spread as much as possible to manage NHS resources?

Italian-style shutdowns are to protect the vulnerable (and resources), and imo that makes the "I'm alright jack" attitude of some unhelpful at best.

Morning, squire.

First, yes, there is no 'official' advice to self isolate. But there won't be until it becomes compulsory to self isolate....which it won't (we are not Italy or China).

Remember, we are essentially talking about young fit people self-isolating and losing pay (and possibly their job) on the off chance it may be them who would otherwise infect and kill an old person.

A old person with a support network might self isolate to protect himself/herself, but that's not what most of us think of when the word 'self-isolate' is mentioned.

As for slowing down the spread.....if that means slowing it down sufficiently long that we might have a vaccine ready, sure. Two problems: the first is this means a year at best (it will have run its course by then with no measures taken), and second, delaying the inevitable is just prolonging the agony. Remember, slowing down the spread does not mean reducing the total number of people who will be infected.

So it may be fair to ask whether slowing down the spread might reduce the total number of people infected. I think not. However, back to hygeine etc., sure, wash your hands. Self isolate if you can do so without jeopardising your income or employment. I suspect most of my recycling ends up in land fill in China, but I still recycle. But I am that sort of bloke. What about people who aren't?.

What about folk getting on a crowded train and coughing into the fresh air (not even a hand up) like the young tosser did on my train to work yesterday. The bloke sitting next to him moved his seat. Nobody said anything. Some people glared but there wasn't even any tutting. Mind you the cougher in question was young, black, wearing traccy bottoms, mad-looking and listening to unlistenable shit on his phone, in 'speaker phone' mode.

Would an Italian style shutdown keep that sort of prat off the streets? Maybe. If the police were armed.

I don't think there are only two options - do nothing or lock everyone down. Personally I prefer my solution - take whatever precautions you can reasonably take, maximising these if you are in a high risk (of death) group, but otherwise carry on as normal.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
It seems the panic buyers have moved on from toilet rolls and pasta.

In my local supermarket this morning, still no toilet rolls and low to none on flour, sugar, other baking products if you make bread at home, clothes washing stuff and washing up liquids.

Obviously more shortfalls to come on goods imported from Italy.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Coronavirus / Covid-19

I have two daughters who are teachers.

I was speculating around a ramping up date for restrictions and thinking about school holiday dates.

Easter holidays will start around 3 April for a couple of weeks

My guess is that the Govt will try and wait until maybe a week before that to start closing schools to minimise economic disruption. So in about 10 days time.

By that date the level of live cases and deaths will probably justify that course of action.
They can then wait and assess progress with schools returning around 20 April

Just my opinion, like.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
It seems the panic buyers have moved on from toilet rolls and pasta.

In my local supermarket this morning, still no toilet rolls and low to none on flour, sugar, other baking products if you make bread at home, clothes washing stuff and washing up liquids.

Obviously more shortfalls to come on goods imported from Italy.

FFS.

Surely stores should start to monitor people with three trolley loads

Get looting laws in now!

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Does anybody know if numerous weeping cysts across your rib-tickler is a symptom?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[Tweet]1237689414060556289[/tweet]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here