Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
It seems that when the UK moves to the next phase of this virus outbreak, people will be told to self-isolate for even a minor cough or cold.

Is it just me or does this seem totally over the top and unnecessary. I could understand that if you had flu like symptoms with a cough that you should isolate, but what if you have a smokers cough, self-isolation. Something gets caught in your throat, cough - self-isolation.

If you fancy a couple of weeks off work, this will be an open invitation, "Hi Boss, I coughed this morning so given the Governments instructions I won't be in for a couple of weeks, bye"

I can't see this being adhered to by many people, who will still get out and about, particularly those who would receive no sick pay, but still feel well enough to work.

I ALWAYS have a cold at this time of year. In fact I've been snuffly on and off since December. I am alone? Sadly I already work from home so would continue to do so!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I ALWAYS have a cold at this time of year. In fact I've been snuffly on and off since December. I am alone? Sadly I already work from home so would continue to do so!

I am guessing that you are a salad and vegetable dodger :wink:

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
It seems that when the UK moves to the next phase of this virus outbreak, people will be told to self-isolate for even a minor cough or cold.

Is it just me or does this seem totally over the top and unnecessary. I could understand that if you had flu like symptoms with a cough that you should isolate, but what if you have a smokers cough, self-isolation. Something gets caught in your throat, cough - self-isolation.

If you fancy a couple of weeks off work, this will be an open invitation, "Hi Boss, I coughed this morning so given the Governments instructions I won't be in for a couple of weeks, bye"

I can't see this being adhered to by many people, who will still get out and about, particularly those who would receive no sick pay, but still feel well enough to work.

It does seem bizarre when currently we are letting in without restrictions flights from locked down areas of Italy. Talk about one extreme to the other.

I can’t help feeling that there is a reason for letting those flights in and perhaps they aren’t as keen as they say to avoid the spread of the virus.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
9348A990-62BC-47BC-9A96-797F0D6EAF3F.jpeg

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
We have a company wide “log in from home” test tonight to see how the systems cope.

Yeah we have done a few of our bigger clients. Good luck with that :D

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
Amazed to speak to colleagues today who think that Euro 2020 will go ahead. No chance imo.

Crazy that NEW gigs/events in the summer are being advertised too - more in hope than expectation, I guess.

(I predict the Euros will be put back 12 months, btw)

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Researchers are paying 3.5k to folks who are happy to be infected with it and spend two weeks in quarantine to help develop a vaccine.
This would be a good opportunity for the most concerned on here to help out, isolate with medical supervision while the world burns outside and earn some smash at the same time.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Researchers are paying 3.5k to folks who are happy to be infected with it and spend two weeks in quarantine to help develop a vaccine.
This would be a good opportunity for the most concerned on here to help out, isolate with medical supervision while the world burns outside and earn some smash at the same time.

The “Just the flu/sniffles” gang on here will be queuing up I would think.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Bad news ...heard that John Travolta was admitted to hospital re Covid-19 over the weekend...good news it was confirmed as only Saturday Night Fever....and doctors have assured everyone that he is Staying Alive.......diagnosed because he has the chills that were multiplying

Apols if fixtures and groans

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Can you accept payment in loo rolls and antic bac soap rather than cash? Asking for a friend

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The “Just the flu/sniffles” gang on here will be queuing up I would think.

They inject you with the mild strain of the virus so yeah, it would feel like a light flu. Achy limbs, sore balls, backache but ultimately, nought to lose sleep over.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
It does seem bizarre when currently we are letting in without restrictions flights from locked down areas of Italy. Talk about one extreme to the other.

I can’t help feeling that there is a reason for letting those flights in and perhaps they aren’t as keen as they say to avoid the spread of the virus.

Well, look at it this way. We have a highly infectious disease that selectively kills the old and infirm, as well as having a bit of a penchant for smokers and the obese. Essentially people who no longer contribute to the economy, but are an increasing burden on our nation’s financial resources (or are likely to become a burden on the likes of the NHS in the future).

This is quite a macabre way of looking at the situation, but it’s entirely plausible that a short spate of deaths of people who fall into these brackets would be economically beneficial in the long-term. Less strain on the NHS. Significant relief to the housing crisis. An injection of wealth into the younger generations in the form of inheritance money.

I’m not really one for conspiracy theories, but do we think that no one at the treasury will have done the maths and said “actually guys, this might not be such a bad thing after all”...

Jackthelad

Mar 31, 2010
Well, look at it this way. We have a highly infectious disease that selectively kills the old and infirm, as well as having a bit of a penchant for smokers and the obese. Essentially people who no longer contribute to the economy, but are an increasing burden on our nation’s financial resources (or are likely to become a burden on the likes of the NHS in the future).

This is quite a macabre way of looking at the situation, but it’s entirely plausible that a short spate of deaths of people who fall into these brackets would be economically beneficial in the long-term. Less strain on the NHS. Significant relief to the housing crisis. An injection of wealth into the younger generations in the form of inheritance money.

I’m not really one for conspiracy theories, but do we think that no one at the treasury will have done the maths and said “actually guys, this might not be such a bad thing after all”...

There is a large section of Conservative voters who would actually support that, the Daily Mail readers would absolutely love it.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Well, let me clarify. I wasn’t being entirely serious about BJ. I don’t actually think we should “take it on the chin”. Measures need to be taken and support for NHS should be ramped up. I also believe people should be educated and encourage on matters of hygiene.

My Johnson post has let me down to be fair but I do wish people would read posts properly. My take on the whole matter is; Be prepared, follow sound advice, but don’t panic. It’s coming, it’s here , we can limit it but we can’t stop it so stop catastrophising and take practical steps to minimise the impact.
Not stripping Asda if it’s bog roll would be a good start.

It hasn't let you down, blind tribalism let's people down.

There's good and bad in people of all political parties. And something like this epedemic out of nowhere has nothing to do with usual partisan political thinking, it's neither right wing or left, leave or remain.

You'd assume if Corbyn was PM the advice and decisions would be same/similar. Still think we're not doing enough to curtail it, but agree getting on with it, but also being sensible is the only way forward.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It hasn't let you down, blind tribalism let's people down.

There's good and bad in people of all political parties. And something like this epedemic out of nowhere has nothing to do with usual partisan political thinking, it's neither right wing or left, leave or remain.

You'd assume if Corbyn was PM the advice and decisions would be same/similar.

If Corbyn was PM we’d all be in communal quarantine making preserves and discussing butter :)

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
You're guessing wrong. I love salad and go several days a week without meat.

Good to see you back - I may have imagined it but you've been away for a while... right?

I too only eat meat around twice a week.

I also imbue healing potions... indeed, as Salad once quipped... Drink the elixir... :rock:

This virus can try and take me, if it thinks it's hard enough.

No bog roll stockpile, not here, lofty heights and flowery prose, in the citadel of the window tear.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here