Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I believe I have “spoken up” for those who are vulnerable to the worst effects of the virus when I said “vulnerable people should be given priority”.

I don’t agree with the way the Coronavirus has been handled by the government and the media. Just as I don’t agree with the way Brexit has been handled by the government and media.

In both cases I have read and heard opinions and facts from both sides and made my mind up based on the scenarios put forward that I think are most likely to transpire.

I’m not sure how to respond to the “blaming the Tories (sic)” aspect of your post.

Can't see my point huh?

Brexit - PEOPLE WILL DIE! :angry: (They didn't and weren't going to)
Coronavirus - People will die :shrug: (They are, in ever larger numbers)

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Can't see my point huh?

I never claimed people will die as a result of our leaving the EU.
I have never shrugged at deaths caused by the virus. I have stated an opinion that the handling of the potential pandemic has caused more harm than good.

I do wish you would read posts properly rather than zooming in on certain aspects that clash with your political agenda.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Happy to be corrected by those with more knowledge.

The latest figures I can see are for Italy are.

Known deaths: 233
Known recoveries: 589
Total population with known outcome:822
Known current case mortality rate is 233/822 x 100 = 28.3%

For those quoting 4% I believe that figure includes people with no known outcome. They may die or they may survive.

I can understand why governments don't want to highlight the 28% figure.

you ignored the ~5000 other active cases. mortality count uses all incidences as the denominator.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Self isolation has been a godsend to me. So much tutoring and sports stuff going on though the kids who can't go to school for 14 days after returning from a difficult country just playdate all the kids in their class still, completely defeating the point. And well if I then as tutor/coach pass it on to my school nurse fiancé it would be bit of a disaster I suppose.

HK totally f'ed though friends their loving the quiet bars and restaurants. Thailand and Philippines 'apparently' have next to no cases too so am expecting it to either work and disappear or else completely explode.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Can't see my point huh?

No one said "PEOPLE WILL DIE!" because of Brexit.

They said that with a 'no deal' Brexit, then drugs and isotope import would be severely impacted - which would cost lives.

Of course, we never had a 'no deal' Brexit in the end.

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
you ignored the ~5000 other active cases. mortality count uses all incidences as the denominator.

There is a difference between mortality rate and case mortality rate. They are two different things.

The 5000 other active cases have no known outcome. How can they possibly be included in any mortality / case mortality rate?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

They said that with a 'no deal' Brexit, then drugs and isotope import would be severely impacted - which would cost lives.

Not to be pedantic, but we may well have a 'no deal' Brexit still, because 4 years on, there is still no idea of what Brexit we will get :shrug:

But you are correct on your main point because, as I pointed out earlier [MENTION=18559]dingodan[/MENTION] does seem to struggle between what actually happened and his dreams of what happened.

Anyway, I thought this thread was about Coronavirus - who bought up the B word..............Oh

Last edited:

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011

No, it was claimed that Brexit, deal or no deal, will kill people. On here, in the media, but I'm not surprised that is all forgotten now.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
No, it was claimed that Brexit, deal or no deal, will kill people. On here, in the media, but I'm not surprised that is all forgotten now.
Well I didn't see that. It was always a point about 'no deal' Brexit costing lives.

But.... I don't read every post...

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Coronavirus / Covid-19

There really does need to be a sense of proportion here.

We have had just 3 cases in West Sussex and they were were all related to that Surrey person.

None in East Sussex.

7 in Brighton and Hove - all related to Steve Walsh outbreak a few weeks ago.

It’s not exactly rampant in these parts is it.

Oh and there have been none in Wolverhampton yet either.

But how do you know any of this as fact?

What tests are being carried out? Where? Eg, I know people first hand who have arrived in Brighton from Asia recently. They were not quarantined or tested at all.

I’m not saying I disagree with you necessarily but there’s a lot of big assumptions made on both sides. The truth is no one here really knows the full extent of the current situation.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Can't see my point huh?

Whilst I get the gist of your post Brexit hasn't happened yet and won't until the end of this year.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
There is a difference between mortality rate and case mortality rate. They are two different things.

The 5000 other active cases have no known outcome. How can they possibly be included in any mortality / case mortality rate?

how can they not, they are the cases of infection.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

UK: 1 fully recovered in Brighton and 2 deaths.
Case mortality rate of 66.6%. No use to no ****.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here