Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I believe that behind the scenes, the Government are working feverishly on Coronavirus. The results so far ?

'It's worldwide, nothing to do with us'
'It's the lack of investment in the NHS over the last 10 years that's to blame ................. what was that ?'
'Of course the Brexit negotiations would have been a huge success if not for Coronavirus'
'No Dom, I can't get anyone else pregnant, we've used that one'

As you can see, there's still work to do, as all of these have too many words for their target audience ???

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
I'd imagine it's a great time to be a pandemic.

Government telling everybody to wash their hands for 20 seconds but then everybody swipes their fingers across their mobile phones whilst eating their sandwiches.

I assume it can be found on your phone screen?

Last edited:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I went shopping tonight. Quite literally six packs of bog roll left in the aisle, with little in the way of tinned baked beans, tuna and soup left on the shelves.

It’s panic, it’s madness, it’s hysteria. And yet I do believe we may be about to enter a phase which is absolutely unprecedented in human history. Not in terms of death toll, the rapid transmission of information and medical sophistication will see to that.

But it’s those very things that are likely to lead us down the path of a social and economic stall; with life as we know it simply grinding to a halt for a period of weeks or months. Spanish flu apparently killed around 50 million people, and God forbid this virus will get absolutely nowhere near that. But in terms of planet-wide disruption to every day societal function this must be up there.

Schools closed. Businesses shut. Major events, such as the Olympics and the Euros almost certainly cancelled. Major cities in absolute lockdown.

This is a genuine question - have we EVER seen anything like it as a species?

I can't imagine that we have ever seen anything like it in the last 300,000 years. Having no bog roll, tinned baked beans, tuna and soup on the supermarket shelves is certainly more significant and will have far wider reaching implications than

The Cognitive Revolution (c. 70,000 BCE, when Sapiens evolved imagination)
The Agricultural Revolution (c. 10,000 BCE, the development of agriculture)
The unification of humankind (the gradual consolidation of human political organisations towards one global empire)
The Scientific Revolution (c. 1500 CE, the emergence of objective science)

:lolol:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Government telling everybody to wash their hands for 20 seconds but then everybody swipes their fingers across their mobile phones whilst eating their sandwiches.

Almost certainly a mobile phone screen can be an absolute smorgasbord of bacteria,coliforms, and virus's. I clean mine with methylated spirit periodically but that might not get them all.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Of course, yes, but in most cases the phone owner is the only one that touches their phone screen.

But that's not to say that you didn't put it on your phone screen yourself, from touching another object, and then picked it up again later.

For example, yesterday I went down the local coffee shop for a meeting. I touched at least the following...

- Exterior door handle on my way in.
- Interior door handle to close the door on my way in.
- The chair I sat on.
- The table I sat at.
- The board my tea came on.
- The timer that told me my tea was brewed.
- The teapot my tea was in.
- The mini milk bottle with my tea.
- The teaspoon I stirred my tea with.
- The teacup I drank from.
- All of the above again with my second pot of tea.
- The interior door handle on my way out, after others had come and gone.
- The exterior door handle to close the door on my way out, after others had come and gone.

At any point I could have touched something with the virus on, and then transferred it to my phone, laptop, wallet or payment card subsequently. The coffee shop staff are handing items to and from customers the whole time, and don't wash their hands after each and every single interaction - it's pretty impractical for them to do so.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Not sure that this is a good idea baring in mind what some of Portsmouth finest did a few years back. A couple of herberts beat up a guy because they thought he was a paedophile ... when in fact he was a paediatrician .....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ok, lets just isolate Portsmouth and leave them to it.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Of course, yes, but in most cases the phone owner is the only one that touches their phone screen.

But that's not to say that you didn't put it on your phone screen yourself, from touching another object, and then picked it up again later.

For example, yesterday I went down the local coffee shop for a meeting. I touched at least the following...

- The chair I sat on.
- The table I sat at.
- The waitresses arse who brought me my tea. "Thanks sweetcheeks"
- The exterior door handle to close the door on my way out, after others had come and gone.

At any point I could have touched something with the virus on, and then transferred it to my phone, laptop, wallet or payment card subsequently. The coffee shop staff are handing items to and from customers the whole time, and don't wash their hands after each and every single interaction - it's pretty impractical for them to do so.

Despicable. You deserve corona.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

- The chair I sat on.
- The table I sat at.

Must have been a good one to be a '2 Teapot' meeting.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Are you worried about getting Coronavirus ?
Given that the college in Brighton where our students go has just emailed to say that 2 students are now in isolation - yes.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Why are people unable to read and understand the government health advice? Regarding Italy, everyone I have spoken to is under the impression that the advice is now to self isolate if you return from Italy. This is only the case if you return from one of the small towns in lockdown , or if you have symptoms. However, people seem to read the advice and then misinterpret it as a requirement to self-isolate if you return from anywhere in Italy regardless of symptoms.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

- The chair I sat on.
- The table I sat at.

You are forgetting that you will have touched your face multiple times during the course of your stay, that would be the prime method of transmission.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
You are forgetting that you will have touched your face multiple times during the course of your stay, that would be the prime method of transmission.

I'm not forgetting that at all. I did forgot to type it in that reply though!

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The first pot was for the meeting, the second pot was for when the meeting had finished and I needed to post long wordy responses to Coronavirus threads on here.

After 2 pots, did you use the shop's toilet as well?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
After 2 pots, did you use the shop's toilet as well?

No. Annoyingly I needed to go when the second pot arrived. It was then I found out the loo was closed due to a water leak issue. My second pot was somewhat rushed.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

- The chair I sat on.
- The table I sat at.

I was just thinking about the 1,000's of football fans who will be travelling around the country this week end, who are not the most renowned people for cleanliness, especially after a few pints.

Arrive at railway station and use touch screen to collect or purchase tickets or arrive at service station and use touch screen at KFC/McD to order food
Travel in a warm stuffy train carriage or coach for hours on end
Visit numerous pubs before the game and using the ground concourses to food and drink.
Spend 90+ minutes in close proximity of many other people.
Travel in packed buses/trains after the game for a period of up to an hour in some cases.

And then of course there are those at risk from spittle coming out of Zaha's mouth

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I was just thinking about the 1,000's of football fans who will be travelling around the country this week end, who are not the most renowned people for cleanliness, especially after a few pints.

Arrive at railway station and use touch screen to collect or purchase tickets or arrive at service station and use touch screen at KFC/McD to order food
Travel in a warm stuffy train carriage or coach for hours on end
Visit numerous pubs before the game and using the ground concourses to food and drink.
Spend 90+ minutes in close proximity of many other people.
Travel in packed buses/trains after the game for a period of up to an hour in some cases.

And then of course there are those at risk from spittle coming out of Zaha's mouth

Yep - there's nothing that can be done to stop this spreading, it's just the pace of the spread that we want to slow down as much as possible, in order to try and smooth the demand on the NHS(and equivalents in other countries.

The below video is an interesting watch (or listen - you don't actually need to watch) from an expert in pandemics. In short he is opposed to what China has done (locking up c60m people) because this WILL spread and there's nothing we can do about that - essentially the "containment" phase is a fruitless one. (From a virology perspective he may well be correct, but I'm not sure he was considering the time bought for authorities and health services to plan and prepare for the inevitable.)

The good news is he shares the belief of many on here (including me) that it is likely many, many more people have had it and either had very mild symptoms or none at all and, as such, the mortality rate will end up being a lot lower than that currently stated. I imagine at least one person using NSC right now has the virus and has no idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhYcbo7rqEQ

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here