Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Madrid Plane Crash - 150 Dead

house your seagull

Train à Grande Vitesse
Jul 7, 2004
Manchester
my sis used to be cabin crew - they turn the lights out and all that at take off so the body is aclimatised to it's surroundings in case of a crash ... the air con goes off because it saps too much power - all power has to go into the engines until you start floating in the air and physics and that.

madrid has had it's fair share of tragedy in the last 5 years, sad day.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
American 'news' really is just gossip. The presenters are just speculating on what might have happened! Unbelievable considering the nature of the story.

What I don't quite get is why an engine fire would cause the plane to veer off to the side of the runway. I can see it causing many problems, but just can't imagine that being one of them.

I'm no scientist but if one engine fails (or is shut down due to a fire) at full throttle I imagine the thrust from the other side could result in sending the plane off at an angle?

Elder for England

Jan 30, 2008
Watching the news, the pilot tried one take off and there seemed to be a fault, he tried a second attempt to take off. Why if there was a fault would he continue trying to take off?

Watching the news, the pilot tried one take off and there seemed to be a fault, he tried a second attempt to take off. Why if there was a fault would he continue trying to take off?

Second take off attempt was 45 minutes after the first I believe. They returned to the terminal/apron after the fault was discovered.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

Depends what type of fault was "detected". There are a list of critical faults where the pilot is very much not allowed to take off.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007

Because he thought he was doing the right thing? It seems unlikely he deliberately killed himself and 150 people.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I was on a Flybe flight from Southampton where we had to abort the take off, it was pretty scary but what struck me the most was that when the captain made an annoucement afterwards that one of the engines had not been able to reach full power, his previously stiff upper lip British pilot voice had turned to one that sounded like he was about to cry. I now realise how lucky we were not to potentially have gone the way of this Spanair flight. We were lucky the pilot made his decison before V point or whatever it's called. I've got 4 flights over the next month and two of them are with a Spanish domestic carrier. Great.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I'm flying from Barcelona to Ibiza after the England game in 2 weeks time, am i worried? Nope!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here