Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Madrid Plane Crash - 150 Dead

Zesh Rehman

Sep 6, 2006
Oxford
And why are we told to move our trays to the upright position on takeoff and landing ? As if THATS going to make any cuffing difference.

Another good point! And when i last flew i was made to take my headphones out during take off and landing, what exactly are they going to do!!!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Crashed on it's second take-off attempt? Is that usual to try again?

Plane is reported to of had a mechanical problem so went back to be fixed, place was sent back out to take off and here we are :nono:

Huzzah, I have finally found some decent statistics.

The Department for Transport publication Transport Trends.
Department for Transport - Transport trends: current edition

In 2005, fatalities per billion passenger kilometres.
By air: 0.0
By car: 2.6
By van: 0.7
By bus or coach: 0.2
By rail: 0.1
and, just for you danger merchants out there...
By motorcycle: 107.0
On foot: 35.5
By pedal bike: 32.0

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Crashed on it's second take-off attempt? Is that usual to try again?

I'd have thought so. Depends what the problem was, surely.

If your car stalls, you don't just abandon it, do you? (Not that I'm saying the plane stalled, just the only example that rushed into my head!)

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Another good point! And when i last flew i was made to take my headphones out during take off and landing, what exactly are they going to do!!!
To get a definitive answer to the above statement one must ask the passengers onboard the 777 BA flight that crashed at LHR, who if had kept their headphones on wouldnt have clearly heard the crews instructions on vacating the plane! As you know they all got off!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
To get a definitive answer to the above statement one must ask the passengers onboard the 777 BA flight that crashed at LHR, who if had kept their headphones on wouldnt have clearly heard the crews instructions on vacating the plane! As you know they all got off!

Because of course, you'd have no idea you'd just been in a plane crash if you still had your headphones on.

Zesh Rehman

Sep 6, 2006
Oxford

Yeh but you can here over headphones, and the passenger would have probably noticed the huge bang when the plane crashed. Unless they were already dead and had no feeling.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Because of course, many of those passengers on that flight reporting initialy they wernt aware that the plane had crashed were bull shiting!

if you are not aware that the huge tube of metal you are flying in at great speed has smashed inro the ground with 200 screaming pasengers on board then frankly you are a welcome subtraction from the gene pool.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Even then, i think they would notice everyone else getting off the plane and the doors being open etc.
Of course they would however it's been known when exiting an a/c under duress many people have become entangled in the wires ect and indeed holding others up too! My g/f is ex crew with Virgin:thumbsup:

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Of course they would however it's been known when exiting an a/c under duress many people have become entangled in the wires ect and indeed holding others up too! My g/f is ex crew with Virgin:thumbsup:

Entangled in a set of headphone wires? What was the plane full of, cats?

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
if you are not aware that the huge tube of metal you are flying in at great speed has smashed inro the ground with 200 screaming pasengers on board then frankly you are a welcome subtraction from the gene pool.
If you read the AAIB report in the incedent i was refering to you would be aware that in fact no one screamed and in fact all was pretty calm. Anyway read the bit in one of my other comments about being snared in the wires whilst exiting.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
If you read the AAIB report in the incedent i was refering to you would be aware that in fact no one screamed and in fact all was pretty calm. Anyway read the bit in one of my other comments about being snared in the wires whilst exiting.

ah, you see they were calm because they were listening to their headphones. If it wern't for them there would have been mass panic and many deaths.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
"Help. I can't get off this burning aircraft. I'm trapped by my headphone wires".

Could happen.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Well done you just have and your comment confirms that if i suggested non swimmers should wear arm bands you would challenge it well done:thumbsup:

Not really the same as I doubt anyone on the plane had the ability to fly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here