Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Madeleine McCann...

Fozzyboy

Jul 5, 2011
Worthing
The family had twins and another child. If the police & social workers thought the parents had killed her, the other children would have been removed from their care.
The German was in Portugal at the time, is a convicted paedophile, so is a suspect not a scapegoat.

I respect your opinion and as I said, I hope the truth comes out in my lifetime. People are poisoned by mainstream media so believe what they read. This case was a massive cover up (in my opinion) and I have done massive amounts or research to come to my conclusion.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
I respect your opinion and as I said, I hope the truth comes out in my lifetime. People are poisoned by mainstream media so believe what they read. This case was a massive cover up (in my opinion) and I have done massive amounts or research to come to my conclusion.

Out of interest, and this a genuine question not a challenge to your opinion, why do you think they would cover this up? That the parents were wealthy doctors would surely be of little interest to the Portuguese or British police forces.

I’ve flip flopped in my own views over the years, and I think it would be crass to start speculating on here now given what may or may not emerge in the coming days, but on balance I now believe that the parents were guilty of negligence in leaving their children alone in a foreign hotel suite and nothing more.

That’s not to make light of that by the way. I wouldn’t dream of doing that with my kids, and the perfect parent I am not. I think in part due to the case of Madeleine McCann, my wife won’t even consider booking ours into a kids club when we go abroad. I’m on board with that personally, in normal times I spend so much time away from the kids the point of going on holiday is to spend time with them - as much of a pain in the arse they can be, it was our idea to have them, not theirs.

So yeah, my gut feeling is that it was píss poor parenting, not murder / manslaughter. We may find out definitively soon enough.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
A quick reminder to all: everyone is entirely entitled to hold their own opinion on this case (or indeed any others), but please be careful with what you post. In particular, remember that NSC is a publication with a very wide readership. It’s not the same as having a private chat with a mate down the pub. Posting on here is dangerously close to the line of publishing, if not over that line. Libel someone and you risk Bozza potentially getting a world of pain, to say nothing of potentially finding yourself defending a defamation suit.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
The mods are all over anything even vaguely close to liable like flies on shit. But they take a such a soft line on racism and posts with racist and xenophobic undertones. :shrug:

Not saying they are wrong to be all over the libel stuff. But it would be nice to see them approach other areas with the same speed and zest.

Speaking personally, the key word in your criticism is ‘undertones’. There is a big difference between, say, ‘All lives matter’ (a phrase I know grinds your gears) and, for example, ‘X murdered Y’ (when X has not been convicted of anything).

The former is used both by racists and non-racists, and is thus open to interpretation; the latter is clear, unless the poster has Court-ready evidence to the contrary (and even then, why should NSC take the risk of testing the robustness of the evidence?), it’s libel.

Thus, to remove ‘all lives matter’, for example, I have to evaluate the mens rea of the poster; whereas with ‘x murdered y’, I simply have to be able to read.

Report a racist equivalent to ‘x murdered y’, where I don’t have to interpret the words posted, relying instead on simply reading them, and I’ll be all over it like a rash.

I suspect that you’ll disagree with the above, which is your right. I’ve stated my position - which is mine :shrug:

On topic: Maddy’s disappearance and, imo, likely murder is a tragedy. I hope the police find and charge the perpetrator(s) soon.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
The mods are all over anything even vaguely close to liable like flies on shit. But they take a such a soft line on racism and posts with racist and xenophobic undertones. :shrug:

Not saying they are wrong to be all over the libel stuff. But it would be nice to see them approach other areas with the same speed and zest.

Your view of what is, or isn't racism in of no consequence. No doubt the mods err on the side of caution when necessary. Stop bleating like a child.

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea

I think the Mcann's advisor or spokesman (are we allowed to say that word now, lol) is an Albion fan and so probably not unlikely that he reads this forum

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I think the Mcann's advisor or spokesman (are we allowed to say that word now, lol) is an Albion fan and so probably not unlikely that he reads this forum

You say that like they're getting special treatment. They're not. Anything we consider likely to be libellous on this site will be removed and the poster of it warned.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Conspiracy theories absolutely rely on mass collusion and cooperation between a host of actors/participants.

Everyday life and the daily evidence before our eyes shows us that the idea of conspiracy theory is flawed from the point of conception; we (individuals, organisations and governments) just aren't that ****ing clever. Conspiracy theory is great for Hollywood and the Internet.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Some people really shouldn't be let out on the internet on their own.

A tragedy caused to a large extent by negligence.

The witch hunt on the parents is disgusting.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I've always struggled with the whole thing.

The McCanns left their kids in an unlocked room with access from a public street - as a parent I would never have done that. They then shamelessly used the media as a means to try and find out what happened.

Don't get me wrong, this is a tragic case of the loss of an innocent little girl but the way the McCanns approached it left them wide open to criticism. Its a price they provbably thought worth paying but many of us parents out there will be shaking our heads as to how they could've been so irresponsible and therefore struggle to empathise.

The press have just driven me nuts about the whole thing. Why is this case more important than the thousands of other small children who go missing every year? That is highly selective reporting at best, unfair at worst.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I get the sense that this sad sorry situation is heading inexorably towards its denouement and that a lot of the conspiracy tosh it has promoted will be revealed for the ugly, idle and inexcusable speculation it is.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Conspiracy theories absolutely rely on mass collusion and cooperation between a host of actors/participants.

Everyday life and the daily evidence before our eyes shows us that the idea of conspiracy theory is flawed from the point of conception; we (individuals, organisations and governments) just aren't that ****ing clever. Conspiracy theory is great for Hollywood and the Internet.

If that were really true (or believable) then it would be 100% certain that a conspiracy could/would be got away with. There would be zero chance of anyone getting caught, because nobody would ever believe it because it doesn't happen and is never true.

That would make conspiring a much more attractive proposition, and in turn, would make it much more likely to occur, wouldn't it?

(my point has nothing to do with this thread, I am not saying I think there is a conspiracy here, I have no idea).

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

You know nothing, like everyone else. All that matters is what is in the police files. The actual evidence. Not the conjecture the media reports, not the compelling conspiracy videos, not what you read on a scuzzy little blog somewhere when you should have been in bed ages ago.

The reason I don't have an opinion is because I never worked on the case or had access to its files. So that's it. What I do know is it was a terrible tragedy, and that had the McCanns been working class or people of colour it would never have been half the debate it still now.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I've always struggled with the whole thing.

The McCanns left their kids in an unlocked room with access from a public street - as a parent I would never have done that. They then shamelessly used the media as a means to try and find out what happened.

Don't get me wrong, this is a tragic case of the loss of an innocent little girl but the way the McCanns approached it left them wide open to criticism. Its a price they provbably thought worth paying but many of us parents out there will be shaking our heads as to how they could've been so irresponsible and therefore struggle to empathise.

The press have just driven me nuts about the whole thing. Why is this case more important than the thousands of other small children who go missing every year? That is highly selective reporting at best, unfair at worst.

I absolutely totally agree that I would never have left my own children in the situation that they left Madeleine. Their loss is obviously horrific, made worse by years of not knowing, but i would see it as “contributory negligence”.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex

stop whining like a girl

totally different things for the mods

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here