Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] M.O.T.D.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Good to see Jonathan Pearce giving us the usual credit.

God, we should have killed the game in the last minute.

Tony Le Mesmer

Jul 5, 2003
South Wales
What a load of rubbish. First game on I thought the analysis would be decent.
No mention of VAR or the sending off, which ultimately changed the course of the game.
We barely got a mention.

Thank God for Sky coverage.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
No mention of VAR or the sending off, which ultimately changed the course of the game.
We barely got a mention.

Here's what they would have said. VAR decision decision was very fortunate for Ryan as not that bad a challenge. No argument about Mooy. Yellow was stupid and whilst floppy hair **** made the most of it he clearly clipped his ankle. And didn't show the Montoya challenge that should have seen him sent off.

For me the biggest sin was the dreadful hoof up the field with 30 seconds left on the clock.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I'd like to think we were first up because it was 2 sides that like to play football, it was a good game.

Which is mor than cAn be said for a majority. Of PL fixtures.

Haven't and won't watch for a while bacause having, post match, walked the hound, supped a pint, shot the breeze etc, I don't want to re ruin ruin the weekend !

MOTD is average at best. Tabloid level sucker-soccer TV. The kids don't watch it!

SeagullCrow

May 9, 2008
We barely got a mention.

Their discussion of us amounted to 11 words (literally - I counted them) in the post-match analysis, despite us being first up on the programme. Baffling.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Brighton first up on MOTD ....

OMG, must be some mistake! OK, get it over with quickly - don't mention them - quickly on to the next (proper PL) match. VAR? Oh, was there a VAR controversy? Oh well, never mind, there's some much more interesting ones in other matches not involving Brighton. Let's move on, shall we Gary?

Now, Everton vs. West Ham (breathes a great sigh of relief).

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
For me the biggest sin was the dreadful hoof up the field with 30 seconds left on the clock.

While I agree that the desperation of the last few minutes gave away the last goal... its really hard to be angry about it. Playing one man less for 60 minutes, 30 seconds to go, having a point in the bag... Fairly sure 99% of all players and teams would just hoof the ball at that point.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
There is a certain joy to be had in watching Dyche fuming about VAR when he's spent the last five years whining about every single refereeing decision ever made ever. Ever.

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK
We barely got a mention.

I had to avoid the result until MotD, and turning on the TV felt that strange mixture of sickening fear and sickening excitement, from "Oh God, why are we on first, what have we done now?" to images of a 6-0 to us scoreline flashing up in my brain.

Still don't know why we were on first. Was there a losers raffle in the production offices yesterday afternoon?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I think we were on first simply because it was an entertaining open game and had a few goals/moments . . .and nicely clears the schedules from both teams for the rest of the season to squeeze a bit more top 6 w@nk off into the program

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I had to avoid the result until MotD, and turning on the TV felt that strange mixture of sickening fear and sickening excitement, from "Oh God, why are we on first, what have we done now?" to images of a 6-0 to us scoreline flashing up in my brain.

Still don't know why we were on first. Was there a losers raffle in the production offices yesterday afternoon?
They seem to like Villa. Had their game at Norwich inexplicably ahead of our thumping of Spurs, which was probably the biggest football story of that weekend.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
There is a certain joy to be had in watching Dyche fuming about VAR when he's spent the last five years whining about every single refereeing decision ever made ever. Ever.

Agreed. I bet the Burnely fans were choking on their mild in the Phil Mitchell Arms last night.

Attachments

• _101103259_royaldyche1.jpg
    _101103259_royaldyche1.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 165

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
There is no way that was ‘live’ commentary, dubbed afterwards for Pearce’s benefit.

It has been for years, if you ever hear “Ooh that yellow could prove costly later in this game” you know that player gets sent off, or “United really need to make this possession count now” you know a goal is on its way.

MOTD, treating people like morons since the 1960s.

Tony Le Mesmer

Jul 5, 2003
South Wales
It has been for years, if you ever hear “Ooh that yellow could prove costly later in this game” you know that player gets sent off, or “United really need to make this possession count now” you know a goal is on its way.

MOTD, treating people like morons since the 1960s.
It is so cringeable now. I look out for this, obviously knowing the outcome and incidents of games - whilst watching it and it's happebs pretty much all the time.

With the equal gender rights to commentators endorsed by the BBC and the lack of actual highlights, I've started to kick MOTD into touch. Just wished it was more like it used to be back in the 80's!

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Joyful indeed. It was somehow inevitable he'd been on about it. And his excuse was that it wasn't intentional. There have been no end of controversial VAR decisions this w/e, the Deulofeu one especially, but Wood clipping the heels of Evans wasn't one of them.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I'm sorry there was never a "Golden Age", it's like all British institutions a bit shit unless you can find a way to find something better.

Does anyone remember Jimmy Hill ?

As for the overdubbed commentary, we used to stick around after televised games at the Goldstone to watch the player interviews that were often done in front of the dug out.

Invariably you would see Motson re-recording his **** ups with a lip mike. Such is television.

In one of my first jobs I "re-potted" the balls Steve Davis had missed on trick shots. That involved me potting them from a foot with the cue out of shot.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here