Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lynch transfer deal done £500,000 [Merged]

bardo

Jul 6, 2004
Seaford
And now the Mirror doubles the stakes .....

SEAGULLS STRUGGLE TO KEEP £1M JOEL
BOTH Stoke and West Bromwich want Brighton's £1million-rated teenaged defender Joel Lynch but manager Dean Wilkins insists he will not be sold cheaply.

Lynch, 18, has alerted bigger clubs with his form since being switched by Wilkins from left-back to the centre of defence.

Wilkins (above) fears Brighton might also be forced to cash-in leading scorer Jake Robinson and striker Dean Cox in January's transfer window.

"We have a number of young players and the last thing we want to do is lose any of them next month," said Wilkins.

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK
Blimey, we might get promoted this season - if the offers are still there, then we have an alternative to offer players who may otherwise want to go. Surely?

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
London Irish said:
Yep, 2,000 x £20 = £40,000 per game

23 x £40,000 = just under a million.

The difference over a season between selling probably 2 or 3 of our young players.

The answer of not selling our young players is in the hands of Brighton supporters, GO TO WITHDEAN!

Well said, London Irish.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
We can ill afford (playing wise) to lose Lynch at the moment with Butters and Hinsh injury prone, but alas the attendances are not generating enough cash, so someone has to go.

It makes you quite sick, when the Leicester's, Newcastle's and Chelsea's overspend for years and then get saved by a rich consortium. :nono:

Seagullible

Super Keeper
Jul 7, 2003
Tea room, The Office, Slough
bardo said:
And now the Mirror doubles the stakes .....

SEAGULLS STRUGGLE TO KEEP £1M JOEL
BOTH Stoke and West Bromwich want Brighton's £1million-rated teenaged defender Joel Lynch but manager Dean Wilkins insists he will not be sold cheaply.

Lynch, 18, has alerted bigger clubs with his form since being switched by Wilkins from left-back to the centre of defence.

Wilkins (above) fears Brighton might also be forced to cash-in leading scorer Jake Robinson and striker Dean Cox in January's transfer window.

"We have a number of young players and the last thing we want to do is lose any of them next month," said Wilkins.

I love the way they make things up. At no point in the quote from Wilkins anything to say he has fears about losing anyone and doesn't even mention Jakey. It's all paper bollox

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I guage the accuracy of the Mirror report on the fact that the writer doesn't even know what position Cox plays.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
London Irish said:

The difference over a season between selling probably 2 or 3 of our young players.

The answer of not selling our young players is in the hands of Brighton supporters, GO TO WITHDEAN!
Very good point, well made. The loudest complainers about Dick Knight will often also be the loudest complainers about Withdean who don't go there.

But then again, it's cold, ooh those stewards etc etc. :nono: :shootself

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
To be fair I wouldn't mind selling Lynch for a million as long as we were gauranteed to keep Cox, Robinson and Revell.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
dwayne said:
To be fair I wouldn't mind selling Lynch for a million as long as we were gauranteed to keep Cox, Robinson and Revell.
I agree with you. Lynch appears to be just one in a long production line of talent that we seem to be nurturing. And all the while we can't fill Withdean, this seems to be the only way to make ends meet.

Albion will be a Crewe-esque type of club until we get a stadium that encourages people to go to watch. You can't blame the fans for not turning up at Withdean. We've sold the place out season after season until McGhee turned up with his dull (but for a while, effective) brand of football and now we're sick of it.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
London Irish said:
That said, if we had to sell one of our youngsters this year to meet our debt obligations, and hence protecting all the others from being sold, Lynch is the one I would least mind losing, our youth system is churning out defenders but not midfielders like Cox or strikers like Robinson.
If we had to sell someone I would sell Henderson if possible. Good 'keeper undoubtedly, but we would still have Kuipers as well as two good young keepers of our own, I don't think we'd miss him really.

London Irish said:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Kinky Gerbils said:
A million is about right, I think this is a realistic amount from WBA since they are going to lose Davis in Jan.
They would still have Perry and McShane though. That said, I'd definitely take a million. :eek:

Last edited:

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Simster said:
IWe've sold the place out season after season until McGhee turned up with his dull (but for a while, effective) brand of football and now we're sick of it.

09/12/06 Brighton V Cheltenham, under Wilkins' passionate and flair driven side, attendance: 5386

One year earlier 16/12/05, Brighton V Hull, under McGhee's "dull brand of football", attendance: 6929.

Go figure.

:shootself

Last edited:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
jonny.rainbow said:
09/12/06 Brighton V Cheltenham, under Wilkins' passionate and flair driven side, attendance: 5386

One year earlier 16/12/05, Brighton V Hull, under McGhee's "dull brand of football", attendance: 6929.

Go figure.

Good point...but it was in a higher division even tho it was "only" Hull City.

Tight shorts

Dec 29, 2004
Sussex
jonny.rainbow said:

Go figure.

So the fact that we are league one now as opposed to Championship last year has nothing to with it?

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Tight shorts said:
So the fact that we are league one now as opposed to Championship last year has nothing to with it?

I was responding to a point that argued that the quality of football we played under McGhee drove people away and they haven't come back.

This is simply not the case. Attendances went down under Wilkins and he has yet to get people back.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
jonny.rainbow said:
I was responding to a point that argued that the quality of football we played under McGhee drove people away and they haven't come back.

This is simply not the case. Attendances went down under Wilkins and he has yet to get people back.
What doesn't help our plight is the awful away attendances at Withdean. Having said that, 5,150 Brighton fans on Saturday is still pretty pisspoor.

A thought. You don't suppose this apparent apathy is a protest at McGhee's sacking? I am far from convinced of this argument, but it was something someone put to me. Is there anything in it?

Can't be, surely? ???

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
The Large One said:
What doesn't help our plight is the awful away attendances at Withdean. Having said that, 5,150 Brighton fans on Saturday is still pretty pisspoor.

A thought. You don't suppose this apparent apathy is a protest at McGhee's sacking? I am far from convinced of this argument, but it was something someone put to me. Is there anything in it?

Can't be, surely? ???

Well TBH, I know of two people who were non-season ticket withdean regulars up until this season, who told me they weren't going back until there was either some serious investment in the team or a proper manager was brought in.

I think it might not be a 'McGhee protest' but a 'perceived lack of ambition in appointing Wilkins' protest.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
people gave up going at the beginning of the season (and a fair few end of last) when McGhee's football just wasn't worth the money. Since then it has been quite difficult to get the crowds back but I think they are starting to return and once Xmas is out of the way can see 6k+ going week in week out

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
You can exempt Wilkins from the blame for falling attendances.

There are 3 main reasons for the fall - relegation, the high cost of tickets and drip-drip negativity of the Withdean experience.

Crowds will slowly get better if we maintain entertaining football and a steady climb up the table, hopefully we'll end the season with a 6,500 plus crowd getting us into the play-offs.

Not since the days of Zamora has the team been so watchable - Coxy's goal last Tuesday was once of the best I have ever seen live.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here