Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lying about your qualifications...

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
As some of you will know, I work in the university sector.

I have just spoken to en employer of the phone, who has suspicions that one of his/her employees does not have the qualification they claim to have. This employer asked that the institution I work for confirm whether their employee does in fact have the aforemention qualification.

So, have you ever lied about your qualifications to get a job?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I hope you didn't tell them anything over the phone, if at all.

We had a situation like this where a student was getting sponsored to take a course by their employer but they never actually turned up. Couldn't tell the employer anything in the end and lawyers became involved between employee and employer to get any information released.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I hope you didn't tell them anything over the phone, if at all.

No I didn't - I'm far to professional *ahem* to fall for that trick - I just transferred them through to the department responsible for dealing with alkward alumni questions.

In response to my initial question, I wouldn't lie about qualifications because I believe that I would get found out and because it is immoral. I know people that have lied about things though...

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I haven't blatantly lied, but my CV says I have 8 GCSE's, which I do, just the majority of them are grade D ;-P

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
If there was an across the board check on all employees alleged qualifications on their CV's, it would, probably, be on a similar ratio as the number of MP's fiddling their expenses.

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
I also work in the university sector.

We've had cases in the past where the police have discovered people running degree certificate factories, churning out poor facsmiles of our certificates to sell on to people who want false qualifications!

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
I used to all the time when I was younger....only small things...the occassional A Level and extra expiereince where I didnt have it.

My new boss of a job I did years ago asked me for the address of my previous employer who i had been sacked from..of which he didnt know that info...so I gave the company address as my old house......my auntie told me I had mail...i got it and read what he wanted...ie a reference and when into my office I typed one up my self and mailed it right outside.

The next day or so it arrived and he called me into his office...i thought I was in the shi*..he said look whats just arrived....he read my reference which i had typed 48 hours earlier in the office out loud and congratulated me on the best reference he's ever seen...then proceeded to tell me to frame it and put it on my desk.....now thats skill!

Im now qualified and expiereinced in a field I enjoy now and dont lie at all about anything on my cv.

Last edited:

Mar 13, 2008
I have. I couldn't get employed becuase I had no experience and I couldn't get experience becuase no one would employ me. So I had to lie. Only done it once.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
My work asked for copies of said qualifications/certificates. Which was fine coz I didnt lie. Always good to check for provenance FIRST.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
I know of someone who lied, not so much about qualifications but to his bank.

It went something like this, his girlfriend lived up in Rochdale (and no this isn't Glenn Murray) and he wanted to buy a cheap house up there (this was in the early 90's). Now he didn't have a job up in Rochdale, so no Bank would give him a mortgage without a job.

So he lied to the bank that he was moving North with his employer who were also giving a relocation package. Great so far, except that the bank wanted some proof. My mate realising this tipped off a girl who worked in his companies office to look out for the letter. Once intercepted he typed up a suitable reply. The bank approved his mortgage.

The final piece in the jigsaw was to get a job in Rochdale so that he could pay the mortgage. Being the early 90's recession Britain this wasn't so easy for an unqualified person. What my mate did in the intrvening period of moving North, was to work all the hours going. His day job and then working nights in a hotel. He saved up 6 months worh of savings to tie him up North, hoping to get a job in that time.

He did, just. He even didn't tell his GF what he did. She assumed everything was above board.

SirDouglasLoft

Jul 4, 2008
I haven't lied on my CV. Being fluent in German, French, Spanish and Italian is all true.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I've had to take a lot off my CV because although they cannot legally tell you you're too old you can easily be 'too experienced'.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
No I didn't - I'm far to professional *ahem* to fall for that trick - I just transferred them through to the department responsible for dealing with alkward alumni questions.

Why is un advisable to either confirm or deny an Employee's qualification, on the phone, Where the skulduggery in it ?

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Why is un advisable to either confirm or deny an Employee's qualification, on the phone, Where the skulduggery in it ?

I think it may be something to do with data protection - there are certain procedures that have to be gone through. I am not allowed to give out any information about any of our students (past or present).

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
I think it may be something to do with data protection - there are certain procedures that have to be gone through. I am not allowed to give out any information about any of our students (past or present).

Thanks for that.

So if its that difficult to disprove claimed qualifications no wonder employees are trying it on, i assume this goes hand in hand with fake certificates, as one would assume the potential employer would have asked the employee to produce them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here