Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] LWB candidates - Ryan Sessengon

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

Obligation to buy is a bad idea as look how that worked out with Knocky......... Leeds wanted an obligation to buy, were desperate for one, (luckily refused) as it wasn't such a bad idea.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Obligation to buy is a bad idea as look how that worked out with Knocky......... Leeds wanted an obligation to buy, were desperate for one, (luckily refused) as it wasn't such a bad idea.
I thought they wanted an option to buy. The obligation to buy hasn't worked out for Leeds with their other loan signing from last season, has it? - can't get anywhere near the team because he's useless but they're committed to paying £18M for him, even if they are trying to weasel out of it.

Anyway, regardless of whatever deal Leeds wanted with White it doesn't alter facts; option to buy - fine; obligation to buy - plain stupid.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales

Big difference between an obligation to buy (Knocky) and an option to buy (what Leeds wanted). I can only assume Knocky’s deal was down to Fulham’s finances and cash flow.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Pretty sure Fulham had an option to buy - don’t think we’ve ever done an obligation to buy with anyone yet...

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
1) We need another LWB for competition at the very least.
2) March seems to be getting better every week, who knows how good he can be
3) Sessegnon won't come here unless he's guaranteed first-team football and Spurs wouldn't agree otherwise.
4) Sessegnon is younger and more explosive than March but March may be the more reliable.

Two weeks ago I would have said yes please..... no I'm not sure if he is the right one.... but we need competitive cover.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I thought they wanted an option to buy. The obligation to buy hasn't worked out for Leeds with their other loan signing from last season, has it? - can't get anywhere near the team because he's useless but they're committed to paying £18M for him, even if they are trying to weasel out of it.

Anyway, regardless of whatever deal Leeds wanted with White it doesn't alter facts; option to buy - fine; obligation to buy - plain stupid.

Cant say Im exactly sure with Knocky and White if its option or obligation, [MENTION=457]sheebo[/MENTION] seems to think Knocky may have been option?

I have read that quite a few clubs do use the obligation to buy mechanism. Its effectively the same as buying today, except you could defer your payments to a later transfer budget for financial or FFP reasons.

If I player is no longer required and is put up for sale and has demand for purchase (as Knocky was) a glorified loan with suitors choice of purchase or not is a non starter, there is little incentive to the selling club.

Option is more often used with a club that has no interest in a purchase from anyone and also sees no future for the player (like Locadia or Tosun to Palace) in the hope they can shift them off books.

out of interest whats the craic with Matt Clarke at Derby, are their options/obligations or straight loan?

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I'm in the get him in camp. Potentially a terrific addition to the left side and ill create great competition between him and March. Quality squad options is important and Sessegnon brings the added bonus of being very pacy.

With March performing so well there'll be no pressure to play him instantly either. He'll have time to get to know the squad, manager and way of playing. And if he turns out to be not as good as we're expecting...we've still got Solly performing at the top of his game. Win win!

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I'm in the get him in camp. Potentially a terrific addition to the left side and ill create great competition between him and March. Quality squad options is important and Sessegnon brings the added bonus of being very pacy.

With March performing so well there'll be no pressure to play him instantly either. He'll have time to get to know the squad, manager and way of playing. And if he turns out to be not as good as we're expecting...we've still got Solly performing at the top of his game. Win win!

To me, that would seem the perfect solution, but chances of it happening ?

And Bob's long gone :angel: (for the older NSCers)

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Cant say Im exactly sure with Knocky and White if its option or obligation, [MENTION=457]sheebo[/MENTION] seems to think Knocky may have been option?
TBH, if it was an option as opposed to an obligation, I'm not sure Fulham would be forking out £10M or so now.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
1) We need another LWB for competition at the very least.
2) March seems to be getting better every week, who knows how good he can be
3) Sessegnon won't come here unless he's guaranteed first-team football and Spurs wouldn't agree otherwise.
4) Sessegnon is younger and more explosive than March but March may be the more reliable.

Two weeks ago I would have said yes please..... no I'm not sure if he is the right one.... but we need competitive cover.

Lets see how both the player and Spurs feel at 3pm next Monday with 2 hours until the window shuts.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
If it's true that Ryan is struggling with his shyness, I can't think og many setups at this level that will support and nurture his talent and confidence more than the Albion. Tariq Lamptey is an example of a very grounded kid who he can work with, plus Potter, with his degree is Social Sciences will be able to help him.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
This. End of thread to all intents and purposes!

Any player coming is going to have to earn the right to play, if Sessegnon did not feel he could displace Solly then he would not be the right man.

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing

Only one flaw in that plan that I can see - Solly staying at the top of his game? Yes he played well on Saturday but consistency has always been his problem yet everyone suddenly seems to think he’s going to play like that or better week in week out now!

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent
Only one flaw in that plan that I can see - Solly staying at the top of his game? Yes he played well on Saturday but consistency has always been his problem yet everyone suddenly seems to think he’s going to play like that or better week in week out now!

Need competition to force players to keep playing well....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here