Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] LWB candidates - Ryan Sessengon

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Naylor now mentioning we are interested (other clubs as well) talk of a loan (to buy hasn’t been confirmed)

With Solly doing so well, we’ll need absolute top quality to compete with him for the LWB spot (Bernardo is nowhere near although 2nd choice LB). Sessegnon is one of a small handful of realistic targets capable of challenging him, I doubt Henry, Rico or Lewis would budge March so I’m so glad we’re after a £25m+ player.

If we get this lad, I will be so so happy. Please please can we do a loan-to-buy though.

If he can take up the kind of positions that March found himself in against Manure, you’re looking at 5+ goals a season from a LWB. He could be prolific in that position.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
With Solly doing so well, we’ll need absolute top quality to compete with him for the LWB spot (Bernardo is nowhere near although 2nd choice LB). Sessegnon is one of a small handful of realistic targets capable of challenging him, I doubt Henry, Rico or Lewis would budge March so I’m so glad we’re after a £25m+ player.

If we get this lad, I will be so so happy. Please please can we do a loan-to-buy though.

If he can take up the kind of positions that March found himself in against Manure, you’re looking at 5+ goals a season from a LWB. He could be prolific in that position.

Solly is doing well at LWB, but he's just an injury away from Bernardo or Burn being considered in the same attacking LWB role.... Neither of whom can play it well, Burn is fine at LB but not LWB, Bernardo isn't good enough plain and simple.

For that reason this would make massive sense, plus it gives options, for if Sessengon could get his Mojo back March is also very versatile on the left...... It would be a good problem, and better than hoping Solly stats fit as the only viable attacking LWB.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Still wouldn’t be happy with a loan. Needs to be buy or loan to buy.

Solly was immense on Saturday. Feel he’s being slightly disrespected here. I think he’s perfect in his new attacking LWB role.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Sessegnon is clearly better than March, as good as he was on saturday, that's March at his absolute peak. I hope he can maintain that level because we would be a very dangerous team is he did but we've seen down the years that a good performance isn't usually backed up with a consistent run of them. You need a whole squad, and clearly Sessegnon would be better than March and Bernardo. Therefore, if we can get him, we absolutely should. We need use to Agent Lamptey to have a word with him about the benefits of coming to Brighton.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Sounds like he needs some coaching on the mental side of the game.

I know a guy...

Hope he is a professional! We can’t just let any Tom, Jose or Harry have that job.

We’d need someone very well qualified, someone with a Masters Degree in emotional intelligence would be ideal...............

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Still wouldn’t be happy with a loan. Needs to be buy or loan to buy.

Solly was immense on Saturday. Feel he’s being slightly disrespected here. I think he’s perfect in his new attacking LWB role.

It's not an either or though is it. I agree March is doing great, but what if March does his ACL on Saturday?

It's the same reason you're vocal like me that we need a new striker, that's not disrespecting Maupay or Connolly, it's covering our arses so we can continue to play this attacking wingback system.

Lamptey out - Veltman in, is fine. March Out, then what, Burn is not a wingback, LB in a 4 he's ok, Bernardo is not up to the PL imho.

It makes perfect sense

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Sessegnon is clearly better than March, as good as he was on saturday, that's March at his absolute peak. I hope he can maintain that level because we would be a very dangerous team is he did but we've seen down the years that a good performance isn't usually backed up with a consistent run of them. You need a whole squad, and clearly Sessegnon would be better than March and Bernardo. Therefore, if we can get him, we absolutely should. We need use to Agent Lamptey to have a word with him about the benefits of coming to Brighton.
Wasn't fantastic for Fulham in the PL not sure how your getting clearly better than March ??? And I’ve been a harsh critic of March glad he’s proved me wrong.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I would think the very fact we have March will prove to be a problem in getting Sessengon. Spurs are going to want him to play and while Potter does like to rotate on his performances so far this season March is going to be tough to get in front of. Do we have £20m for a squad player currently either?

prawnsarnies

Jan 20, 2010
Potter will turn Sessengon into the real deal, seems the lad needs some special attention which I'm sure he will get with us.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
If we did buy Sessegnon, he'll have to go some to displace Solly from the team. Solly the better player at the moment, in a couple of years maybe that will change.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Wasn't fantastic for Fulham in the PL not sure how your getting clearly better than March ??? And I’ve been a harsh critic of March glad he’s proved me wrong.

Plus you have to take into account that Spurs paid £25M for him, and no doubt paid him a wage commensurate with that sort of level, so Sessegnon is effectively priced out of many options now. No way are Spurs going to get anywhere near £25M for him now, so a loan is about the only option - but certainly not a loan with an obligation to buy; it would be madness for anyone to accept that. Option to buy? Maybe.

Not sure he is an upgrade on March, and a lot more expensive in these cash-strapped times. He was an outstanding player, to be sure - in the Championship.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I think that it it's on loan (maybe with a reasonable option if he proves his worth) then it makes sense, he'll be too expensive to take on permanently. I'll be honest, I'm not sure if the excitement about signing Ryan Sessegnon comes from him actually being any good, or because he's Ryan Sessegnon. He's been at Spurs for a little bit now, Ben Davies is "solid" at best, and Vertonghen was a converted CB and yet he's not manage to get anywhere near displacing them. I'm not saying he's bad by any means, but I'm just not 100% sure he's that good.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
I would think the very fact we have March will prove to be a problem in getting Sessengon. Spurs are going to want him to play and while Potter does like to rotate on his performances so far this season March is going to be tough to get in front of. Do we have £20m for a squad player currently either?

That’s why I’m hoping it’s a loan with a compulsory purchase so it’s not an issue for Spurs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
If he could be anywhere near as good as Lamptey, could you imagine having these two down either side of the pitch?

To be fair though have been impressed with March since lockdown so as much as I'd like cover for him, could we really afford Sessengon?

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
If we did buy Sessegnon, he'll have to go some to displace Solly from the team. Solly the better player at the moment, in a couple of years maybe that will change.

Dont dispute that. even if Sessengon came, Solly will remain first choice LWB in the immediate future. But in having Sessengon it gives loads of flexibility (assuming Potter can get a tune out of him).

Solly is playing great, but what if he loses form or confidence? What if a family issue affects him (like Knockaert), What if he gets a bad injury? what are the current solutions that allow us to play the attacing LWB system and not be forced into a change of system or playing someone like Burn, who is not a left winger at all. And dont say Bernado!

Even beyond the obvious LWB role, what if Tross gets injured? who could we use as a genuine left footed attacking threat? with sessengnon, he could be put tactically into LWB with Solly playing more advanced if Tross was out.

He would give great options and genuine competition. Solly will Start v Everton and Palace barring injury, bringing in Sessengon adds missing depth, competition and options for a range of systems/scenarios.

Its not a case of Sessengon in to replace Solly, nobody will on present form. But we have 35 games to go + cup and there's a lot that can happen. I hope Bernado is not our insurance policy.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
That’s why I’m hoping it’s a loan with a compulsory purchase so it’s not an issue for Spurs.
We'd be mad to take him with an obligation to buy. Look how that worked out for Fulham with Knocky. Loan, or loan with an option to buy are the only sensible .. err .. options.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
We'd be mad to take him with an obligation to buy. Look how that worked out for Fulham with Knocky. Loan, or loan with an option to buy are the only sensible .. err .. options.

Or Leeds with White :moo:

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Dont dispute that. even if Sessengon came, Solly will remain first choice LWB in the immediate future. But in having Sessengon it gives loads of flexibility (assuming Potter can get a tune out of him).

Solly is playing great, but what if he loses form or confidence? What if a family issue affects him (like Knockaert), What if he gets a bad injury? what are the current solutions that allow us to play the attacing LWB system and not be forced into a change of system or playing someone like Burn, who is not a left winger at all. And dont say Bernado!

Even beyond the obvious LWB role, what if Tross gets injured? who could we use as a genuine left footed attacking threat? with sessengnon, he could be put tactically into LWB with Solly playing more advanced if Tross was out.

He would give great options and genuine competition. Solly will Start v Everton and Palace barring injury, bringing in Sessengon adds missing depth, competition and options for a range of systems/scenarios.

Its not a case of Sessengon in to replace Solly, nobody will on present form. But we have 35 games to go + cup and there's a lot that can happen. I hope Bernado is not our insurance policy.

Yep, squad depth is the only reason to bring him in.

My personal view is that the second choice LWB is Alzate. Certainly not ideal, but he's played very well there before

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here