Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Luke McCormick

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
No but as was stated above, football carries a certain expectation, would people except if maroon king joined us? Or lee Hughes?

No, no it doesn't. The only difference between football and any other job is that there are spectators who are effectively stakeholders. Other than that, football is subject to the same legislation and employment laws as any other profession.

You can't pick and choose which jobs convicted criminals are allowed to do simply because they are deemed to be more fun than others. That would be illegal.

McCormick was utterly wrong. We all know that. But he can only serve the sentence given to him, whether that is appropriate or not in your eyes. Beyond that, his life is his to do as he wishes. I doubt very much he'll ever forget - or be allowed to forget- what happened. But equally, I bet that amongst the people shouting "murderer" at the next game he plays, will be the odd convicted drink driver, who thinks he has the right to judge when in fact it was only by the grace of God that he wasn't in the same position.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Don't think the families of those killed view it as bad luck, do you??

FFS, you're trying to twist his words now. He's not saying it was "bad luck" that McCormick killed those boys, he's saying that it's purely good luck that Reyes DIDN'T. Because ultimately, he did exactly the same: got behind the wheel not giving a shit about anyone else. It was pure good fortune that nobody stumbled across HIS path in the way that the poor Peak family happened to meet McCormick.

D

Deleted User X18H

Any one who is a parent on here should think about the utter repulsion 'some parents' might feel on opening a paper or seeing a TV clip showing the single person responsible for shattering their lives beyond comprehension forever, now living what can only be described as a lavish, and privileged lifestyle.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
No, no it doesn't. The only difference between football and any other job is that there are spectators who are effectively stakeholders. Other than that, football is subject to the same legislation and employment laws as any other profession.

You can't pick and choose which jobs convicted criminals are allowed to do simply because they are deemed to be more fun than others. That would be illegal.

McCormick was utterly wrong. We all know that. But he can only serve the sentence given to him, whether that is appropriate or not in your eyes. Beyond that, his life is his to do as he wishes. I doubt very much he'll ever forget - or be allowed to forget- what happened. But equally, I bet that amongst the people shouting "murderer" at the next game he plays, will be the odd convicted drink driver, who thinks he has the right to judge when in fact it was only by the grace of God that he wasn't in the same position.

Great post.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
FFS, you're trying to twist his words now. He's not saying it was "bad luck" that McCormick killed those boys, he's saying that it's purely good luck that Reyes DIDN'T. Because ultimately, he did exactly the same: got behind the wheel not giving a shit about anyone else. It was pure good fortune that nobody stumbled across HIS path in the way that the poor Peak family happened to meet McCormick.

Thank you. Saved me typing it. Not just Reyes either. We've had a few.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Any one who is a parent on here should think about the utter repulsion 'some parents' might feel on opening a paper or seeing a TV clip showing the single person responsible for shattering their lives beyond comprehension forever, now living what can only be described as a lavish, and privileged lifestyle.

You don't know the first thing about how Luke McCormick is living his life at the moment.

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
I'm only saying it as a parent, because if I saw the man who killed my boys, being paid thousands a week, 4 years after killing my boy, not sure how I would react, would be horrified, not see if I would hate the man more or the club allowing him back

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Thank you. Saved me typing it. Not just Reyes either. We've had a few.

I believe both Leon Knight and Adam Hinshelwood both got convicted of drink driving while Albion players. At least I hope I've got the right players.

Can someone search the archives an locate the threads demanding they both be jailed for life and never allowed to work again please?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I believe both Leon Knight and Adam Hinshelwood both got convicted of drink driving while Albion players. At least I hope I've got the right players.

Can someone search the archives an locate the threads demanding they both be jailed for life and never allowed to work again please?

and Lee Steele, I think.

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom

Leon knight should be jailed for being a twat

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I'm only saying it as a parent, because if I saw the man who killed my boys, being paid thousands a week, 4 years after killing my boy, not sure how I would react, would be horrified, not see if I would hate the man more or the club allowing him back

Of course. Any victim would feel the same. But realistically, where do you draw a line as to what someone can or cannot do once a sentence is served?

Do we say you can't earn more than a certain amount? How much? On what basis? Do we construct a list of jobs which might be deemed "fun", and forbid the criminals from doing them? Do we say you can only do the hottest, sweatiest and most labour intensive jobs? In which case what does that say to the people already in those positions, that you're on a level with criminals?

I know it doesn't feel good. But either these people have a clean slate or they don't. That's what a court is for. You can't have half measures.

Besides. Nothing will ever truly compensate the Peaks for the loss of their sons. Little things, every single day, will always remind them, no matter what McCormick does. A court could prohibit him from ever doing anything again and it wouldn't ease their pain. So who are the rest of us to say what he should or shouldn't be allowed to do?

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
I am of the opinion that yes, the sentence isn't long enough for the crime, and that yes he has served what was handed to him and he of course should be allowed to get a job and continue his life - the amount he gets paid is irrelevant to me. The problem I have is that continuing his career as a footballer - places him in the public limelight a lot more than most professions and that's not something I'm comfortable with. I feel sick every time I see Lee Hughes on the telly having scored a goal and doing his stupid little dance as a celebration. Can't imagine what his victim's family must feel if they see it.

I appreciate this is not practical and no real rules could ever be placed on what jobs they can/can't do - but I just can't get away from the feeling I get seeing Lee Hughes dancing around in joy

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I do agree about Hughes: I know it's probably unfair as he's done his time, but it is that dance isn't it? I realise you can't actually prevent anyone from enjoying themselves, but Hughes doesn't strike me as displaying an awful lot of dignity, it has to be said.

I don't know what the solution is, clearly you can't tell him he's not allowed to smile ever again, and ultimately it's no different to any other employee getting on with their life and job, and having a laugh with their mates. But I really don't like watching Hughes do the dance.

Irrational but true.

Sep 7, 2011
shoreham
Of course. Any victim would feel the same. But realistically, where do you draw a line as to what someone can or cannot do once a sentence is served?

Do we say you can't earn more than a certain amount? How much? On what basis? Do we construct a list of jobs which might be deemed "fun", and forbid the criminals from doing them? Do we say you can only do the hottest, sweatiest and most labour intensive jobs? In which case what does that say to the people already in those positions, that you're on a level with criminals?

I know it doesn't feel good. But either these people have a clean slate or they don't. That's what a court is for. You can't have half measures.

Besides. Nothing will ever truly compensate the Peaks for the loss of their sons. Little things, every single day, will always remind them, no matter what McCormick does. A court could prohibit him from ever doing anything again and it wouldn't ease their pain. So who are the rest of us to say what he should or shouldn't be allowed to do?
not wishing to get into a bin fest here but you cant do these jobs why should football not be on this list due to the extreamly high rewards that can be made:shrug:

•working with children and vulnerable adults, such as elderly and disabled people
•senior roles in banking and the financial services industry
•certain posts connected to law enforcement, including the judiciary and the police
•work involving national security
•certain posts in the prison service
•certain professions in areas such as health, pharmacy and the law
•private security work.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
I do agree about Hughes: I know it's probably unfair as he's done his time, but it is that dance isn't it? I realise you can't actually prevent anyone from enjoying themselves, but Hughes doesn't strike me as displaying an awful lot of dignity, it has to be said.

I don't know what the solution is, clearly you can't tell him he's not allowed to smile ever again, and ultimately it's no different to any other employee getting on with their life and job, and having a laugh with their mates. But I really don't like watching Hughes do the dance.

Irrational but true.

Yep - If he did that dance when out or at home with mates fine, only a few will see it - but he chooses to do it front of thousands of people and even more who see it on telly later. Of course he is going to be happy, but just looks like he's ramming it down the throat of everyone which makes me feel so uncomfortable

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
I knew other people would say done his time etc, and yes it's up to the judge etc to determine how long a sentence he gets, just think its disgusting he is out after such a short time for killing 2 young boys and fleeing the scene

I don't think he did flee the scene did he?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here