Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Loyalty Contracts

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
How many of the 11 do you reckon have this DK masterstroke written into their new contracts?...

Mayo will still be here when he's 50!!!

:jester:

bhafc4eva

Nov 21, 2003
Well if Doug Loft has one i dont think we should worry too much.

If you were the Chairman of a cash-strapped football club and had the choice of offereing a player, say, £1000 a week with a guaranteed extension of the contract for another year, if the manager selected him for 23 league games, OR £1200 a week with no guaranteed extension, which would you prefer?

And if you were the Player? Would you rather have £1200 a week for a year, or a chance of earning £1000 a week for two years?

And if you were the Player's Agent, which deal would you push for?

Last edited:

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
I woudn't say they were either. It's not loyalty that gets you picked and I would say a half-way house would be a one year with a second year option.

More of a playing reward contract.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Lord Bracknell said:
If you were the Chairman of a cash-strapped football club and had the choice of offereing a player, say, £1000 a week with a guaranteed extension of the contract for another year, if the manager selected him for 23 league games, OR £1200 a week with no guaranteed extension, which would you prefer?

And if you were the Player? Would you rather have £1200 a week for a year, or a chance of earning £1000 a week for two years?

If I was the club I would have recognised that at least a season ago two of these players probably need to be let go at some point so would have just offered them a year with no stupid clause that means if they get games due to injuries and the like they would not automatically get a contract.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Les Biehn said:
It's not loyalty that gets you picked
Well in a way it is... With these loyalty contracts we can't afford to sign anyone else to take these players places.

:rolleyes:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Lord Bracknell said:

Quit yo jibber jabber.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Trigger said:
Well in a way it is... With these loyalty contracts we can't afford to sign anyone else to take these players places.

:rolleyes:

Then it's not loyalty but your employers stupidity that gets you picked.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Les Biehn said:
If I was the club I would have recognised that at least a season ago two of these players probably need to be let go at some point so would have just offered them a year with no stupid clause that means if they get games due to injuries and the like they would not automatically get a contract.
Player A wants two years, or he is off. His club only wants to take a punt for a year. There is deadlock. 'OK', says the club 'we'll give you one year, and you can have a second year provided you play X games this season...'

It gives the player in question no guarantee whatsoever that he will get that second year, but it does focus his mind on getting into the team.

Les Biehn said:
But take the example of a young player, with promise.

What would you do then?

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Les Biehn said:
Then it's not loyalty but your employers stupidity that gets you picked.
But no-one would have opened the thread if I'd titled it 'Dick Knight is a clown'.

:jester:

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Lord Bracknell said:
But take the example of a young player, with promise.

What would you do then?

Do what they do with most players, sign him to a contract that his worth reflects.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
The Large One said:
Player A wants two years, or he is off. His club only wants to take a punt for a year. There is deadlock. 'OK', says the club 'we'll give you one year, and you can have a second year provided you play X games this season...'

It gives the player in question no guarantee whatsoever that he will get that second year, but it does focus his mind on getting into the team.

This suggests you think Mayo and Hart were in a position to negotiate. Give them a year, they are then gonna have to be focused on getting in the team whether they have a clause or not because they want a contract for next year.

Les Biehn said:
Do what they do with most players, sign him to a contract that his worth reflects.
Trouble is ... who assesses his worth? The Club, the player or his agent? Or even his dad?

When they don't agree, things get bumpy.

Last edited:

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Lord Bracknell said:
Trouble is ... who assesses his worth? The Club, the player or his agent? Or even his dad?

When they don't agree, things get bumpy.

So how do they come to any agreement? You make it sound nigh on impossible to get a contract sorted at all.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Lets be honest as well, we are talking about 2 players who maybe shouldn't have even been given new contracts in the first place.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Lord Bracknell said:

Its a fair point ,however I am not convinced that this 'performance bonus' is always in the players longer term interest. ( although the player perceives it to be ).

I think it can be a hurdle especially in younger players career especially, even in an older player career it can hamper your immediate future.

If as I suspect that DW doesnt fancy either player, it is likely to stop the player playing games which will always hurt a players career. Irrespective of each players contribution this pre-season, they will be overlooked.

It seemed that Gary Hart's playing opportunities this season were greatly effected by this clause, only injury forced DW hand.

It seems inevitable that both will not see much action next season.

So they got their extra year, Brighton keeps a couple of experience 'old heads' to do a fill in job in times of crisis, but more likely, hardly any first team games to impress any prospective employers.

But where can they go after that. I fear Bognor, Worthing and Lewes will be watching closely.

So today they might feel their agent did a good job, next year they might feel rather different.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
BigGully said:

It seemed that Gary Hart's playing opportunities this season were greatly effected by this clause, only injury forced DW hand.

Which is a situation which shows how it can also be problematic for the club.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here