Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lower league Pompey

Dirk Gently

Dec 27, 2011
You can have 5 subs on the bench but its not mandatory , in theory the team-sheet could be handed in with just 11 players as the starting line up and no subs.

Yes, but he also has to have a view to a sale "as a going concern" and so maximising revenue for the creditors - and the prospects of a sale of a Tier 2 club is likely to bring in a higher potential value than a Tier 3 one.

If the administrator is doing his job then his first priority is to reduce the wages bill by making any players earning over £5k a week available as loans and get agreements on wage deferrals. Any players sent out on loan will be replaced by academy players.

Yes, but he also has to have a view to a sale "as a going concern" and so maximising revenue for the creditors - and the prospects of a sale of a Tier 2 club is likely to bring in a higher potential value than a Tier 3 one.

This is the first priority of an Administrator - to keep the business running solvently until it is sold.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
One thought of course is that they could start by dumping the Chief Exec, David Lampitt, who has no actual responsibility for day to day management which for the last year or so has been down to the administrators. Although earning less than his predecessor, Peter Storrie, he does continue to be paid a fairly respectable £1m a year for not doing anything. Nice job if you can get it :lol:

sacked by the administrator today along with two other paid Directors who have had no function but kept collecting their dosh. Sadly a lot of other staff who have worked harder and earned considerably less will be joining them soon.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I hadn't seen this terrific quote from Keith Hill, until now. Fair play to him for actually saying what everyone else in the game must surely be thinking:

Keith Hill revealed he had no sympathy for crisis club Portsmouth after his Barnsley side plunged the troubled south-coast club into the npower Championship relegation zone this afternoon.

The 2008 FA Cup winners face an uncertain future as Birch begins the search for a new owner, but Tykes boss Hill insists the stricken club's problems are self-inflicted.

When asked if had any sympathy for Portsmouth, Hill said: "None whatsoever, absolutely none. Because they've spent money they can't afford. They've recruited players at the beginning of the season knowing full well they were still in debt from the previous time they were still in administration.

"They've recruited players that I could not afford to recruit, and they are paying the type of wages that I could only dream about paying.

"So how can I have sympathy for any football club who is competitive against me in a league where I have got not the same rich rewards?

"They are spending money they haven't got, so why should I have sympathy. [Manager] Michael Appleton, yes, the players, yes, the supporters - but what they are doing, absolutely not whatsoever."

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
I hadn't seen this terrific quote from Keith Hill, until now. Fair play to him for actually saying what everyone else in the game must surely be thinking:

think I might post that on their site :lol:

great stuff - I do so like Keith Hill

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
Pompey Have Lewis stockford and Carl Walsh out on loan, if they are struggling for players for the bench why do they not recall them

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Pompey Have Lewis stockford and Carl Walsh out on loan, if they are struggling for players for the bench why do they not recall them

I guess because they can't afford to have them back on the wagebill.

Not that it normally stops them, mind.

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
sacked by the administrator today along with two other paid Directors who have had no function but kept collecting their dosh. Sadly a lot of other staff who have worked harder and earned considerably less will be joining them soon.

The irony of Lampitt being on the Pompey payroll anyway - He's a former FA Compliance officer?! :rolleyes:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I guess because they can't afford to have them back on the wagebill.

Not that it normally stops them, mind.

This business of only naming three subs is an utter SHAM anyway, designed to elicit sympathy manipulate the Football League into permitting them to sign "emergency" loan players.

As somebody has very succinctly put it on the thread about them on the Guardian website, the so-called punishment their fans (and the rest of the club) have had to endure is merely to put them back in roughly the same place that they would have been before they started trying to financially cheat their way to glory: ie just above the Championship relegation zone. That's not a punishment, it's almost a reward. On that basis, does anybody still feel sorry for their fans?

SurreySeagulls

Jul 9, 2003
Guildford
I feel not one bit of sympathy for Portsmouth FC, Players or their fans. No one can be that bloody stupid to think things were not strange. The fans have riden the crest of a wave (two FA Cup finals and a run in Europe) plus several seasons at the top table and all so they go into Admin twice in quick succession and screw the public purse out of yet more money. Surley the deluded fans must have realised more money going out than coming in but bugger that whilst we are doing well. The players quite happily have taken vast sums of money out knowing that if it went belly up they are favoured creditors as well.

So to sum it up I hope they go to the wall.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
This is the first priority of an Administrator - to keep the business running solvently until it is sold.

This wasn't the impression given by the previous administrator , signing 2 players on £20k a week each and who failed to be appointed this time around after objections from HMRC and others.

gjh1971

May 7, 2007
You can have 5 subs on the bench but its not mandatory , in theory the team-sheet could be handed in with just 11 players as the starting line up and no subs.

You can hand in a team line up with 8 players in the line up - thats the minimum required to start a game.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill

SG, just a quick thanks for all the sterling work you do in bringing us the REAL PFC stories - Your ability to impartially convey the seedy intricacies of PFC is amazing; it's almost like you enjoy your work.. :cheers::clap: :thumbsup:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
SG, just a quick thanks for all the sterling work you do in bringing us the REAL PFC stories - Your ability to impartially convey the seedy intricacies of PFC is amazing; it's almost like you enjoy your work.. :cheers::clap: :thumbsup:

Nothing but nothing gives more pleasure (unless it is telling the same truths on their own forums :rolleyes:)

This wasn't the impression given by the previous administrator , signing 2 players on £20k a week each and who failed to be appointed this time around after objections from HMRC and others.

What is your point wrt the Administrators then - Kitson and Lawrence were the makeweights in a deal involving a Pompey player going to Stoke?

Leosayer

Aug 25, 2011
Kent
Is there any prospect that they could actually be kicked out of the league mid season?
If this happened I guess all points gained against them would be wiped out, how would this affect the table?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Rob Harris on twitter last night said that the administrator has asked the players to defer wages for now as the club could run out of cash in 2 months, and its survival is a serious risk.

The key question is whether the administrator will be able to sell the club as a viable going concern... they don't own the ground or the land around it, and the wage bill is sky high.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here