Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lower league Pompey

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
I'm really starting to get fcked off with clubs going into Admin writing off debts, and then repeating the same mistakes. Poopey being the worst offenders of this. They should be left to go to the wall.
Having spoken to a few of their fans there seems to be a rising argument for this among them too. They would now prefer to do an AFC Wimbledon and rise back through the leagues having started a fresh and running the club on a sound footing. I think in their position I would now be feeling the same, and be rid of the gangsters and general scum bags that have owned them recently.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
I'm really starting to get fcked off with clubs going into Admin writing off debts, and then repeating the same mistakes. Poopey being the worst offenders of this. They should be left to go to the wall.
Having spoken to a few of their fans there seems to be a rising argument for this among them too. They would now prefer to do an AFC Wimbledon and rise back through the leagues having started a fresh and running the club on a sound footing. I think in their position I would now be feeling the same, and be rid of the gangsters and general scum bags that have owned them recently.

The precedent has been set serial tax dodging and non payment of debts is acceptable for football clubs,go into administration lose 10 points find new owner, repeat.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
The precedent has been set serial tax dodging and non payment of debts is acceptable for football clubs,go into administration lose 10 points find new owner, repeat.

Yes, but it shouldn't be! The 10 point penalty was put in place when this wasn't the norm. There now needs to be a more severe form of punishment to discourage financial tomfoolery, such as automatic relegation by a league or two..

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
Yes, but it shouldn't be! The 10 point penalty was put in place when this wasn't the norm. There now needs to be a more severe form of punishment to discourage financial tomfoolery, such as automatic relegation by a league or two..

Totaly agree with you,automatic expulsion from the league is what should happen with the money at stake today.But it is too late for that all will argue southampton Pompey now Rangers got away with it why not us,fcuking disgraceful.:rant::rant:

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
If Pompey avoid the drop, then what punishment will they actually have had ?
With Rangers its even more laughable as they are still second and in a European place.
Punishment for going into administration should be automatic relegation and a moratorium on promotion for two years.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
Alot of Pompey fans can't see the difference between them and Man City, Man Utd and Chelsea.

They can't seem to grasp that they spend money and actually pay their way abliet through rich owners etc

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
So, is that it then - Pompey saved, or are there more twists in this sordid tale?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It is also a joke that they continue to ask the FL for permission to sign players out of the transfer window as they only have 14 FIRST TEAM players and one of them is suspended. Don't they have reserves or youth players as a match only entails 11 players and 5 subs 16 in total and they must have some fringe players. Whose fault is it that they are without Kitson for 3 games?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Kitson is only out for 1 game as apparently his dismissal was for 2 yellows not a straight red.

Yes of course they have a youth set up. Last week there was an article in their local rag saying that the manager thought they "weren't ready" to be thrown in to the Championship (even as subs?). Above it was a picture where 6 youth players were visible and underneath were comments from fans stating with absolute certainty that all their academy players had been sent away because they hadn't been paid. Two days later their academy fielded a full side in a scheduled league game.

The issue is that under the terms of their last CVA (a whole year ago) they were restricted by the FL in how much they could spend on their first team squad. They decided on a policy (with the agreement of the then administrator) of "quality over quantity" (their words) and bought in Ben Haim (£36K a week) Lawrence (£20K) and Kitson (£20k) - Benjani and Kanu at a mere £14K a week and Pearce at£7.5K (having accepted a deal at Posh for less than half that he wasn't going to say "no" was he?) - are lightweights.

To accomodate this policy Cotterill sent some of his fringe players to train with the reserves/academy and of course none of those could be promoted back to the first team because they had already exhausted their agreed wage cap. This squad, by the way, includes some talented youngsters from Australia for whom they have yet to pay the fees to their parent clubs 2 years after signing them (and in one case having sold the player on to a Championship rival where, needless to say, the lad concerned is in the first team squad).

"Honest Micheal Appleton" has continued this policy of keeping fringe and youth players out of the picture because - even if it is relative peanuts - they do get paid and would affect how much the club can pay its "stars" (quality over quantity remember). Instead he is seeking to recruit Premier League players whose wages will be paid in full by their parent club. As Portsmouth fans are quick to explain - it is only fair.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I could be wrong but i beleive they do own the ground but it has protection against development as does one of the stands.I think it is one of the reasons they cannot move as other clubs have done, as the ground itself is worthless in terms of development into housing or retail units.This should and would be good for any other club as it ensures they never lose the ground as we did.But the skates are a greedy bunch who think they are a big club,they are not.

Portsmouth City Council have intimated that any restrictive covenants in place would be lifted to allow retail development on the site after the club has been wound up.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
It is also a joke that they continue to ask the FL for permission to sign players out of the transfer window as they only have 14 FIRST TEAM players and one of them is suspended. Don't they have reserves or youth players as a match only entails 11 players and 5 subs 16 in total and they must have some fringe players. Whose fault is it that they are without Kitson for 3 games?

You can have 5 subs on the bench but its not mandatory , in theory the team-sheet could be handed in with just 11 players as the starting line up and no subs.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
"Honest Micheal Appleton" has continued this policy of keeping fringe and youth players out of the picture because - even if it is relative peanuts - they do get paid and would affect how much the club can pay its "stars" (quality over quantity remember). Instead he is seeking to recruit Premier League players whose wages will be paid in full by their parent club. As Portsmouth fans are quick to explain - it is only fair.
If the administrator is doing his job then his first priority is to reduce the wages bill by making any players earning over £5k a week available as loans and get agreements on wage deferrals. Any players sent out on loan will be replaced by academy players.

Portsmouth City Council have intimated that any restrictive covenants in place would be lifted to allow retail development on the site after the club has been wound up.

Fratton Park is owned by Balram Chainrai, their former owner who sold the club in to Convers Sports Initiatives last year; the surrounding ground/area is still owned by Alexandre Gaydamak who bought the club from Mandaric in 2006.

If the administrator is doing his job then his first priority is to reduce the wages bill by making any players earning over £5k a week available as loans and get agreements on wage deferrals. Any players sent out on loan will be replaced by academy players.

As much as I it disappoints me to say it - that's not the case. The administrator has to trim the business down to a viable size, yes, but in their position (in the relegation zone) any decent one would argue that getting rid (even on loan) of their best players would make relegation much more likely and would ensure lower revenue streams in the future. It's probably actually in creditors interests that they stay in the Championship as the money in for TV and Premiership pay-off is much greater there than in League One, so they'd stand to get more of their money back if the club avoided relegation.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset

I agree wholeheartedly but that depends on honest and open management.

As the new administrator is in total control it might actually transpire.

Under the old regime - the views of which Appleton continues to reflect very vocally right up to today - the youth players effectively did not exist.

One thought of course is that they could start by dumping the Chief Exec, David Lampitt, who has no actual responsibility for day to day management which for the last year or so has been down to the administrators. Although earning less than his predecessor, Peter Storrie, he does continue to be paid a fairly respectable £1m a year for not doing anything. Nice job if you can get it :lol:

Add in a few players - Ben Haim, Norris, Kanu, Benjani, Lawrence, Kitson - sent out on loans and at least a bit of that little lot's £7m*+ wages could be saved. THEN you could play academy players AND there would be a bit more chance of the FL taking requests for loanees a bit more seriously.

*6 players' wages which equate to - very roughly - the clubs' continuing losses since they went into administration theoretically charged with operating at break-even

Last edited:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I think I'll CRY if they don't go down.

I'll also be EXTREMELY pissed off if they don't get more than a 10 point deduction.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I think I'll CRY if they don't go down.

I'll also be EXTREMELY pissed off if they don't get more than a 10 point deduction.

Ideally they'll manage to get relegated with just the -10 points, and THEN fail to exit via the CVA and get a bunch more in League 1.

As I've said before, is there anything about how Pompey have been run that appears legitimate/good practice?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here