Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Louis Theroux on the telly tonight...

bright1064

Dec 21, 2007
Brighton
Did anyone see his new program on BBC2 tonight? All about some of the mean streets of Philly, US. After watching, I am glad I live where I do. Pretty hard hitting stuff, and a great watch. :bowdown:

The differences between the UK and US scream out.

Ignoring the whole 'gun culture' thing ... was anyone else struck with the thought that if, it had been Britain, the authorities would at least have spent a few bob tidying up the neighbourhood?

And a second thought ... until that happens, there is no way that these districts of Killadelphia will have any hope of improving.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Yet another excellent programme from Louis, I love his laid back style, though I know it isn't to everyone's taste. I am sure there are parts of the UK that are a little on the rough side with gun crime, drugs and prostitution...but I doubt if anywhere is nearly as bad as that part of Philadelphia. What struck me was the attitude of some of the people they interviewed, most seemed to accept the shit that was infecting their lives and a general unwillingness to co-operate with anyone (the cops) who might be able to sort it out. I wonder if the impending change of President will make any difference, it needs to!

Next week it is Johannesburg, prepare yourselfs for machetes, aids and necklace killings.

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
Part of me thinks it was a waste of time as he didn't really get any truth out of the Police or the public. He was asking some bloody stupid questions too.

It did highlight the vicious circle between the police and the criminals. I felt most sorry for the young girls hooked on Heroin forced into prostitution.

SNOOBS

Feb 25, 2007
Brighton
How is Louis not dead yet. He just stood there asking why, why, why?
You sort of feel sorry for those people and the ones that are killed but then they actually want to be there, in with the crowd. If they had any sense they would get out. Maybe its easier said than done.

Pretty mental really

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
I liked the bit with the rude boy gangsta word upa,just couldnt figure out how to put on the jumper his nan obviously had just knitted him. :afro:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
What a fascinating and depressing programme, really. I thought Theroux did bloody well NOT to patronise the gangsters by being grittily determined to ask them exactly the sort of questions that no-one over there ever seems to be asking: why on earth are you behaving like that and wrecking your own neighbourhood? The moment when he asked someone if the woman crying over the shot bloke was a relative, only to be told "that's her brother man" was nothing short of chilling.

The police genuinely seemed like decent people, at least with a film camera pointing at them, while the vestige of humanity of the gangsters - appealing to which will surely the only way of breaking that cycle - was also not entirely hidden away.

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
Why hasn't he been shot yet! How many times did he ask that drug dealer if he was a drug dealer haha? I think he wants to be beaten up.

Old Greg

It's Choade My Dear
Feb 5, 2008
Why hasn't he been shot yet! How many times did he ask that drug dealer if he was a drug dealer haha? I think he wants to be beaten up.

I reckon the closest he got to be beaten up is when he went to America and interviewed them racists and went to their house and said if I'm gay or Jewish would you allow me in, they said no and asked him if he was and he wouldn't answer. Got a bit heated then lol. But I love watching his programmes, especially the Jimmy Saville one.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
The differences between the UK and US scream out.

Ignoring the whole 'gun culture' thing ... was anyone else struck with the thought that if, it had been Britain, the authorities would at least have spent a few bob tidying up the neighbourhood?

And a second thought ... until that happens, there is no way that these districts of Killadelphia will have any hope of improving.

funny you should think that it highlighted differences between the UK and US, and my over riding impressions are I see more and more of South London becoming a poor mans (if you will pardon the expression) version of it. Or at least a very good tribute act. And people are REVELLING in it.

We may never suffer these levels or extremes of people on the edge of society, but we and those involved in criminality are giving it a f***ing good go.

The authorities would of course spent spent a few bob on it. They would have demolished the place, built masionettes that some prick who has no experience of life had told them would encourage a greater sense of community, that were again demolished or boarded up in 10 years, at a massive cost to the rate payer.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
The police genuinely seemed like decent people, at least with a film camera pointing at them, while the vestige of humanity of the gangsters - appealing to which will surely the only way of breaking that cycle - was also not entirely hidden away.

Fair point, that big fat white gangster with the sort of ginger beard, who kept animals...including a young calf...that was a little bit random, but showed that whatever bad stuff he was involved in there was also a compassionate side to his character.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I think it showed how easily entire communities can become disaffected.

It must be very frustrating for the honest people living in those areas who every day are subjected to intrusions from the state in the form of stop and searches by the police but at the same time see NO state intervention whatsoever in improving the modern day slums they are forced to live in.

The kids who got chased by plain closed cops and knocked out and nearly shot for running away summed it up (whether or not he was telling the truth). When the cops said he must have done something wrong because he ran away he said something like: 'Of course I ran away. We have random drive by shootings here every day and a big car just screeched up to me and four guys jumped out and ran toward me.'

I know the logic the cops were trying to tell the angry locals when it all nearly kicked off. 'We stopped a man, we got his gun off him. That MUST be good.' But I can also sympathise with the people who feel harassed and adandoned by the state.

What was it one of the cornerboys said: "He got shot - tell me how many police are still looking for the guy who did it."

A right royal mess no question.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Louis Theroux for me is must-watch TV. He captured brilliantly the attitude of the cops and the locals, the sense of futility and the seriousness of the problems over there.

What I find worrying the how the authorities almost seem to have given up on the environment, so much so that the drug dealer Red is allowed to keep farm livestock on a building site - they obviously don't have the same animal welfare laws over there!

And how the hell do they get away with removing sections of tenement blocks leaving other sections free-standing - it all looked well dodgy to me.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Part to in South Africa and Johannesburg and I think this will be grim.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I have read that people are critical of his style and demeanour. I think the fact that he does not come across as an 'in-your-face' journalist allows him to form a bond with the subject in question. He lets his subjects do the talking as opposed to forcing words into their mouths. That was particularly evident in the Baptist Church (We hate fags) episode, when they could easily have shut up shop.

Ps Which channel is this on? I can't find it anywhere!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Theroux is very good at just letting the subject talk and not imposing himself.

Also very non-judgemental just let's it flow whether the subject are complete dickheads or not.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here