Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Looks like bertins defo not staying now!

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
It was clear to me that the short term deal suited Bertie as it pout him in the shop window so to spaeak. It may be that he never had any intention of making it a long term proposal.

Never mind El-Mood why is there no positive comment about Charlie playing this role?

I think once Bertin got himself fit he was always going to be far better than a bottom half of the third division team.

I think it is a shame, but I wish him well...he certainly added some much needed sunshine in a season of dark clouds.

I think you know my feelings about Charlie, but I wait to be pleasantly suprised, if not, I blame you for raising my expectations

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Would be a great shame if we couldn't sign Bertin. I would rather pay more to keep him than sign a couple of second rate midfielders. He needs to put himself in the shop window by staying at least another season with us.

Parson Henry

Jan 6, 2004
Victor Bhanerjee's notebook
I think once Bertin got himself fit he was always going to be far better than a bottom half of the third division team.

I think it is a shame, but I wish him well...he certainly added some much needed sunshine in a season of dark clouds.

I think you know my feelings about Charlie, but I wait to be pleasantly suprised, if not, I blame you for raising my expectations

I stand ready to shoulder that blame..but also to accept an accolade should Chas pleasantly surprise you.

:albion2:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
It was clear to me that the short term deal suited Bertie as it pout him in the shop window so to spaeak. It may be that he never had any intention of making it a long term proposal.

Never mind El-Mood why is there no positive comment about Charlie playing this role?

Spot on Tribune. There seems to be an underlying anger against the club for not giving him a long deal from the word go. We may have never seen him if we had only offered him a long term deal!

I am hoping that Charlie can 'do a job', but I worry seeing as he has been out for 18 months. His game is not about pace, so perhaps he can plug the gap in the short term. He is clearly a determined fella, so I am not going to write him off. If he can regain the form he showed before his injury then I will be very pleased. His presence does have positive effects on the team.

John Byrne

Jun 18, 2007
I personally don't think Charlie is in Wilkins plans....give it a couple of weeks training and he will end up retiring and joining the club behind the scenes. Thats my opinion...but if he does prove me wrong and get in the team good luck to him as he's a good morale boost for the whole team.

He is a free agent and doen't need to tell us anything. He is out of contract with us and we have no control over where he goes next and when we talked with Wendy at a non league game in March, he was fairly confident then that Bertin was not going to stay..........

No he didn't turn up for training. Nobody knew why. It turned out that he was in Germany.
He did want relocation expenses but still didn't let the club know that he wasn't coming back.
Then the following year he asked to come back. He was turned down (so I understand)

From The Scotsman 17/2/05
Iwelumo admitted that while nobody at Aachen, an ancient west German town better known for equestrian pursuits than football, is keen to see their amazing run to the last 32 of the UEFA end, the club’s priority is promotion to the top tier of the Bundesliga for the first time in more than 40 years. "Last year the club just missed out on promotion and their run to the German Cup final, where they earned their UEFA place after losing to Werder Bremen, was definitely seen as a consolation prize," said Iwelumo.

The club’s coach was sacked and new manager Dieter Hecking brought in 15 new players, including Iwelumo - whom he had hoped to sign for his former club Lubeck - from Brighton.

"The coach has told me I’m here to be the long-term replacement for team captain Erik Meijer, who is now 35 and will retire at the end of the season," explained Iwelumo. "So, for the moment, I’m mostly on the bench, watching and learning from Erik, who is really on fire just now.

"Obviously, I’m hoping to get a few more starts in the second half of the season, but, with Erik, best known from his spells with Liverpool and PSV Eindhoven, playing so well, I cannot go shouting that I should be playing."

Iwelumo’s decision to join Aachen, on a three-year contract, was a big blow to another Scot, Mark McGhee, who had rescued the player from the Stoke City reserves. The striker went on to repay the manager with some crucial goals in Brighton’s late run to victory in the Division 2 play-offs.

"The play-off campaign was great; it was happy dressing room at Brighton and I got on well with Mark, so I would have been quite happy to stay there. But I had only joined on a three-month deal and Aachen came in with an offer which was too good to turn down, so I decided to try Germany."

Not that Iwelumo is a stranger to continental football. As an 18-year-old struggling to break into the first-team at St Mirren, for whom he made his first team debut while still a pupil at Kilmarnock’s St Joseph’s Academy, he moved to Denmark with Aarhus Fremad. His spell in Denmark proved fruitful but, after a string of injuries, he came home to join Stoke City, where he played in the Potters’ 2000 Auto Windscreen Shields Final victory at Wembley.

He then attracted the notice of Scotland manager Berti Vogts, who picked him for a trial at Stirling - a match he had to miss, as it clashed with Stoke’s play-off games.

As a youngster at Love Street, Iwelumo was a reserve-team colleague of Livingston’s David McNamee, who has already made his full Scotland bow and Burton O’Brien, who has now opted to play for his native South Africa. Iwelumo, of course, could also play for Nigeria, but he admits he’d rather play for Scotland.

"There have been rumours of a possible Future team call-up and while I’m not holding my breath, if it happens, I’ll jump at the chance to show what I can do," he admitted.

And, if Aachen’s UEFA dream continues, that call just might come along. "Really the whole UEFA Cup thing has been fantastic," he said. "

We’ve great support from the fans and living in a really beautiful old town, life is good right now."

Related topic

UEFA Cup
http://sport.scotsman.com/topics.cfm?tid=668
This article: http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/sport.cfm?id=179482005

Last updated: 17-Feb-05 11:01 BST

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The fans have to put up with a lot but one thing they should NOT have to put up with is players that do not want to play for the club.

This is not complicated. He's out of contract, hasn't reported back for training and is considering his options. Wilkins should tell him straight he's a great player, we'd love to have him but he's got until X to sign on the dotted line otherwise we withdraw, move on and look for someone else.

For once it would be really nice to have the squad in place and settled by the end of July. Hopefully the Falmer YES will give the whole place a lift, and might help to attract players. I'm not worried about Bertin and trust the board and Wilkins to get this one right - again DEan's comments are SPOT ON.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
To be honest after Bertins last few games for us I must admit AM I BOVVERED?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I am not sure what standard they play at but you do have to ask the questioin why they were not playing him.

A bloody sight higher a standard than us. He was captain of le Havre, in teh French second div, and briefly in the top div. He wasn't playing because of an off-field falling out with the management.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here