Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Looks like bertins defo not staying now!

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
:lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol:

Talking about details, I know the Chairman of Colchester United FC supporters club ( I work with him in London) and Iwo tells a far different story about B&HA management at the time...but hey...doesnt matter. Life goes on.

So why did he ask to come back? He must have liked us.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
I thought we had.... Dick was on the phone in before the end of the season saying we were doing are upmost to keep him.

Yes but if he gets a better offer from a better club there's not a lot we can do is there? As someone else said, good luck to him and let's move on.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
So why did he ask to come back? He must have liked us.
We were in the Championship, and at that time his stock was not high enough for any other Championship side to really show interest?

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
I think it is fairly simple, we took his contract on till the end of the season... and i doubt he was that keen. His agent probably said it was worth while to get in the shop window.

Probably had no intention of staying, just to get a better deal at another club

Fair play...... not like he owes us anything, but keeping us in the dark rather than saying thanks but no thanks would have been nice

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Fair play...... not like he owes us anything, but keeping us in the dark rather than saying thanks but no thanks would have been nice

He must have been in touch for Wilkins to know that a Championship side and a Belgium side are interested. Maybe he has rung in today and informed the club?

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
He must have been in touch for Wilkins to know that a Championship side and a Belgium side are interested. Maybe he has rung in today and informed the club?

How do you know that ?

Wilkins could have phoned his agent ? Or had a call from another interested club ?

Maybe someone at Le Harve knows and has told Wilkins

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
How do you know that ?

Wilkins could have phoned his agent ? Or had a call from another interested club ?

Maybe someone at Le Harve knows and has told Wilkins

I know that the BBC report has Wilkin's comment on it. The rest is surmising which is what you're doing. That's why I put a question mark at the end of my statement.
Wilkins ringing his agent is a good guess. I doubt Le Havre would know as his contract there is finished and why would another club ask us?
I reckon you're right with Wilkins ringing his agent.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
I know that the BBC report has Wilkin's comment on it. The rest is surmising which is what you're doing.
Wilkins ringing his agent is a good guess. I doubt Le Havre would know as his contract there is finished and why would another club ask us?
I reckon you're right with Wilkins ringing his agent.

Le Harve might know as still must have contacts there ?

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
No he didn't turn up for training. Nobody knew why. It turned out that he was in Germany.
He did want relocation expenses but still didn't let the club know that he wasn't coming back.

I'm led to believe it was the rather unreasonable wages he asked for that was the problem - McGhee didn't think he was worth the amount. In hindsight, it seems he was wrong ... even at the time it was a questionable decision.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I'm led to believe it was the rather unreasonable wages he asked for that was the problem - McGhee didn't think he was worth the amount. In hindsight, it seems he was wrong ... even at the time it was a questionable decision.

Even more so when 150k and wages where spent on el turi a few days later....

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf

And the fact that he had proved he was unreliable the season before - it took the club 3 days to find out where he was.
At least Wilkins has an idea, the first day back, of what is going on.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD

Nah, that wasn't it.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Albion won't be held to ransom by Bertin
By Andy Naylor

Albion manager Dean Wilkins today threatened to withdraw the contract offer made to Alexis Bertin, insisting the club will not be "held to ransom" by the French midfielder.

The warning follows a claim by Bertin's representative that he has not ruled out a return to Withdean.

Bertin, as expected, did not report back for the start of pre-season training yesterday and has still not responded to the Seagulls' long-standing offer of a two-year deal.

Albion have become increasingly exasperated by his silence but the player's agent, Chris Lebecque, believes a move back to Withdean for the 27-year-old, signed on a short-term contract from Le Havre last season, remains a possibility.

Lebecque, speaking from Paris, said: "I will be in England in the next couple of days and I will discuss Alexis with Dick Knight and Dean Wilkins. There is competition but Alexis had a good time with Brighton. He likes the city and his wife was very happy there, so let's see."

That drew short shrift from Wilkins, who is preparing to look elsewhere for midfield re-enforcements after losing out on former Ipswich and Derby playmaker Darren Currie to League One rivals Luton Town.

Wilkins said: "Alexis was made a very good offer a number of weeks ago and it has reached a stage now where if he comes back to us maybe that offer is not there for him any more.

"We cannot be held to ransom. The offer cannot be increased. He's had a long time to accept it and we cannot wait forever."

The Argus revealed a week ago that Currie, 32, had also been made an offer to return to Albion but was poised to accept an alternative.

He has signed a two-year contract with relegated Luton and will be coming back to Withdean to play not for the Seagulls but against them on November 3.

Wilkins said: "We made him an offer. The chairman and the Board tried as hard as they could on that one and that is all we can do."

Meanwhile, Wilkins has promised his players plenty of ball work as well as running in his first pre-season as manager.

He said after yesterday's opening session: "It was only day one but they couldn't wait to get back. They are in really good spirits.

"We are going to ease them in gradually to try to avoid any serious stiffness. You have got to put some mileage in but the balls will be out very early."

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/arg...0.albion_wont_be_held_to_ransom_by_bertin.php

??????

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Well done Wilkins for sticking to your guns.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
It's the Iwelumo situation all over again.

Hardly, we have offered Bertin a decent contract and have nade it clear he would be important to us. These things didn't happen with Iwelumo and that is why he left.

Parson Henry

Jan 6, 2004
Victor Bhanerjee's notebook
It was clear to me that the short term deal suited Bertie as it pout him in the shop window so to spaeak. It may be that he never had any intention of making it a long term proposal.

Never mind El-Mood why is there no positive comment about Charlie playing this role?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here