Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Looking for a Flat

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I've got a two bed end of terrace in Darlington available for just £400,000 if you're interested.

Think of all the spending money you'll have.

Huge disparities in such a shortish distance. Staying in a Premier Inn by James Cook Hospital Boro two years ago, large semis in a tidy looking area were one quarter that price.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
With all due respect - F*** off you DFL - you're EXACTLY the reason my children won't be able to afford to buy in their home city.
Former local man makes good and wants to move home?

That's how free market capitalism works. What do you suggest?

Last edited:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
The problem is threefold -

1. People moving down from London having sold their London property for some obscene amount of money. This pushes the price up locally because someone with that much cash can easily afford to outbid someone local.

2. Idiots thinking their home is an investment to be sold at the highest price possible when they wish to move up the ladder.

3. A lack of housing full stop.

Issue 1 is solvable by restricting property sales to locals - like some areas in Cornwall and Devon do. Issue 2 is solvable by fixing issue 3 which means building millions of houses and thus bringing down property prices. Obviously those who have borrowed to the hilt in the hope of a rise in property prices to fund their next purchase won't be happy.

Issue 1 could be resolved almost immediately.

It's a shame he's a few years too late to benefit from your advice and services

Positive - Thatcher, her polices allowed me ( after she had left ) to get on the housing ladder and to become a property developer.

And bringing the discussion back to the original thread ....

As a property developer I object to your inference that I don't work hard or am the cause of the current difficulties.

As an ex-property developer there are two relationships you need to create - on with a local estate agent ( once they know your serious then you'll get a reasonable amount of calls from them ) and one with a local funeral directors ( I kid you not ! ).

As an ex-property developer I'd certainly recommend a survey BUT beware that surveyors will always report the worse possible scenario so don't look at the report without a small pinch of salt.

As an ex-property developer I've brought and sold quite a number of properties. A number of things to bear in mind :

It's all about timing innit :wink:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Tbf flats in the OP’s price range are towards to upper middle/high end of the market even in Brighton & Hove with Central Hove being outside London, one of the most expensive residential areas in the Country. (It’s why I had to move out of the area in order to afford a house).

The problem in Brighton isn’t that some people can afford to buy a £600,000 + property but that there is a shortage of affordable housing at the lower end of the market (which the OP isn’t looking for in B&H). The OP maybe isn’t a first time buyer but you’d be would be very hard pushed indeed to get a flat in a nice area of central London for that price. “ Between 2010 and 2024, the average house price in London rose from 12.2 to 17.4 times average earnings. Waiting lists for council housing have skyrocketed and many renters are struggling to afford a decent place to live. “

Brighton & Hove is one of the most expensive areas in the UK outside London because it is and always will be a London commuter City - nobody is entitled to buy a property of their choice in their home town but maybe there is an argument here for introducing discounts/subsidies into the housing market for those with a local connection?

There are much cheaper flats if you start to look at Hangleton, Portslade and Southwick areas but for young people every where, it is all relative and getting a foot on the housing ladder even with two incomes, in the SE is nigh on impossible without parental support anyway but the national shortage of affordable homes means young people are struggling everywhere.

Problem is, there are also often people who don’t want more homes built near them and campaign vigorously against it. Any Council approving housing developments are always going to be unpopular but maybe with the Government’s mandatory new build targets people like your children will benefit. https://www.onlondon.co.uk/dan-toml...abour-mps-knows-all-about-the-housing-crisis/
This.

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
To the OP and a reminder to all of us, this fundamental should be prominent in your mind.

IMG_2386.png

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Huge disparities in such a shortish distance. Staying in a Premier Inn by James Cook Hospital Boro two years ago, large semis in a tidy looking area were one quarter that price.
To be fair, without checking I think Darlo is a bit pricier than Middlesbrough. Chalk it down to being on the right side of the Tees. And other, actual boring reasons.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
With all due respect - F*** off you DFL - you're EXACTLY the reason my children won't be able to afford to buy in their home city.
Didn’t you just inherit a bunch of Brighton rental properties from your father?

Edit: in addition to this, from an earlier post in this thread, it seems you were also a property developer.

May I suggest 1) Your and your family have also contributed to increased Brighton prices and 2) Can’t you give your kids one of your pads?

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Not specifically but I can’t rate BN3 3D postcode highly enough.

I have mobility limitations too and found living in Central Hove was perfect - near to all bus routes, near to Blatchington Road supermarkets and main thoroughfare of Church Road with great bars and restaurants a few minutes walk away - I was adjacent to George Street with shops/cafes. Lots of imposing Victorian properties with large spacious rooms (which my dog loved) and very large gardens. 5 mins walk from seafront with dog friendly beach with miles of promenade.

I would especially recommend Denmark Villas, Ventnor Villas (my old road) or Palmeira Avenue. Very close to the County Cricket ground and on the 25 bus route to the University. Also 3-5 minutes walk to Hove Station with direct trains to Victoria or Brighton Station.

Go for a ground floor property with sole use of the garden and a share of the freehold.

Something like this might appeal but it is Leasehold so depends on freeholder whether pets are allowed

View attachment 185456View attachment 185457View attachment 185458
Some good advice here. Medina is a lovely road, as are most of the 'Villas' roads which lead down to the sea. Having the sea at the end of your road, and The Neptune pub, and Maroccos ice cream place, was an absolute delight even in the winter.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I am looking to move to Brighton or Hove from London, I wondered whether anyone local may know of flats for sale in a nice part of the City that would accommodate someone like me. I am not as mobile as I used to be and have 2 dogs and a cat, I am looking to buy and not rent so thought that locals may be able to offer me unbiased advice and perhaps make some suggestions. I am looking at spending anything up to £650,000 but am open to suggestions, but think that my mobility issues and the fact I have pets may make it a bit harder.

Any thoughts or advices would be greatly received. Thanks in advance
I wish you luck both with apartment hunting.... and also with NSC as I see this is your first post!

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
How do you know it isn't his home city? I was born and brought up in the area but have lived in London for many years. I'm now thinking of moving back - but I know I'll be accused of being a DFL!

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Brighton was cheaper than Crawley in the 80's. The main thing that changed that was the improvement of the A23.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Brighton was cheaper than Crawley in the 80's. The main thing that changed that was the improvement of the A23.
Also Brighton at the time was pretty rundown and certainly not the hip cool desirable city it is now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here