Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Looking for a Flat

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Ah…..but they were doing dodgy lending well before that as well ….i know i was involved in the ‘collection’ side of the business albeit commercial property

Yes, the great scandal of Endowment mortgages (which I bought my first property with in the 80s)

By the end of the 1980s, with the housing market and stock market booming, the great misguided public were told that by paying only interest on their mortgages, their policies would mature with overblown expectations of a high investment value lump sum. By the mid 90s, when the housing market collapsed due to a 15% interest rate, it was obvious they’d been sold a sham and millions of homeowners went into negative equity and couldn’t afford to pay the interest on their policies.

its the east side

Jul 11, 2024
Hi Thanks for reaching out, sorry about ll the negative comments, I think it is wise to ask locals for their views in an area that you don't know as well as they do.

If it helps I viewed a lovely 2 bed new build flat opposite Hove Park, its a lovely area and although a flat had a private rear garden and communal gardens so may be a worth a look for you and you pets, they're ground floor as well and in your price range. Hove Park is a lovely area of our wonderful city, amongst other areas, but that type of thing may fit the bill.

Unfortunately it was a bit beyond our means, but I loved the flat, just couldn't quite push that far. A link of the apartments is below. Anyways its just a thought for whats its worth without the micky taking or hate of where you're looking to move from. Good luck in your search.

Good luck!

Jul 20, 2003
I am looking to move to Brighton or Hove from London, I wondered whether anyone local may know of flats for sale in a nice part of the City that would accommodate someone like me. I am not as mobile as I used to be and have 2 dogs and a cat, I am looking to buy and not rent so thought that locals may be able to offer me unbiased advice and perhaps make some suggestions. I am looking at spending anything up to £650,000 but am open to suggestions, but think that my mobility issues and the fact I have pets may make it a bit harder.

Any thoughts or advices would be greatly received. Thanks in advance

A mate is selling a very nice flat in central Hove. Agents pictures don't do it justice and miss that there is a separate shower as well as the bath.
It's one road over from George Street shops, a few good pubs/ restaurants nearby. About 1/4 mile from the cricket ground if that's your thing. There's a bus stop accessing everywhere in town nearby and Hove station is about 1/4 of a mile away. About 1/4 of a mile from the seaside!
Lovely part of B&H.
Nice garden at the back.
Access to the flat is down 3 steps but it wouldn't be a major job to make it easier if you needed that now or in years to come.

If you are planning to arrange a day of viewings I would thoroughly recommend it.

Edit. my estimated distances were out. Train, cricket and beach are all about a 1/3rd mile away.

Last edited:

Zeberdi

NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022

Zeberdi

NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022

A mate is selling a very nice flat in central Hove. Agents pictures don't do it justice and miss that there is a separate shower as well as the bath.
It's one road over from George Street shops, a few good pubs/ restaurants nearby. About 1/4 mile from the cricket ground if that's your thing. There's a bus stop accessing everywhere in town nearby and Hove station is about 1/4 of a mile away. About 1/4 of a mile from the seaside!
Lovely part of B&H.
Nice garden at the back.
Access to the flat is down 3 steps but it wouldn't be a major job to make it easier if you needed that now or in years to come.

If you are planning to arrange a day of viewings I would thoroughly recommend it.

Edit. my estimated distances were out. Train, cricket and beach are all about a 1/3rd mile away.
I saw that flat for sale yesterday. It doesn’t appeal to my taste but a great flat.

I lived opposite about 50 yards down for over 10 years so can vouch that Ventnor Villas is justifiably one of the most desirable roads to buy property in Hove.

I’ll add that there is a newish medical centre across the road, and there is a recycling point on the corner next to the church.

The train station is literally 5 minutes average walk but there is a taxi rank across the road.

Parking is a problem - Ventnor Villas has residential parking but there could be a waiting list.

Jul 20, 2003
I saw that flat for sale yesterday. It doesn’t appeal to my taste but a great flat.

I lived opposite about 50 yards down for over 10 years so can vouch that Ventnor Villas is justifiably one of the most desirable roads to buy property in Hove.

I’ll add that there is a newish medical centre across the road, and there is a recycling point on the corner next to the church.

The train station is literally 5 minutes average walk but there is a taxi rank across the road.

Parking is a problem - Ventnor Villas has residential parking but there could be a waiting list.

It is a smashing flat, I'd have it myself but I'm about £496,000 short of the asking price.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Ah…..but they were doing dodgy lending well before that as well ….i know i was involved in the ‘collection’ side of the business albeit commercial property

It went in waves, from the 80's, under both blue and red.

Free for all with self cert mortgages and high lending ratios, a clampdown, then a free for all with self cert mortgages and high lending ratios. Rinse and repeat.

Labour and Tory chancellors never learned the lesson from history.

Zeberdi

NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
It is a smashing flat, I'd have it myself but I'm about £496,000 short of the asking price.
It is internally - it’s the layout I’m not keen on - the front door leads straight into the second bedroom and it’s a lower ground floor so maybe too dark for me. Tbh I wasn’t keen on the layout of my upper ground floor flat in Ventnor but it was stunning and very bright inside with enormous rooms (which took up the entire ground floor of the mansion property ) , portico entrance, cornices, ceiling roses, chandeliers and high ceilings with ceiling to floor almost sash windows, solid wooden shutters, oak fire surround and stripped pine flooring throughout with Italian porcelain tiled floor in kitchen. Just hated that you had to access garden through the bathroom down some steps and go down the hallway from the kitchen to access front room. Miss living there terribly - especially living next to George Street coffee shops and near the Cricket Ground…and near station/buses.

PS - the garden is private in this case and presumably has no R.of W access to others but I would advise based on past experience against renting or buying a ground floor or lower ground floor property that backs onto a communal garden, or where the neighbours have right of way through your garden, you never get any privacy!

Last edited:

Zeberdi

NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Wait, what? :LOL:
The bay window is at the front of the house (back of the house flat georgian style) - front door leading into second bedroom which is a problem if you have guests and one back door from lounge. I suspect most occupiers would access the flat from the rear of the poperty so it’s not a deal breaker particulary but even that door goes directly into the lounge.

As I agreed with @Pevenseagull it is a lovely flat but for me the layout is problematic. (I’m big on needing a layout I like after spending 10 years in a property with one I didn’t).

IMG_1195.jpeg

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Covid and the stamp duty holiday over heated the market in 2020 / 2021 putting it ouf of reach for most local buyers hence people mowing from even more expensive London or local first time buyers getting large gifts from family to even get on the housing ladder

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Hopefully the op has found the advice they were looking for.

Can't say I'm a fan of the Goldstone Crescent property though. It looks a real blot on the landscape.
Then coutesy and good manners would dictate that "cheers folks. sorted" is appropriate. No?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here