Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

London Commuters and the Olympics

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
No'one will be going to events at 8am & with half of commuters having this f/n off hols/WFH it MAY even be quieter into work

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

The IOC delegation must have thought it strange when they were doing their tour of the bidding venues in 2005 how the cavalcade of vehicles never had to stop at a red light. It was recently revealed that the lead car had GPS tracking and traffic controllers using CCTV altered traffic light priorities to give them green lights all the way.

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
Several months ago the Olympic committee stated that to commuters should make alternate plans to avoid delaying those attending the games,last week it was announced that Civil servants could work from home for the period of the games,the rest of you.........
No doubt those who welcomed the fact that London had been selected are having second thoughts now,apart from travel disruptions,the huge increase on the origin costs of the games and the possible security incidents.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I don't live or work anywhere near London, and have no intention of ever doing so. As a result I don't give a stuff.

For information.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
They'll probably close the network down if it gets too busy.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Oh for f"cks sake, really ? There is nothing more i hate as a commuter than tourists on the train.They are too excitable, looking forward to thier day out

I'm the opposite. I find it big fun to be on the tube at weekends with multitudes of randomly ambling tourists who are there because they want to be. Infinitely preferable to being caged with the snarling sweaty psychotic commuter crew who hate everyone and everything to do with their weekday commute.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Anyone with a ticket to the Olympics can buy a rail ticket which will allow you to travel at any time (incl. before 0900) at a reduced fare than normal, so the transport system to and in London will see alot of extra passengers, also they get free travel on the underground.

oh for f*** sake. will us season ticket holders get a discount if we dont use our tickets during the period as asked...?

i've convinced myself that the monring wont be too busy as things wont have started yet (right?), so i intend to practice the olypmic sport of speed commuting, with my elbows pointed out and the laptop bag a-swinging.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
It's the peak pm that's going to be the issue, especially at London Bridge. Special days to avoid London are any days when there are free events going on e.g. cycle road race, marathon

The free travelcard with Olympic tickets is a great deal. Think it's worth about £15 just itself

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
Rustington, Littlehampton
As usual this is just another massive pant-shitting exercise and I predict it will be fine. Despite our company making noises about alternative working arrangements but still adhering to customer needs I very much doubt it will as bad as is being made out.

I really do not think I will be affected but then on my journey to work everyday I am on the first train from the coast to London when the rest of the civilized world is still in bed!

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Littlehampton BHA

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Our office is in London Bridge.

HR sent an email that delays will be up to 1 hour at London Bridge, and up to 45 mins at Canada Water (where I live) from 8am-10am basically every day.

Our whole office is working from home though, about 6,000 people. So could turn out quieter :lolol:

Our office even do a 'work at home' trial day last week LOL.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I think it could be a bit of a mare in London, but on the bright side, no engineering works, I bet the signals don't crash and all will be running smoothly on the public transport. Just an extra 90 million (or is that billion) people in the capital... us Londoners live with it 365 anyway, so nothing new.

Dalos

Mar 2, 2009
Like most I'm not too worried about getting into London, but it's trying to understand what the evening commute will be like.

The 17.42 is standing room only so wandering what this will be like, although the half term should help

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
i'm working at the Olympic park at the very start and travelling in from the Lancaster hotel... we get paid an hour for this trip in and out.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Like most I'm not too worried about getting into London, but it's trying to understand what the evening commute will be like.

The 17.42 is standing room only so wandering what this will be like, although the half term should help

Agreed getting in to London is generally ok but getting home can be a nightmare and falls apart if there is any increase in numbers so I will be on holiday for the first week and working from home for the rest of the Olympics.

Seagrrl

Jan 22, 2012
Hove
Interestingly the company I work for are a bit worried about the capacity of the internet to deal with all the people remote logging on from home during the Olympics. Not sure what I'll bve doing yet but commute is to Victoria so hopefully not as bad as the London Bridge brigade, may revert to the 0557 from Hove and leave early.

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Here, there and everywhere
I won't actually be able to get home on some days as the area where I live gets completely annexed off when they do street-based races. They did a dummy run last year and I literally couldn't get back home till the evening as all the roads were shut.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Interestingly the company I work for are a bit worried about the capacity of the internet to deal with all the people remote logging on from home during the Olympics.

i assume you mean you company's internet connection. it is a concern, its not as simple as people think. our IT director laugh at the suggestion we could support everyone (about 500) working from home. we deal with large volumes of data so have the network capacity in spades, but you need to have the server infrastructure in place, with the applications available on virtual machines etc. then a method to access all this - how to deal with those using a desktop rather than a laptop to take home. i doubt the civil service is geared up and that was some bluster from a minister the otherday. its not as simple as pointing a web broswer to a company site.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here