Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

London Commuters and the Olympics

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Interested to know what peoples thoughts and fears are re their commute into London during the games.

I go to L.Bridge daily and just reading the TFL projections of absolute carnage, im fearing the worse.

Anybody been told to work from home etc

I do Shoreham to LB every day, and am just starting to think about this. TFL are saying that LB will possibly be the worst hit for travelling, but I think they may mean the underground rather than mainline, but I'm not sure. I don't use the tube, I walk across London Bridge.

I would like to think I'll be working from home, which will also mean I'll get to see more of it on TV - as working from home for me is lying on the sofa with my laptop and the TV on (yes, I do do a lot of work that way, and tend to do more hours than usual too).

Dalos

Mar 2, 2009
I do Shoreham to LB every day, and am just starting to think about this. TFL are saying that LB will possibly be the worst hit for travelling, but I think they may mean the underground rather than mainline, but I'm not sure. I don't use the tube, I walk across London Bridge.

I would like to think I'll be working from home, which will also mean I'll get to see more of it on TV - as working from home for me is lying on the sofa with my laptop and the TV on (yes, I do do a lot of work that way, and tend to do more hours than usual too).

Oh I'm definitely more productive when I work at home than in the office.

Back to the commute I think looking more into it,there will be some bad days, and some really bad days -ie particular dates when there is an extra 20,000 visiting the equestrian events. I really believe the mornings will be ok,but the evenings are going to be the problem.Lets wait and see though, just interesting to see what other companies are suggesting re their staffs working arrangements for that month

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Oh I'm definitely more productive when I work at home than in the office.

Back to the commute I think looking more into it,there will be some bad days, and some really bad days -ie particular dates when there is an extra 20,000 visiting the equestrian events. I really believe the mornings will be ok,but the evenings are going to be the problem.Lets wait and see though, just interesting to see what other companies are suggesting re their staffs working arrangements for that month

We've not discussed it here yet, but I might bring it up shortly. The trains are bad enough on "normal" days, anything extra will add to the strain.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
Will it have such a huge effect on us London Bridge commuters though?
Visitors to the olympics wont be up as early as us commuters and so the mornings should be fine. The commuters evening rush hour doesn't clash with those going to or from the events at the olympic stadium either.
Factor in all those who are intendding to work from home anyway and I think it will all be quite chilled.
The commuting problems are more pertinent for those trying to get to and from the olympic stadium around the same time.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
Visitors to the olympics wont be up as early as us commuters and so the mornings should be fine. The commuters evening rush hour doesn't clash with those going to or from the events at the olympic stadium either.
Factor in all those who are intendding to work from home anyway and I think it will all be quite chilled.
The commuting problems are more pertinent for those trying to get to and from the olympic stadium around the same time.

It's going to have a huge effect at LB for the evening peak. Especially for the days when there are events at Greenwich and the Olympic Park. Don't kid yourself into thinking it will be ok.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
im slightly confused by the focus on London Bridge. only those coming from Kent and East Sussex will going that way, many of which would be commuters anyway, and will know alternatives, drive up etc. wont similar or greater numbers be coming into Victoria accounting for people inbound from Gatwick, and the same for Paddington from Heathrow?

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham

The word from my boss is that the recommendation is that if you have not completed your journey by 07:00 each day, then you are likely to be affected.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
im slightly confused by the focus on London Bridge. only those coming from Kent and East Sussex will going that way, many of which would be commuters anyway, and will know alternatives, drive up etc. wont similar or greater numbers be coming into Victoria accounting for people inbound from Gatwick, and the same for Paddington from Heathrow?

Loads of London surburban services, plus Thameslink north as well as south. Victoria to Straford is annoying so anyone coming into London from the South will choose LB to arrive and depart.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I've just checked and the Olympic Torch relay is passing the end of my road on 11th July, so it looks like I might be affected after all.

Did you know the tradition of running the Olympic torch from Athens to the host venue only came about in 1936.

Yup. Hitlers idea.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Didn't we fight a war to stop this sort of thing ? All this stuff about torches and flames sounds like pagan mumbo jumbo to an Anglican like me.

Shocking isn't it.

Perhaps they should set up some kind of Wicker Man at the Olympic Stadium and set fire to that. Maybe have Lord Coe, Boris Johnson and Diane Abbott inside.

I'd certainly tune in to the opening ceremony to see that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here