Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

London 2012 Tickets............Anyone Applied?

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
Anyone know what on earth the £20 tickets for the opening/closing ceremony involve?
Do you even get to be in the city centre for that price, or just watching on a giant screen from Croydon :lolol:

Jul 12, 2003
Oxfordshire
Not far short of £4000 worth of tix applied for...

26 different events across 12 different sports, for me & son, or all 4 of us.

Mostly applied for cheapest seats, but have spread the application over the 'big' sessions (Bolt, Hoy, Pendleton (mmmmm), Idowu, Daley, Adlington etc) and some prelims/heats/1st rounds of 'lesser' sports - eg. volleyball, hockey, canoeing, canoe sprint etc., where I can get me & son to watch an Olympic sport in this country for £32. In any sensible sport-lover's eyes, that is a bargain.

I'm working on the assumption that we'll be lucky to get 1 in 5 of the tix in our application; that could then work out to £800-ish, which is cheaper than the holiday we would have gone on had the Olympics not been on in 2012.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Cyling for me. Track and mountaining biking.

The UCI spoil us thought normally £25 for a whole days track. Olympics up to £325 for 2 1/2 hours....

Oh well am desperate for a ticket for at least one day.

Zamoracomehome

Apr 12, 2010
Hove
Seb Coe on Five Live just now refused to rule out a second phase of a very similar ticketing process...but quickly corrected himself to say that we should concentrate on this phase. Sounds like the most tickets available are events like Badminton, Basketball etc.

Any remaining tickets will be sold on a first come first served basis in a few months time...there are also tickets for 'test events' being released thoughout the next 8-9 months.

All that plus there will be an official resale site...so you can trade in tickets you don't want and buy the available tickets..although this won't be set up until early next year so you'd have to wait ages for a refund.

Blue and White Tiger

Exiled to Exeter
Jul 6, 2010
I've applied for £500 worth of tickets for me and the mrs, it's a crap system really.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Both my wife and I have put in for tickets, for some of the main events (Opening ceremony, mens 100m final) we've doubled our chances by both applying as they'll be very oversubscribed and if we're really lucky and both get them, then we will look to use the trade in service when it is launched.

Other things we've applied for are a daytime athletics session (mainly qualifying and womens shot putt etc) but a good one to take the children to, basketball qualifiers, football at wembley and gymnastics.

I think the Jessica Ennis final session of the womens heptathlon could prove to be the London's Kathy Freeman moment and anyone who has tickets for that should be in for a great evening.

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
I've gone for 5, non-clashing sessions at a total of about £500

I'll go watch the free stuff anyway i.e the cycling road race, cycling time trials and the marathons so if I get a couple of my applications that'll be enough. I wouldn't want to spend the Olympics like some sort of commuter.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
ive gone for the opening ceremony and the mens 100m finals night.

Its all about those 2 really.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Both me and my wife have applied for all the same events, total cost will be £3,500 if we get them, which we won't!!!

I view it though that even if we get duplicate tickets there will be plenty of people I know (or on here) that will take them off our hands for face value) so whats the risk?

Demand seems to be increasing anyway so we may end up with nothing.

BBC News - London 2012: Public tickets for big events

I think the ticketing system is okay, the major bugbear I have with it is that they take the money out without telling you; I don't understand why they don't tell you what you've won (and what you owe), and say that they will take the money out on a certain date (say 1 month later) to give people time to get their accounts in order. As it is I'll have to make sure there's £800 sitting in my account when I have a snowball in hell's chance of actually having to pay out that much.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Only applied for four events, won't hold my breath but would be nice if just one of the four applications came up trumps!

02 August 2012 Thursday 11:30-20:00 - Wimbledon Ground Pass
Men's Singles Quarterfinals
Women's Singles Quarterfinals
Men's Doubles Semifinals
Women's Doubles Semifinals
Mixed Doubles Quarterfinals

05 August 2012 Sunday 18:50-21:55 - Olympic Stadium
Men's Long Jump Victory Ceremony
Women's 400m Hurdles Round 1
Men's High Jump Qualifying Rounds - Groups A & B
Women's Triple Jump Final
Men's 100m Semifinals
Men's 10,000m Victory Ceremony
Men's 1500m Semifinals
Men's Hammer Throw Final
Women's 100m Victory Ceremony
Men's 400m Semifinals
Women's Marathon Victory Ceremony
Women's 400m Final
Women's Triple Jump Victory Ceremony
Men's 3000m Steeplechase Final
Women's 400m Victory Ceremony
Men's 100m Final

07 August 2012 Tuesday 17:00-19:00 - Wembley Stadium
Men's Semifinal

11 August 2012 Saturday 18:45-21:30 - Olympic Stadium
Men's 4 x 400m Relay Victory Ceremony
Women's High Jump Final
Men's Pole Vault Victory Ceremony
Men's Javelin Throw Final
Men's 5000m Final
Women's Hammer Throw Victory Ceremony
Women's 800m Final
Men's 50km Walk Victory Ceremony
Women's 4 x 400m Relay Final
Men's 5000m Victory Ceremony
Women's 20km Walk Victory Ceremony
Men's 4 x 100m Relay Final
Women's 800m Victory Ceremony
Women's 4 x 400m Relay Victory Ceremony
Men's Javelin Throw Victory Ceremony
Men's 4 x 100m Relay Victory Ceremony
Women's High Jump Victory Ceremony

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Thing is, there will be LOADS of unsold tickets by the end of all this, because people will be hedging their bets and choosing the finals, semis and other big days. Hour-long qualifying events on a Tuesday morning that are only a bit cheaper than the biggies will not attract much attention. Many days will be well oversubscribed, and some will be totally undersubscribed.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Massively gambled (considering my funds and this year/next years season ticket) and went for 700 quids worth of tickets as I'm desperate to go.

VERY relieved that there will be the system set up to return any excess ones if i'm somehow overly lucky/unlucky with the amount I get.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
How else could they have done it?

Why couldn't they have done this exact system, but then once the ballots have been drawn tell everyone what they were able to buy tickets for, and say they had a month to make payment and purchase these tickets. Once the month was up the tickets are no longer reserved and just went on general sale?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here