Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Local walks with good boozers

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Got tomorrow off and am looking for a decent length country walk (7-8 miles) with a pub to stop at for lunch. Anyone got any bright ideas?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Alfriston + Seven Sisters?

Seagull's Return

Nov 7, 2003
Brighton
What about walking down the river from Lewes to Southease, turning eastwards up onto the Downs for a mile or so, then cutting across to Glynde and the Trevor Arms? You can get back to Lewes on foot over Caburn or by train. Pleasant walk in good weather.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Seven_Sisters_chalk_cliffs_south_coast_sussex.jpg

Walk here.
Alfriston+market+place.jpg

Then pub here.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
The best one used to be the tiger at east dean but I believe it's closed down. I'd suggest walking over mount caburn from lewes to the Trevor arms or along the top of firle beacon and down to the cricketers at Berwick. All the pubs closet to Brighton (full moon at plumpton, royal oak at poynings, dog and shepherd at fulking) are now an utter rip off! The dog and shepherd is the least ripoffish of the three, but it's stop £7 for an exceptionally small cheese baguette, though they do have dark star and Harveys.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
The best one used to be the tiger at east dean but I believe it's closed down. I'd suggest walking over mount caburn from lewes to the Trevor arms or along the top of firle beacon and down to the cricketers at Berwick. All the pubs closet to Brighton (full moon at plumpton, royal oak at poynings, dog and shepherd at fulking) are now an utter rip off! The dog and shepherd is the least ripoffish of the three, but it's stop £7 for an exceptionally small cheese baguette, though they do have dark star and Harveys.

the tiger has just been re opened under new management. food has always been good in there but dear and a bit up itself. murder to get a table too. if you are that way the 8 bells is far better, much more room, less pricey and not as full of complete c unts.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
...and as you didn't say where, I'd also recommend a hike over blencathra then a meal at the horse and farrier in Threlkeld with a lovely pint of Jennings snecklifter.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
the tiger has just been re opened under new management. food has always been good in there but dear and a bit up itself. murder to get a table too. if you are that way the 8 bells is far better, much more room, less pricey and not as full of complete c unts.

I went about a year ago and it was about a fiiver for the nicest ploughmans I've ever had!

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Got tomorrow off and am looking for a decent length country walk (7-8 miles) with a pub to stop at for lunch. Anyone got any bright ideas?

Take sandwiches - sandwiches never taste as sublime as when you stop off on a long walk and scoff them down.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Take sandwiches - sandwiches never taste as sublime as when you stop off on a long walk and scoff them down.

I am thinking about this, plus it's way cheaper. I might just drive out to Cuckmere way and decide on a walk when I get there.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I went about a year ago and it was about a fiiver for the nicest ploughmans I've ever had!

fair one. i have paid 15-17 quid for a main on many occasions though. not being tight its just a piss take for a pub lunch in anyones book.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Ate at the Shepherd & Dog in Jan and it really was a disappointment. Food took a long time (on a not too crowded week day) and was seriously average. Really felt like we'd been done. Not one I'd walk to. I hear that the Royal Oak has come up a bit over the years (access from the bottom end of the Dyke).

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I am thinking about this, plus it's way cheaper. I might just drive out to Cuckmere way and decide on a walk when I get there.

Plus you get the satisfaction of marvelling at your own sandwich making technique, whilst enjoying a good view!

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
What about walking down the river from Lewes to Southease, turning eastwards up onto the Downs for a mile or so, then cutting across to Glynde and the Trevor Arms? You can get back to Lewes on foot over Caburn or by train. Pleasant walk in good weather.

Listen to this man, birthday boy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here