Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Local walks with good boozers

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Ate at the Shepherd & Dog in Jan and it really was a disappointment. Food took a long time (on a not too crowded week day) and was seriously average. Really felt like we'd been done. Not one I'd walk to. I hear that the Royal Oak has come up a bit over the years (access from the bottom end of the Dyke).
Agreed. We went there for a birthday in October. VERY average food, overpriced and the place looks a bit like it's been furnished from an Ikea catalogue. The Jack and Jill at Clayton is also a complete rip-off.

I always quite liked the Frankland Arms at Washington but we were there the other week (having walked from Cissbury to Chanctonbury) and it had slipped a bit.

The sandwiches option is a good one, but then you do have to lug them with you unless you do a circular walk or get someone to meet you at the other end.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Always used to enjoy the Ale Trail in the summer which includes a lot of the boozers already mentioned. Didn’t always agree with the 40 pubs included though. Doing the Hanover pubs was a great Saturday out - still don’t know why they took the Constant Service off the list, great pint of Harveys and food choice in a good location. I was surprised when I found out the pubs had to pay for inclusion in the list - takes away some of Camra’s claims for independence in my view. Possibly also the reason some pubs which should be on the list aren’t - they don’t feel the need to pay to get on the list when they do enough trade anyway.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Good news:- The Mortal Man is in the middle of my greatest circular walk.
Bad news:- You start at Ambleside, in The Lake District.

On a more serious note, should you ever find yourself in the better half of Sussex, (I'm guessing you won't fancy a 45min drive prior to walkies) you really can't go wrong with the Downs north of Goodwood. I'm thinking of Hayshott, Graffham, East Dean, Duncton etc.
All with pubs, all in quintisensual (sp) unspoilt Downlands, plus the odd hill challenge, to make that pint taste extra special.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here